Metatrader 4

Fish said:
Does anyone know if you can log on to other servers, just using the ip addresses, or must you downloaded another instance of the .exe, and then install over your existing intallation?

Fish, you have just to change the IP-address to log in to another MetaTrader 4 Broker.

Aroon Indicator download

Lenar Fatkhullin said:
Put file to /experts/indicators/ in core terminal`s directory. Open the file from MetaEditor, recompile it. After that it will appear in terminal`s Navigator - Custom Indicators window. Its ready to use.

Hi Lenar,

this is my first time here. I have downloaded the Aroon indicator from Metaquote's site, have located it in the experts sub folder of MT. I then opened it from the application using the MetaEditor and attempted to recompile it. This process seems to take forever! How long should it actually take?
Any ideas?
thanks
Trader999999

Metatrader 4 with spot forex trading

Hi

Metatrader may seem to make more sense than TS8.2 purely for spot forex charts/data - as its completely free.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Metatrader is tradestation Easy Language compatible, or 80% compatible. Is this true, and can i use my TS8.2 indicators in Metatrader 4, or do they need modification?

If you use MT4 for forex trading via a demo account, do you need to have the demo account (such as Alpari) open all day to collect the data?

You may be trading with another retail broker, in which case having a browser open for a demo account is a slight inconvenience.

Does Metatrader 4 upload/download spot forex data in a way that is as integrated, seamless, unproblematic and as non time consuming as TS8.2? Or is it more of a manual process, like TS2000i?

Many thanks

JTrader said:
Hi
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Metatrader is tradestation Easy Language compatible, or 80% compatible. Is this true, and can i use my TS8.2 indicators in Metatrader 4, or do they need modification?

your indicators will need to be coded..but there are already hundreds of indicators already made, google "metatrader indicators" you will find a bunch of sites, forums and archives with indicators

JTrader said:
If you use MT4 for forex trading via a demo account, do you need to have the demo account (such as Alpari) open all day to collect the data?

Does Metatrader 4 upload/download spot forex data in a way that is as integrated, seamless, unproblematic and as non time consuming as TS8.2? Or is it more of a manual process, like TS2000i?
Many thanks

no, when u start it up it will download the data automaticly. data is also available for manual downloads

Thanks Spahiu

MT4 sounds good - as seen as my approach is involving more into a PA based approach, i don't really have a great use for TS8.2.

Free MT4 sounds good. Switching datafeeds from my present TS8.2 gain capital feed, to another feed in MT4, may create issues though, because presently the TS8.2 feed usually leads my brokers quote updates.
Switching to a feed that lags my brokers quotes, could turn a positive into a negative.

Online forex broker utilizing Metatrader platform

Hi all,
I am new to the forex trading, and am testing a demo account but not real account is opened yet. From various messages by members at this Trade2Win board, it looks like Metatrader trading platform is great.
Can anybody give me advise on online brokers that utilizes Metatrader platform, preferably with a few years of historical data ( for backtesting ), and the availability to save or export a chart.
Is there any member using other trading platforms that have similar features, I appreciate your advise.
Thank you.

MT4 does meet most of my needs. Except -

timeframes - MT4 has a limited set number of timeframes that are available. It does not seem possible to set your own timeframe.
I use tick charts, and MT4 does not provide customisable tick charts. It has only a 1 tick chart.

This is a shame as it is quite an advanced charting platform, and these shaortfalls are very basic. I would have thought that the timeframes settings would have been more advanced/customisable/user friendly.

Have a look in the library section JTrader, there is a script to make your own time frames in there. Not sure how to use it mind!

I remember seeing in Forex Factory something in the metatrader section on how to create your own timeframes. The principle was as follows

a) I like 3 min charts, so use 1 min charts, and use some function and multiply timeframe by 3.
b) I like 45 min charts, so use 15 min charts, and do same thing

However, I dont remember anything for tick charts.

hope it helps

j

non-standard Timeframes in MT4

Dear JTrader & Jacinto

Here's attached the Custom Indicator to use in MT4, and Make non-STD TFs.
After attaching this indicator to a Chart(ex. M1 Chart), Make sure you have in the indicator's settings, Allow Dlls CHECKED.
also make sure you have the parameter "Period Multipler" in indicator's setting to whatever TF you'd like.
afterwards you go to MT4 menu: Files>open offline, and there you can open your desired TF from the list.

HTH
Kako

PS. please change the .htm extension to .mq4 . it is the MT4 indicator but this forum doesn't allow MQ4 attachments.

Attachments

• period_converter_opt.htm
    11 KB · Views: 549
Thanks chaps

I'll have a play about with MT4 later.

I've sent Metaquotes an email with a few improvment suggestions that would make it more user friendly (essentially more like TS8.2).

MT4 is a great idea - free charts!! - and if i can use custom timeframe tick charts - I'll use MT4.

Like TS8.2, I suggested have a "format symbol" dialogue box - in which you enter your own timeframe (interval or tick), amount of data you wish to display, first date -last date to display etc. - which is very user friendly.

Also, a crosshair pointer that isn't deactivated when you click on the chart.

By making these minor improvments - MT4 would surely become the no.1 choice for all forex traders, as there'd be no need to look elsewhere..........

Unable to open Interbankfx live account

Hi all,
When I pressed to submit the application on individual live account (part 1) at Interbankfx, it stopped proceeding further. I tried using Yahoo and also Google to access Interbankfx website, the same outcome; even if I simply pressed to submit its blank application form. I emailed the problem to its customer service but no feedback. What happens? Can any member please verify whether you may face the same problem. Thanks.

Nobody did me the favour...
Anyway, it is nothing to do with Mozilla, IE, Firewall...
It is the minimum broadband transmission speed: >54Mbps on ADSL or equivalence.
I think Interbankfx shall state the system requirement on the application form.

atomm said:
Nobody did me the favour...
Anyway, it is nothing to do with Mozilla, IE, Firewall...
It is the minimum broadband transmission speed: >54Mbps on ADSL or equivalence.
I think Interbankfx shall state the system requirement on the application form.

That's ridiculous, broadband rates are approx 1-8Meg over a phone line, you don't need broadband simply to sign up to a web form.

More likely their web server wasn't processing the form correctly at that time.

-TPO.

Hi thepoliteone,
It's indeed ridiculous. I access internet w/o problem day in and day out, except just this particular page of the website.
After going through all conceivable troubleshootings by the serviceman, the 88/54Mbps ADSL router solved the problem. Now I put back my own 54Mbps ADSL router, the same problem occurs...
After all, forex trading is our main concern.

thepoliteone said:

Hi

I'm currently running an alpari demo account with MT4. The Alpari bid price is generally slower to update, and with some much bigger extremes/spikes on candles that are not present with my broker or the TS8.2 spot forex datafeed - gain capital data - evident on GBPUSD this morning.

It's maybe a difficult if not impossible question to answer, as each broker based spot forex datafeed is different to the next, as prices are derived from different sources, using different methods to calculate.....
However, I'm wanting to find a datafeed that is more like the stable TS8.2 spot forex feed (which tends to closely match my brokers data (It is not possible to stream my brokers data into the charts, or I would).
Gain capital is not on the list either. If it was, I could have MT4 running the same spot datafeed as TS8.2. :idea:

Can anyone give me any pointers/recommendations on how to do this? Perhaps you found a stable datafeed from this list :idea:

.....It may come down to testing several datafeeds until i find one that i feel meets my requirements.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Help in building autotrading systems for MT

Hello,

If you love Metatrader and its expert adisors to build trading systems for automated trading, but unable to code these EA yourself, I can help you. I have years of experience in programming and will build a trading system in Metatrader according to your specifications. Confidentiality guaranteed. Mail me for details at: [email protected].

David Berg

MT4 keeps freezing

Hi
MT4 keeps freezing when i right click on a chart and select "object list" or "indicator list". I then have to close MT4 through ctrl-alt-del.
Does this happen to anyone else. Is there a way to solve this intermitent problem?

Many thanks.

I am trying to learn how to write code in Metatrader. Anyone have any suggestions on some good tutorials to get started with?