Markets and mysticysm

Y

In short, trading instinct when you know it to be instinct will invariably lead you off course. It is only when your instinct operates at an unconscious level, out of your awareness, that you find you made the right decisions.

At last some quality content?

What you talk about is common parlance is known as The Zone and can only be understood by those who have experienced it and more frustratingly cannot be summoned at will in a conscious fashion.

Some call it The Gap between your thoughts, those infinite spaces between every second where sometimes we can linger and transcend the everyday boundaries of space and time.

William Blake sums up perfectly..

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

..luverly innit?:)

Last edited:
What you talk about is common parlance is known as The Zone and can only be understood by those who have experienced it and more frustratingly cannot be summoned at will in a conscious fashion.

Some call it The Gap between your thoughts, those infinite spaces between every second where sometimes we can linger and transcend the everyday boundaries of space and time.

I won't get quite so metaphysical, but I agree. It's the point at which you are unconscious. Of course I don't me asleep or knocked-out, but rather just being and doing, not thinking. Acting on instinct in a way.

I would actually argue that you can "consciously" put yourself in that state. Not that I'm saying it's easy, of course. I think Brett Steenbarger has written some good stuff on that subject, though - training yourself to get in to a kind of Zen-like state.

LOL.... "If you start thinking"...I hope New Trader reads that and remembers my post the other day to the effect that I prefer "not to think unless absolutely necessary" ...it might have sounded facetious at the time ,but it wasn't meant that way....

I won't get quite so metaphysical, but I agree. It's the point at which you are unconscious. Of course I don't me asleep or knocked-out, but rather just being and doing, not thinking. Acting on instinct in a way.

I would actually argue that you can "consciously" put yourself in that state. Not that I'm saying it's easy, of course. I think Brett Steenbarger has written some good stuff on that subject, though - training yourself to get in to a kind of Zen-like state.

If I may use golf as an analogy.

My perfect shots occur when I am not aware of anything but the NOW. I'm not thinking about my score, or the lake in front of the green, or the trees on the left. The ball sails off the club with no ease or conscious design on my part - almost as if by magic. Yet then the next shot will be a duffer because I now try to reproduce the same magic by my own will.

Of course if I were a pro then I would be able to let go and let the inner self take control because I'd have the confidence gained through experience, knowledge, technique and practise.

I recently read an article that 10,000 hours of practise with real money, 10 years on average, is required before a trader can make par on every hole.

Why anyone would assume trading is different from any other master skill would seem foolish to me.

Here is the truth as I see it....

I would suggest that one can only be consistently in the master state of Zen/oneness/in the zone, relevant to whichever discipline, when one is already a master.

Glimpses may be occasional, but that's all they are.

Markets and Mysticism

Mysticism is a subset of Spirituality and Spirituality is the transformation of your Consciousness. Your Mystical level or degree of Consciousness or level of Awareness, moment by moment dictates your success or failure in life and subsequently, in the market also.

If you are fully conscious or aware at the very moment of execution of your orders for entry or exit, you will eliminate most, if not all of your trading errors. If you trade unconsciously, your trading mistakes will be huge.

Thus, Mysticism is closely related to the Market, since your degree of Consciousness or Awareness when trading leads to your success or failure in the market.

Deep meditation increases your Mystical level of Consciousness or Awareness, and this in turn increases your Intuitive Power to feel the direction of the market. Intuition never fails. Only the wrong interpretation of the intuition creates errors or causes failure. It takes years of practice to interpret your intuition correctly.

Now, this does not mean you will no longer do your physical homework, like studying and analyzing your charts, carrying out what-if-analysis, worst case scenario and yada, yada! It's when you've completed all the necessary analysis that you can now meditate over what market to trade and when to trade. Your intuition will now give you the best guidance, if you have learned to interpret it correctly. If you haven't, then follow you mechanical trading signals for entries and exits, especially mechanical stops very strictly until you understand how to interpret your intuitive power correctly.

I normally trade Commodity Spreads between 7:15 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. California time, Monday through Friday but on several occasions I have been awakened suddenly to trade NOB (Notes-Over-Bond) Spreads at 5:30 a.m. Every single time I followed these feelings, I tripled my money. It's never failed even once and hence, I have come to trust my intuition 100%. I combine my mechanical trading system and methodology with my Mystical Intuition for continuous success and great profits. It's the best of both worlds.

Thus Mysticism is closely related to your trading through your degree of Consciousness but not in the form of Astrology or Cycles which are a fraud. I will comment on this in my next article.

Mysticism is a subset of Spirituality and Spirituality is the transformation of your Consciousness. Your Mystical level or degree of Consciousness or level of Awareness, moment by moment dictates your success or failure in life and subsequently, in the market also.

If you are fully conscious or aware at the very moment of execution of your orders for entry or exit, you will eliminate most, if not all of your trading errors. If you trade unconsciously, your trading mistakes will be huge.

Thus, Mysticism is closely related to the Market, since your degree of Consciousness or Awareness when trading leads to your success or failure in the market.

Deep meditation increases your Mystical level of Consciousness or Awareness, and this in turn increases your Intuitive Power to feel the direction of the market. Intuition never fails. Only the wrong interpretation of the intuition creates errors or causes failure. It takes years of practice to interpret your intuition correctly.

Now, this does not mean you will no longer do your physical homework, like studying and analyzing your charts, carrying out what-if-analysis, worst case scenario and yada, yada! It's when you've completed all the necessary analysis that you can now meditate over what market to trade and when to trade. Your intuition will now give you the best guidance, if you have learned to interpret it correctly. If you haven't, then follow you mechanical trading signals for entries and exits, especially mechanical stops very strictly until you understand how to interpret your intuitive power correctly.

I normally trade Commodity Spreads between 7:15 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. California time, Monday through Friday but on several occasions I have been awakened suddenly to trade NOB (Notes-Over-Bond) Spreads at 5:30 a.m. Every single time I followed these feelings, I tripled my money. It's never failed even once and hence, I have come to trust my intuition 100%. I combine my mechanical trading system and methodology with my Mystical Intuition for continuous success and great profits. It's the best of both worlds.

Thus Mysticism is closely related to your trading through your degree of Consciousness but not in the form of Astrology or Cycles which are a fraud. I will comment on this in my next article.

Very impressive first post.

Last week I had a similar experience with the EUR/USD.

I did an EOD analysis and resolved to go short at the London open the following morning.

However on awakening that morning I recalled a dream where I had witnessed a large green daily candlestick.

I still placed my short trade for reason of logic over intuition but reversed almost immediately when an overwhelming feeling overtook me.

I ended the day up some 80 pips.

Effortless Trading means flowing with the market.

Hello Rols:

Thanks for your complements. I have been trading for a longtime and I'm talking from practical experience. Intuition never fails and will always trump simple mechanical trading. The main problem is understanding your intuitive feelings and interpreting them correctly with regards to your trade.

You were very smart to change your mind regarding the currency trade. The stronger your degree of consciousness in trading, the better you flow with the market. This is called effortless trading.

Have a good day.

Dow posts biggest gain in four years...

I couldn't agree more. Well, maybe not about the Dow new high in seven sessions part, but definitely the rest of it. Words convey thought, and therefore power.

Not far off.

This time next year we'll be millionaires Rhody...

:cheesy:

I do have a strong conviction that the successful traders who use Astrological/Astronomical cycles to trade are actually just fruitcakes with well developed money management skills.

I think it's a bit harsh to call someone a fruitcake for following his/her preferred
strategy. As with any strategy there is no 100% easymoney strat that many seem to be in constant search of, so yes it's about having good money management around your indicator of choice. If something works, keep it, if it doesn't ditch it. Everyone on this site seems to spend a lot of time shooting down certain things such as Fibonacci etc. but at the end of the day, if your wins are bigger than your losses
then stay with what works.

For those quick to pan astrology in financial markets, have a look at stariq.com/marketweek. This has been pinpointing a potential reversal in
markets around the key date of 27th July for weeks due to a historical
correlation between this cycle and stock market reversals. We'll see if the
contra moves already seen will play out as predicted.

Do not misunderstand me, I do know for a fact that exposure and intense concentration on charts, or anything for that matter, over long periods of time do bring about changes to our psychological and physiological structure to a degree which is not only significant, but demonstrably measurable. The key to proper utilisation of these blossoming skills though is not to be consciously aware of them. Easier said than done? No, not at all really. You aren’t trying not to be not consciously aware of something (which is quite impossible by the way). All you are doing is ensuring you recognise when you are consciously aware of something.

As soon as the ‘you’ or the ‘I’ enters into your current view of your trading Universe, you know you’re off the track. Conscious awareness, particularly self-conscious awareness or self-reflection is not conducive to trading excellence. These occurrences and they do occur in us all from time to time, take you away from rather than toward innate comprehension of the market as it is here and now which is exactly where you need to be. Once you recognise these feelings when they occur for what they are, I have found personally no remedy myself except in quitting my trading at least for the rest of the trading day. As soon as you even get a hint that you’re capable of differentiating from all of the possibilities of what may occur the one that is definitely going to occur rather than taking your decisions based on what is happening right now, it is my view you should down tools and go do something else, anything else.

I have mentioned elsewhere the need to be aware of the possibilities and the probabilities of these possibilities becoming reality for you, but you must constantly assess the development of these possibilities. Your ability to make instant decisions when these possibilities develop into recognisable events which are committed and are unable to regress or diverge or bifurcate, is directly proportional to the emptiness of your expectations. It is by using your knowledge of what is happening right now, with the sum total of all your past experiences and compared with the probabilities associated with all of the possibilities of what could happen next that provide you with all you need to make your next trading decision.

In short, trading instinct when you know it to be instinct will invariably lead you off course. It is only when your instinct operates at an unconscious level, out of your awareness, that you find you made the right decisions.

QED in both senses! (Quantum electrodynamics)

Bramble. Your perspicacity never ceases to amaze!

Did anybody catch the BBC 4 Atom documentary last night.

Here is an extract re. Schrodinger's Cat

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-jCuV7BoU

I felt a distinct hairs tingling on neck as I watched this show.

The measurement problem - also a trader's dichotomy

Matter, anti-matter....

...does it matter?

Billionaire J. P. Morgan consulted with astrologer Evangeline Adams in timing some of his most important business and investment moves. Adams noted that "J. Pierpont Morgan, the world's biggest financier, drove the world before him because he had astrology behind him." In fact, it was J. P. Morgan who said, "Millionaires don't use astrology; billionaires do!"

everything is somehow related to everything else, a farmer could tie his chickens egg increase and decrease to his corn futures and if it worked 1% of the time and he knew when that was he'd make money but its an awfully hard way to make a buck. The secret to trading is to limit your losses and in a hi volatility mrkt theybget big fast so if your a newbie or partb time trader sit on your hands for now,most of your best trades are the ones you dont make,the few good trades are the ones where everything lines up,you pull the trigger and it goes your way,and if it doesnt and you stopped yourself out your a good trader. You will know when its there by your confidence level ,when its not dont trade,if your scared right now it's for good reason,this mrkt is for pros .