Military Tactics and Trading

Salty Gibbon said:
If you were a Greek philosopher, so would you pal.
To be more accurate..... a dead greek philosopher..... and is thus mercifully spared his imitators ramblings.... the lucky *******

chrisw said:
Wasn't an insatiable drive of mastery for me mate, just the money!

I don't find a particular buzz when trading either. I find it dull and mundane most of the time but I earn $ X at the end of the week I'm happy :D
Exactly, the pro's find it boring because they seperate their ego from trading... those who get a "buzz" will end up fodder for the pro's sooner or later

chrisw said:
Wasn't an insatiable drive of mastery for me mate, just the money!

I don't find a particular buzz when trading either. I find it dull and mundane most of the time but I earn $ X at the end of the week I'm happy :D

............ That said, I do find a pleasure in being able to reproduce the befits daily and produce an income from the hard work previously put in to achieve my current situation.

It can still be boring at times though

Getting back to the thread topic....

Not having ever had any military experience, I can see an element of being able to predict the enemy/markets moves by studying there previous behaviour and being able to react accordingly.

Behaviour is the result of cause. Within cause there is requirement. For each requirement there is a preferred tactic. These tactics, if successful are repeated from time to time, intermingled with other successful tactics.A close and extensive study of these tactics in detail in past campaigns gives a clue to the style or mode of the adversary, and not forgetting the perimiter of capability and possibiliy, and what is the most likely probalble outcome given a series of similar conditions in the future.

which offers the opportunities for those who understand and can see.

JumpOff said:
As long as we are on a war metaphor, I'd like to point out that the people who usually profit most from a war are those who are rarely noticed - It's not the politicians, not the soldiers, not the civilian victims, not the generals, not the victorious or defeated agressor nation, not the entity who was attacked. It was that small group who quietly laid their plans well in advance, and were cordial enough to oblige when a desperate request was made to them.....
JO
JO Come on. You've been on-line since my last post on this thread.

Are you going to expand on the partial list of those who do not benefit from war or tell us who you believe really sets these things up - or are you just attempting to be deep without the intention or ability to convey any useful information?

mmm, well I don't regard myself as a participant in a war (armed with only a pea-shooter I wouldn't last long :rolleyes: ) but as a spectator and camp follower.

I pledge allegiance to what seems the strongest army and they reward me for my loyalty and support little knowing that my allegiance is but transitory. I am unconcerned when they lose the odd battle or two, but I visit those battle fronts secretly to watch and join the camp of those gaining the upper hand to feed off the scraps of their plunder and pillage before I fade into the night as soon as they meet stern resistance.

I hope you battle hardened trader commandos will forgive me for my cowardice in not joining up and offering an easy cut to my throat. I will make a comfortable pillow from the white feathers I receive :)

good battling

jon

You may say it in jest, but if you read the works of Tsun Tzu, The Art of War, that is exactly what he says and insofar as tactics are concerned, is valid to this day. Amazing to think it was written many centuries ago.

SOCRATES said:
And I advise you not to offer any further comment on this, full stop.
Very occasionally Bertie, you miss the point and make a muck of it. Your well-intentioned advice (which I am sure it was) has most likely only served to further exacerbate the inappropriate (accidental?) exposure of this issue rather than dig it deeper which was your misinformed intent - to the detriment of none other than yourself I'm afraid. Take care.

TheBramble said:
JO Come on. You've been on-line since my last post on this thread.

Are you going to expand on the partial list of those who do not benefit from war or tell us who you believe really sets these things up - or are you just attempting to be deep without the intention or ability to convey any useful information?

Bramble - I have been "online." In fact I almost always have T2W open, but it is often in the background while I work on other things (and sometimes when I am not even home). Even if I had this thread open after you posted, it doesn't mean I am "withholding" my posts. The nature of a discussion board is that the participants are not required to chat in real time, but can go do other things, or take time to consider what they write before they write it. I would never tease you on purpose!

I don't believe I said anything about "who sets these things up." Although I suppose it's possible for a person or persons to "set the war machine in motion," I doubt that it is necessary. Why waste your energy pushing water downhill will it will eventually get there on it's own?

My point was that after every war there is always one group of folks who have more money than they did before the war started. I suspect that many of them even thought it was their "patriotic duty" to "oblige when the desperate request " was made. Are you a student of history?

JO

---------------------
Edit: Actually, I would tease that brambly one, and enjoy it too, if I'd been bright enough to think of it in advance. ;)

The thing with dear old Bramble is, that once you are lured into a discussion, it goes on and on. At first, last year, I thought, form the innumerable questions he had to ask of everybody, that he was collating material to write a book, but now I come to realise that he is permanently inquisitive. Once you give an explanation, however comprehensive, there is no end to it. He will proceed to nit pick and argue back and forth endlessly. But how can you be annoyed by someone as entertaining and charming as he is ? I ask you. And, voted the site's "most helpful member", to boot.

SOCRATES said:
The thing with dear old Bramble is, that once you are lured into a discussion, it goes on and on. At first, last year, I thought, form the innumerable questions he had to ask of everybody, that he was collating material to write a book, but now I come to realise that he is permanently inquisitive.
Permanently inquisitive? Yes. Totally agree and I have absolutely no intention of changing that. It's taken too long and been too hard a grind to get that way.

I did write a book on trading before I joined the site, but purely for my own use. It didn't start out as a book of course, just notes on my 'trading models' and custom indicators... :LOL: it ended up as 200 pages of absolute crap.

So on that basis - I guess I should publish!!!

SOCRATES said:
Once you give an explanation, however comprehensive, there is no end to it. He will proceed to nit pick and argue back and forth endlessly.
Now that's not quite true is it? But here I am, proving your point. You trickster you... :rolleyes:

SOCRATES said:
But how can you be annoyed by someone as entertaining and charming as he is ? I ask you. And, voted the site's "most helpful member", to boot.
Well thank you for your spot-on character assessment. Your perspicacity will never be in doubt again.

But I need to put you right on one thing Bertie, and it's not the first time you've alluded to this - I was not voted this site's 'Most' anything...ever...

I'll answer JO's response next, but please Bertie, don't try and head me off again - you know I'm going to get there in the end.

Shep! Come boy...

JumpOff said:
My point was that after every war there is always one group of folks who have more money than they did before the war started. I suspect that many of them even thought it was their "patriotic duty" to "oblige when the desperate request " was made. Are you a student of history?
The probem with a closed question is that is doesn't easily allow discussion to develop...However, in your original post you stated stated

JumpOff said:
As long as we are on a war metaphor, I'd like to point out that the people who usually profit most from a war are those who are rarely noticed - It's not the politicians, not the soldiers, not the civilian victims, not the generals, not the victorious or defeated agressor nation, not the entity who was attacked. It was that small group who quietly laid their plans well in advance, and were cordial enough to oblige when a desperate request was made to them.....
{my emphasis}

Which is a bit different to "after every war there is always one group of folks who have more money than they did before the war started".

The first is an implication of a small cadre with well developed expectations or perhaps even a more hands-on direction of events unfolding - the latter nothing more than a potentially serendipitous windfall.

But let it go. I was just after your intent and I think I've probably got that now.

Bramble, you know the answers, and you and I know you know the answers. Don't be naughty.

"that small group who quietly laid their plans well in advance" are normally the same "group of folks who have more money than they did before the war started". Do they set these things in motion? Maybe. . (But human nature and population growth being what it is , that really is a lot of unnecessary bother.) The really nefarious talent is being in position to do what the warring parties both agree desperately needs to be done, and for which both of the warring parties are willing to pay dearly.

Some would say it's just business, but it's a mighty sad business if you ask me.

That is as clear as I can make it. (I suspect you already understood it , but it was fun to write it all in one piece for those who have arrived late to the party).
JO

JumpOff said:
"that small group who quietly laid their plans well in advance" are normally the same "group of folks who have more money than they did before the war started". Do they set these things in motion? Maybe. . (But human nature and population growth being what it is , that really is a lot of unnecessary bother.) The really nefarious talent is being in position to do what the warring parties both agree desperately needs to be done, and for which both of the warring parties are willing to pay dearly.

Some would say it's just business, but it's a mighty sad business if you ask me.

That is as clear as I can make it. (I suspect you already understood it , but it was fun to write it all in one piece for those who have arrived late to the party).
JO[/QUOTE

Roundabout they are not familiar, with measuring changes.

But I am not telling them if you are not. Cryptic clue. (12). Across.

Last edited:
Fader said:
Censorship is the last resort of the coward and the enemy of truth

Fader,

Very true. However, the T2W site guidelines spell out the limits. We do try to keep threads flowing and on-topic and ensure that posts remain civilised, polite and free of personal attacks. The vast majority of members want it that way.

good trading

jon