Message For Ftse Traders......

What are you trading - spreadbet, DA etc.? Certainly the basic spreadbet charting packages have volatility.

KJ

KJ, Do the IG charts have volatility? If so, could you tell me how to implment it?

(I am right in thinking you have IG charts?)

Ollie

hi guys

I m looking for real time volatity ftse 100

let me know
monsieur cameron lefauve
bienvenue
volatility..???
ok,so what are you tring to plott the volatility against...???
it could be opening price,close price.50 ema,200 ema.average true range.other indices etc etc
it might be easier to wtite an excel formula.??
let us know what you want

beware of some ig charts.they are pretty good.there is some bad data.take a look at the daily for billiton.not only spikes in one direction...but both.the software does not allow you despike.
sometimes it makes the chart unreadable
i have spoken to them about that on many occasions.however,even upadata has the odd spike
also beware if you are going to use p/f.the software sometimes cannot plot correctly proportioned "X" and "O".this does make the chart skewed.there are remedies i have found for that
on the whole.the best freebie around

KJ, Do the IG charts have volatility? If so, could you tell me how to implment it?

(I am right in thinking you have IG charts?)

Ollie

Hi Ollie,
What sort of volatility are you looking for? IG have a scaled down version of prorealtime with most indicators on it. Go to your IG main page, click on tools and then real charts in the pop up menu.
Hope that helps
KJ

PM me if you need more info and we can chat on msn

Hi Ollie,
What sort of volatility are you looking for? IG have a scaled down version of prorealtime with most indicators on it. Go to your IG main page, click on tools and then real charts in the pop up menu.
Hope that helps
KJ

PM me if you need more info and we can chat on msn

Hi KJ, I have all charts in real time from IG, just as you describe above. But there's no indicator to describe volatility of the price, or relative to an MA, or specific time frame - at least I can't find it :)

As an alternative I was trying to code a proscreener to identify equities/curriences/indicies to identify relative volatility over a given period. So for example, the proscreener would give results for, the most volatile stocks in the FTSE 100, over the last 20 days... or it could be, the most volatile currencies, over the last 8 hours...

It matters not the time frame, or the instrument, as such, I just want to find volatile instruments. But if it's there in the IG charts anyway, I shan't waste time trying to code a piece of software to find it :)

I guess this is slightly off track, as I believe this whole conversation was kicked off in consideration of current volatility... realtime. Such as can be seen on bloomberg's site.

Anyhelp, much appreciated with IG charts though.

Ollie

can everyone please tell me which software packages they are using if you don't mind and the cost structure for UK&US indices & equities data, gold and oil ?

please if you don't mind?

off to david lloyds to play squash.....adios amigos!!

can everyone please tell me which software packages they are using if you don't mind and the cost structure for UK&US indices & equities data, gold and oil ?

IG charts for everything now. I did have a subscription to Sharescope for a while, but actually found the IG charts to be sufficient for me right now.

If I was going to pay for data again, it would be Pro realtime.

Ollie

edit: I shoudl say that the IG charts are actually IT-finance.com charts - and that Proscreener is a built in, fully programmable search tool. - all free

Last edited:
this has given me a much easier ride since xmas.the 8850 support has been broken.short the rallies.done well so far
its going to make my club 18-30 holiday in the summer alot chaeper..!!!

Attachments

• safer.png
    safer.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 134
achart showing more detail of the price action.looks like we will go back into its normal range

Attachments

• better.png
    better.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 127
the pound is certainly getting bullish
cable an unactivated vertical count of 1.7200
we might all be able to afford a foreign holiday,this year

Attachments

• cable.png
    cable.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 116
kitejedi and others.atr should be used with dmi.to make sure the voaltility is going in the direction you want it to

nas 100 has definitely been the stronger index against the dow.
the trannies.dow 30 and the s&p 500 all being very sluggish
notice how the nas has broken out against the dow.outperforming by a good few percentage points/recently

Attachments

• nasdef.png
    nasdef.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 118

I've been looking into Sharescope, it seems quite a powerful package. Costs £16/month for basic daily prices, £32/month for intraday (prices delayed 15 mins, level 2 costs extra £16/month) or £95/month for the pro version for realtime info. I think both the higher subscription services includ UK&US indices, gold, oil etc.

I also saw a few people on this site use Sierra Charts but I've not had a go with it. Does anyone have experience of these or other packages? What's considered to be the "can't do without" package?

Cheers!

I dont use it as I spread bet but I sierra charts is excellent, and really cheap. Customer support is also excellent.

I didn't get on so well with the charts from ShareScope, but the instrument search facility is excellent. I didn't like the charting software, mostly because it will only display 10 days max of intraday data, to maximum of a 60 min timeframe. Otherwise data is displayed with daily bars. The drawing tools are a little crude too. Also, no out of hours data for Indices

I much prefer the IG/Prorealtime charts, and EOD data is free with Prorealime. I use IG for realtime data - albeit adulterated!

Ollie

I've been looking into Sharescope, it seems quite a powerful package. Costs £16/month for basic daily prices, £32/month for intraday (prices delayed 15 mins, level 2 costs extra £16/month) or £95/month for the pro version for realtime info. I think both the higher subscription services includ UK&US indices, gold, oil etc.

I also saw a few people on this site use Sierra Charts but I've not had a go with it. Does anyone have experience of these or other packages? What's considered to be the "can't do without" package?

Cheers!

When I used Sierra Charts, several years ago, they were a chart service only. Data had to be got from somewhere else. I got mine downloaded from IB. Now that I have a more tranquil existence, I use Sharescope Gold. EOD is enough for me. Sierra service was very good and they started me off straight away, leaving me to take my time in getting the subscription out to them. They worked with Paypal, but I don't like them so used a friend over there to pay the money in.