Binary Tactics and Manipulation

stig

I am reasonably new to this website but have been trading binaries since Finspreads introduced them. Firstly part time and in July 06 started full time. I don't make a bomb put I do make a living and am learning all the time. I must have made thousands of trades. Here then is just a few observations:-

1) I never double up or trade an amount that would give me serious heart pulpitations. It appears to me from reading posts that a lot of people seem to trade big numbers to get 1 correct trade and take rest of day off. You should trade regularly with smaller amounts and try to maintain a constant flow of winning trades. This builds confidence and reduces heart rate.

2) I never trade the first half hour on an hourly as more often than not, due to time frame it will move against you.

3) Maintain an open mind and try to make reversal trades aswell as backing the favourite. Too many times I see traders doing nothing but going with the favourite.

4) Watch the market very carefully. If it's a whipsawing day, trade more reversals but if it's a day when it's trending, back the favourite.

5) Have several accounts and if one goes down then you can open another trade with another firm in the opposite direction thus effectively closing your winning trade.

6) Always close a trade close to the extremes and don't wait for expiry unless you are 100% sure. That last minute can be a bitch at times.

7) Newsfeeds are great for reversals. Ftse 1 - 2 is great if big US news due at 1.30. Open your trade at 1.28pm ish.

8) We all know that binaries are manipulated in some way or another. Just remember to use this your advantage. I never trade the ftse frenzy as my fingers have be burnt too many times. IG gave me profit on one trade (4.20 - 4.25) only to take it away again 15 mins later. When I asked for proof they sent me a reuters printout of the actual prices which print every 15 seconds. At 15 secs to expiry ftse was 2 pts in my favour, on the hour, it was 1/2 point out and 15 secs later, it was 2 pts in my favour having remained unchanged for the other 4 minutes odd. It is well known that SB's manip prices in final 1/2 hour of trading, but equally, there are a lot of traders balancing books and making last didtch attempts at squeezing some profit for the day.

I think a lot of traders on this site appear to be bitter because they've lost but I can honestly say that it is extremely rare for me not to get a fill, site go down whilst in a trade or give me obscure prices and if they do, I simply hedge with another trade.

As for binaries being the quickest way to lose money, complete buncam. If your careful and sensible with them you can succeed.

yorkshires_finest said:
Stig that's really interesting, might dip my toe in to binaries. What kind of stake are you using normally?

I trade anywhere between £1.00 and £10.00 per point depending on the potential risk/reward situation and depending on how I've done that day. If it's going well, the trades will tend to increase with confidence. If not, the trades decrease. (note this is the reverse of doubling up on losing trades)

I have a simple target of 25 points a day. Sometimes I'm well over, sometimes near to it but sometimes I'm negative. Today I lost 12 points, Friday I won 34 and tommorrow, well that's another day and we'll have to wait and see.

If your just starting out, give Finspreads a shot because you can trade for 1p a point to begin with. Great for learning the ropes.

Just a word of warning though. Don't try a be clever with them. As with any company, they get real busy when news feeds come out and open and closing trade times. It's a times like this that there sites are likely to go down or quotes are misleading etc and much as you can make a killing at these times, you'll more than likely get stuck in a losing trade.

As with all investing bar none, your supposed to predict what the next move will be and that's what I try and do. By doing this, I am not lulled into only investing when the market is rampant or ultra busy as some traders are.

Set strict stop losses and never leave a trade unattended. As an example though not always, if I am buying at 80, my stop might be 60 so it's an equal trade I will either win 15 - 20 pts or lose 20 pts but better to lose 20 even if if does climb back up after your out than 80 outright.

As for those on these forums that seem to be caught in trades which are losing them thousands, I dread to think what they are trading per point.

Again, as with all investing it's not easy and it's definately not get rich quick as some people believe it is but with time, practice and patience, it can pay off.

Happy trading

stig said:
Set strict stop losses and never leave a trade unattended. As an example though not always, if I am buying at 80, my stop might be 60 so it's an equal trade I will either win 15 - 20 pts or lose 20 pts but better to lose 20 even if if does climb back up after your out than 80 outright.

Stig, How do you put stop on binaries? Do you use 2 account or is finspreads allows you to do that?

bizmanny said:
Stig, How do you put stop on binaries? Do you use 2 account or is finspreads allows you to do that?

No SB firm offers stops so you just have to watch it and close the trade at your stop level manually. Discipline is the key. It's so easy to watch it fall through your stop expecting it to reverse back up. This can happen but in my experience, it usually doesn't.

If you allow it to fall through your stop expecting a reversal, you are gambling and gamblers never prosper. If you are stopped out, it might mean the pattern has changed and therefore, it's time to reavaluate and readjust your thinking and plan ready for the next trade.

stig said:
No SB firm offers stops so you just have to watch it and close the trade at your stop level manually. Discipline is the key. It's so easy to watch it fall through your stop expecting it to reverse back up. This can happen but in my experience, it usually doesn't.

If you allow it to fall through your stop expecting a reversal, you are gambling and gamblers never prosper. If you are stopped out, it might mean the pattern has changed and therefore, it's time to reavaluate and readjust your thinking and plan ready for the next trade.

Thanks for your reply. I have always done that i thought you are doing it in different way.

Hello

Are you just trading the hourlies on the FTSE, up or down ? Or do you also trade the range bets and the DOW for example ?

Nice post stig,

I pretty much do the same as you and have the same rules. Only thing is if I am in a trade i will hold it until it crosses the 45-50 mark as that is when theoretically odds are against you. When it is at 60 (your eg stoploss) the odds are still in your favour so maybe its worth holding on.

Stig, the reason a lot of people on here trade extreme amounts on binaries (£100PP or more per trade) is that for a few minutes (sometimes even seconds!) work you can generate 10x what multiple smaller trades can achieve and as all binaries carry a high risk due to the extreme movements it all boils down to how much patience you have.

I would much rather research the market trend for that day then look for specific setups so I can make 1 large trade on those patterns over a very short time span as I can spot something which is a potential opportunity for me.

With regards to your experience with IG and the trade being taken away this is probably because the market spiked for a second then settled back down again but as it crossed the barrier that is why it went against you. I have both won & lost large 4 figure amounts with them when it is very marginal. If you read their T&C smallprint it clearly states that they take the next market print after the time expiry so when its a volatile market it can easily blast through your target and go against you when the market volume is heavy. This is very important to bear in mind and catches many people out. I have even lost big with them when it has stayed on 0 due to a change in the way they treat this number!

jitasb said:
Hello

Are you just trading the hourlies on the FTSE, up or down ? Or do you also trade the range bets and the DOW for example ?

I trade the hourlies and 20 minutes on both ftse and dow. I havn't traded the range bets simply because I prefer to concentrate on the instruments I know rather than confusing myself. But may well trade them in the future.

Greed Is Good said:
Stig, the reason a lot of people on here trade extreme amounts on binaries (£100PP or more per trade) is that for a few minutes (sometimes even seconds!) work you can generate 10x what multiple smaller trades can achieve and as all binaries carry a high risk due to the extreme movements it all boils down to how much patience you have.

I would much rather research the market trend for that day then look for specific setups so I can make 1 large trade on those patterns over a very short time span as I can spot something which is a potential opportunity for me.

With regards to your experience with IG and the trade being taken away this is probably because the market spiked for a second then settled back down again but as it crossed the barrier that is why it went against you. I have both won & lost large 4 figure amounts with them when it is very marginal. If you read their T&C smallprint it clearly states that they take the next market print after the time expiry so when its a volatile market it can easily blast through your target and go against you when the market volume is heavy. This is very important to bear in mind and catches many people out. I have even lost big with them when it has stayed on 0 due to a change in the way they treat this number!

The amount traded is relative to individual traders. £ 100.00 pp is well out of my league. If people are trading that amount then good luck to them. Personally unless you have a substantial amount set aside for trading, then £100.00 pp is suicide.

Patience probably is the key, the more patience you have, the more trades you will make and the more experience you will gain. More experience in theory at least means more winning trades.

Those without patience should not be trading as it will force them into trades that they have not researched fully.

It's interesting that you suggest the winners will be 1 a day for a few minutes or seconds work. What about your research? and to be honest, I would find it hard to look at a screen all day purely for the 1 holy grail trade. I much prefer to make a few trades in and out which keep me busy and dare I say makes the job more interesting.

I believe that SB's use derivatives to hedge against their potential losses on binaries. This being the case, a derivative is a financial instrument and when traded, will move the market. It is therefore not unthinkable that SB's can buy and sell close to a binary expiry in order to move the market in their favour. I am not suggesting that this happens all I am saying is that bearing in mind they are not regulated, it could happen.

As you've said, spikes are not uncommon but at least you know there is the potential for them and if it happens on your 1 trade a day at £100.00 pp, your scuppered whereas at £5 pp it's bearable.

DDI said:
Nice post stig,

I pretty much do the same as you and have the same rules. Only thing is if I am in a trade i will hold it until it crosses the 45-50 mark as that is when theoretically odds are against you. When it is at 60 (your eg stoploss) the odds are still in your favour so maybe its worth holding on.

It's a fair point DDI but for me, if it falls through the half way point then :-

1) it becomes a pure gamble because the trade is no longer conforming to my original research/technical analysis etc.

2) The trade becomes very stressful as you are constantly willing the market to move in the direction desired for a longer period.

3) It is no longer a 50/50 trade because a stop at 45 having entered at 80 represents 35/15-20. Or effectively you will lose almost twice what you could win. This would not be good for my confidence.

Anyway, thanks for response and happy trading

man what a beating i took today in binaries. Every thing i bought in the 70-80 levels immediately plummeted to 30-40. Then I tried to recover my losses buy buying heavy the binaries at 3 or 4 hoping for a miracle that would lead them to close at 100 - didnt happen

I blew my whole months profits in binaries just today.

:eek:

Some great volatility (if you are on the right side)......

I am beta testing a new exotic betting site that another forum member got invited to look at and just sent me details of. (Thanks!)

This is clearly the next generation in financial betting / trading for the retail public! I have never seen anything like it.

I am beta testing a new exotic betting site that another forum member got invited to look at and just sent me details of. (Thanks!)

This is clearly the next generation in financial betting / trading for the retail public! I have never seen anything like it.

Dare one ask what it is and how it differs from, say, binarybet/extrabet?

Please. This is not even comparable.

They can not be uttered in the same sentance ;-)

They offer a load of totally new bet types, some really cool pay offs, especially the FX ones.

Check out the Time Switches, Multipliers and Lookbacks.

They also let you build the bet yourself rather than having to take their strike and tenors.

I sound like a bloody sales outfit but I am impressed. I am also irritated as I wish that I had got around to doing something like this. I had planned doing an exotics site as a hobby a while ago. Got started, had some problems, packed it up.

Check it out, it is not like the others at all...

I have traded 120 binarries in the last 3 hours on FX at BetaExoticBets.

My head is spinning but I am 83% up on them with binaries using a high frequency mean reversion system. I hope these guys are hedging or they will never give me a real account.

Same system works on their Time Switch bets. These really are a killer (up 42% on them).

What kind of system are you running?

DDI said:
man what a beating i took today in binaries. Every thing i bought in the 70-80 levels immediately plummeted to 30-40. Then I tried to recover my losses buy buying heavy the binaries at 3 or 4 hoping for a miracle that would lead them to close at 100 - didnt happen

I blew my whole months profits in binaries just today.

:eek:

Yes, it was what I call a whipsawing day where you are potentially better off trying reversals. It is very important to decide what type of day it's going to be before attempting to trade. I made 30 pts between 8 - 9 on a reversal and tried a few reversals like yourself later on from very low but these failed. I made no favourite trades from the 75 - 80 area today at all.

Of course the market can change at anytime and become a favourites market but you need to spot this before attempting to trade it.

Hopefully, you'll have better luck tommorrow.

NotQuiteRandom said:

I have tried the site you mention but unfortunately, it is beta and by invite only. Unless you have a global password, I think I'll have to wait until it goes live.