Markets and mysticysm

mathsfreak

Do any of you use financial astrology? Has anyone seen the film Pi? What do you think about the link between maths, markets and mysticysm?

There is no 'link' between maths, the markets and mysticism. Any more than there is a 'link' between you and the Universe you think you observe or between your thoughts and your reality.

It is the assumption that there is a ‘link’ which sends countless numbers off down a cul-de-sac of their own construction and when they hit the brick wall the majority think they have arrived – because they can’t go anywhere else. A smaller number see the brick wall for what they think it is and give up, or chase some other dream. Fewer still, see the brick wall for what it really is – and carry on.

There are only a very few who realise there is no ‘link’ except that which we choose to imagine.

I do have a strong conviction that the successful traders who use Astrological/Astronomical cycles to trade are actually just fruitcakes with well developed money management skills. It is, after all, all about the exits and when you learn that, the entries only require consistency of approach.

Last edited:
humans have a tendency to remember the "hits", and forget the "misses", giving rise to a distorted memory or perception of events.

similarly, we see perfect chart patterns, simply because we see the immediate consequences of the win that went with it, eg; the 200 pips surge after hitting the 61.8% retrace, but fail to see the number of times it went to 61.8% and failed, or only gave 50 pips.
its then the problems start, because rather than admit it failed, we start giving it increasing lee-way to "allow it to breathe" rather than just cutting the trade.

I am experiencing this myself right now, as my signals do not give me the expectancy that I thought I had. (am out of the market until I get this fixed)
EDIT: my experience is not with mystical stuff, merely my indicator-based rules

mind you, the time I had testing correlations between moon-mars conjunctions with FX and Dow were incredibly enjoyable, even if it came to nothing.

finally, I think it is better to accept failure of success with personal responsibility rather than rely on the fickle favours of the gods. ( ".. if only I had sacrificed one more virgin....")

There is no 'link' between maths, the markets and mysticism. Any more than there is a 'link' between you and the Universe you think you observe or between your thoughts and your reality.

It is the assumption that there is a ‘link’ which sends countless numbers off down a cul-de-sac of their own construction and when they hit the brick wall the majority think they have arrived – because they can’t go anywhere else. A smaller number see the brick wall for what they think it is and give up, or chase some other dream. Fewer still, see the brick wall for what it really is – and carry on.

There are only a very few who realise there is no ‘link’ except that which we choose to imagine.

"Priceless"...:LOL:

Im not saying I think fib retracements work, I just meant the fact that that ratio appears everywhere in the universe. I might be a candidate for a mental assylum according to most, but I love all that stuff! Science is about exploring the unknown even when it does seem ridiculous.

Last edited:
Im not saying I think fib retracements work, I just meant the fact that that ratio appears everywhere in the universe. I might be a candidate for a mental assylum according to most, but I love all that stuff! Science is about exploring the unknown even when it does seem ridiculous.

Good for you.

Mental asylums are not that bad you know.

Full of ex traders.

I personally love basket weaving and colouring in.

If anyone uses astrolgy it's unlikely they'll admit to it through - deservedly - fear of ridicule, and a mass exodus of clients ('exodus' not to be taken in the mystical sense, here).

Grant.

There definitely is a link between mysticism and markets. Cycles, geometry and numerology are there all the time really. It has not helped me with trading though but some say it does.

Patrik,

Mysticism is too laden with religious/sacred connotation for me to take seriously.

Numerology or astrology, for example, may well work for some people, but the underlying rationale doesn’t stand up. There could well be a scientific basis, but Jupiter aligning with Mars (cue for a song) isn’t it. And isn’t that what mysticism is – that which seeks or awaits a scientific explanation?

Grant.

I suppose that everything we dont understand is labelled as mystical and everything we do understand as scientific.As soon as it can be understood by us in terms that we find acceptable then it becomes science. It would seem that something only becomes believable once it is explainable-a rationale which doesnt really make much sense. Kind of like saying a species of animal only exists once it has been discovered.
Maybe I would have fitted in well 500 years ago when science and mysticysm went hand in hand...

I suppose that everything we dont understand is labelled as mystical and everything we do understand as scientific.As soon as it can be understood by us in terms that we find acceptable then it becomes science. It would seem that something only becomes believable once it is explainable-a rationale which doesnt really make much sense. Kind of like saying a species of animal only exists once it has been discovered.
Maybe I would have fitted in well 500 years ago when science and mysticysm went hand in hand...

You are quite correct. Do not be swayed by the majority who have lost touch with arcane practises.

PM me and I can let you have some interesting docs for further exploration.