Astrology

As far as i'm concerned, there is no more important relationship in trading than that of "Price and Time". Although I have no idea where astrology may fit into it.

As far as i'm concerned, there is no more important relationship in trading than that of "Price and Time". Although I have no idea where astrology may fit into it.

You have hit it right on the head. Astrology is the measure of the quality of time. To use astrology successfully for trading you have to know how to analyse time.

Mark Shipman, in the book I cite in my profile, talked about a guy he met at some meeting of Technical Analysts, who traded based on phases of the moon or something like that. He thought it was a bit kooky at first, until later on he realised that what it might be doing for the guy was simply giving him a set of rules and a system, and provided he followed his own rules and system, it would be doing things like stopping him taking simply random trades on a whim, or trading emotionally, and other things we are told not to do.

I wonder if using astrology, even if it doesn't "work" as such, does something similar, at least for some kinds of trader.

The random coin spin approach, cited by DT from Van Tharp, may be doing something similar again.

Here are the first charts of wheat.
This is the first "astro" method I will show/point out for you to pick apart and have for dinner. (add a little season salt it helps).

Wheat seems to like the planet Mercury.
The first method consists of pick an important high or low and adding the number of days it takes Mercury to orbit the sun. (88)
No other planets are used and all this really equates to is a "Mercury Return".
If you don't know what that is that's ok. It's simply when Mercury comes back to the same place in its orbit that it was when the first top or bottom was made.

If you notice from the charts when I say important I mean the larger swings that can take months not just a few days or weeks. Those are the swings I use for the starting points

Attachments

• Wheat 1a.GIF
    Wheat 1a.GIF
    24.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Wheat2a.GIF
    Wheat2a.GIF
    25.5 KB · Views: 211
Astrology is a pile of nonsense.

However I would not call you an unsucessful trader Mr Steele. It is my belief you can trade due to your natural ability and for some reason you're basing it on complete **** like this - please have more self belief in your actual skill :)

Good trading!

Astrology is a pile of nonsense.

However I would not call you an unsucessful trader Mr Steele. It is my belief you can trade due to your natural ability and for some reason you're basing it on complete **** like this - please have more self belief in your actual skill :)

Good trading!

Why thank you!

Funny thing is I believe you are wrong about astrology being a pile of nonsense.
I have proven to my self that it is not and works well when used correctly to time the markets. (Other things also)
Ok so maybe its only funny to me:cheesy:

I won't insult you by trying to get you to believe what I do as it takes all kinds to make the world go round.:)

Why thank you!

Funny thing is I believe you are wrong about astrology being a pile of nonsense.
I have proven to my self that it is not and works well when used correctly to time the markets. (Other things also)

I won't insult you by trying to get you to believe what I do as it takes all kinds to make the world go round.:)

People might be interested in reading Raymond Merriman before they reject astrology, he seems to have excellent accuracy as does Kay Shenker. People discounting astrology as an influence in the markets are merely displaying that they have no knowledge of the subject.

Why thank you!

Would you like a debate on astrology? A civil one, as we're both reasonable people, and certainly I respect you and I would hope you respect me (when I'm not angling for lulz ;)) ?

You are wrong about that and yes I can "prove" it.
While I will not get into an argument about whether or not the planets cause or simply time certain things, the fact is there is a "plausible connection" that can be shown from the planets to the "economic activity or financial markets".
What connection? The gravitational fields are far too week and totally swamped by more powerful fields. Reflected EM radiation - likewise. Calendars based on planetary orbits? No. Any effect on climate or weather - vanishingly small at most. Influence on cosmic radiation - no. Influence on solar radiation - no.

Extraordinary claims that have no known physical basis require extraordinary evidence.

The only problem with proving things is dogma.
How many times have people not believed something that they have seen with their own eyes because they were programed by others not to believe things.

Too many people simply CAN NOT think for them selves.

Hmmm .... Richard Dawkins made a remark along the lines that it is possible to be so open minded that your brain falls out. As I observed above, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In the absence of such evidence, rejecting such claims has got nothing to do with having a closed mind. It's called being rational.

Would you like a debate on astrology? A civil one, as we're both reasonable people, and certainly I respect you and I would hope you respect me (when I'm not angling for lulz ;)) ?

You are more than welcome if you like...and of course I respect you.

What connection? The gravitational fields are far too week and totally swamped by more powerful fields. Reflected EM radiation - likewise. Calendars based on planetary orbits? No. Any effect on climate or weather - vanishingly small at most. Influence on cosmic radiation - no. Influence on solar radiation - no.

Extraordinary claims that have no known physical basis require extraordinary evidence.

Hmmm .... Richard Dawkins made a remark along the lines that it is possible to be so open minded that your brain falls out. As I observed above, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In the absence of such evidence, rejecting such claims has got nothing to do with having a closed mind. It's called being rational.

Interesting because the claims you have above are that gravity, radiation, calendars, solar radiation, and cosmic radiation are not influenced by the planets. At least not enough to make things happen here on earth.
I would like to know what tests you have personally performed to prove that they are as you say?
Or are you simply taking someone's word on that?
If you have made experiments then please by all means present your evidence.
If you have not then you are simply falling into the dogma section of my post.
Because you have taken some else word for it OR are making it up on your own because you are already programed to not believe in astrology.

Now what you call rational I call playing follow the leader. (easier and not always a bad thing)
I can understand not having enough interest in something to bother with your own studies and experiments but please understand when you do not make your own studies and experiments you have to take someone else word on that particular thing.
Again see the dogma section of older post.

If you don't believe in astrology in any form then that's quite your right.
But unless you have some sort of observations that prove what you have said before don't use that as a backing for what you believe.

And before you slide into the "the burden of proof is not on me but you" you have to understand that when you use examples like you did you become burdened with having to prove what you said.

I agree with that statement.
Like I have said before "I will not get into an argument about whether or not the planets cause or simply time certain things".

Please don't take anything I have said personally because I am not trying to put you down in any way just point some things out(y)

I don't need you to believe what I do and I'm sure I won't be changing your mind in any way.

Interesting because the claims you have above are that gravity, radiation, calendars, solar radiation, and cosmic radiation are not influenced by the planets. At least not enough to make things happen here on earth.
I would like to know what tests you have personally performed to prove that they are as you say?
Or are you simply taking someone's word on that?
If you have made experiments then please by all means present your evidence.
If you have not then you are simply falling into the dogma section of my post.
Because you have taken some else word for it OR are making it up on your own because you are already programed to not believe in astrology.

The sun is around 5,300,000,000 times brighter than mars at the surface of the earth when mars is at it's brightest due to orbital proximity.

The sun is around 449,000 times brighter than the moon at full moon.

The mass of the sun is ~2,900,000 times the mass of Mars.

Do I really have to spell it out any further?

If you want to disclaim rudimentary physics, much of which has been known since the time of Newton, then go ahead. There is really no need whatsoever to "do the experiment yourself" because many others have already done "it" and established a basis of knowledge upon which deductions can be reliably made.

A debate on the rationality of astrology would be pointless as no one has all the facts of life or knows the workings of the universe. The proof is always in the pudding.

Let me see if I can give an astrological based prediction. There is an astrologically significant level which price is drawn to like a magnet. I will use the USD/CAD as an example. My prediction is that price must soon run to this level, which is currently at around 1.0930 . Also the GBP/JPY has an astrologically significant level which is currently at 151.00 .

So my astrological based prediction is that the USD/CAD must run to 1.0930 soon. And the GBP/JPY has to run back to 151.00 within weeks. Let's see if it happens.

dcraig don't use 'your version' of physics to make false conclusions.

It is long known and proven that planetary movements can affect other planetary movements, that sunspots have an affect here on earth, that the tides are affected by the moon, which then affect animals behaviour and lots of other astrological effects. Just because some planets are further away, doesn't mean that because their pull is small (or outweighed) that there is NO measurable effect. There is. If you start taking away various planets, the orbits of other planets will change. Plus if you then believe in chaos theory, you would realise that a small adjustment can have a massive effect on the system.

Of course as you say though, this affect may be too small (unless something extreme occurs) to have a significant impact on the markets, and I'd agree with you, but that doesn't mean that in principle it couldn't, or that there is any law in physics saying it definitely doesn't.

I don't plan on using astrology in my trading, because I've never seen it demonstrated to be successful. HWSteele I think that is the best way to make your case in this thread. Start making predictions based on it, and convince people if you can. No Hindsight analysis.

It is long known and proven that planetary movements can affect other planetary movements
Of course they do. If you happen to live on a moon of Jupiter, there will be one hell of a gravitational effect from your big neighbor. If you happen to live much further away on earth - not so much.
that sunspots have an affect here on earth, that the tides are affected by the moon, which then affect animals behaviour and lots of other astrological effects.
The tides on earth and sunspots are real physical things. They don't belong in the category of "astrological effects" which are pure fantasy.
Just because some planets are further away, doesn't mean that because their pull is small (or outweighed) that there is NO measurable effect. There is. If you start taking away various planets, the orbits of other planets will change. Plus if you then believe in chaos theory, you would realise that a small adjustment can have a massive effect on the system.
I'm somewhat confused here - what massive effects to what system? We're not talking about taking planets away - we're talking about planetary orbits that are fairly stable.

There's tiny measurable effects from all sorts of things all the time. Just handwaving about chaos theory proves nothing at all. Mostly the magnitude of effects from tiny causes or forces is in fact tiny.
Of course as you say though, this affect may be too small (unless something extreme occurs) to have a significant impact on the markets, and I'd agree with you, but that doesn't mean that in principle it couldn't, or that there is any law in physics saying it definitely doesn't.
No and there probably never will be a law of physics that says the gravitational field of Mars has negligible effect on financial markets. But in the absence of evidence that it is any more significant than the gravitational field of the elevator that just passed the trading floor, then it's a fair bet that you are barking up the wrong tree.

dcraig don't use 'your version' of physics to make false conclusions.

It is long known and proven that planetary movements can affect other planetary movements, that sunspots have an affect here on earth, that the tides are affected by the moon, which then affect animals behaviour and lots of other astrological effects. Just because some planets are further away, doesn't mean that because their pull is small (or outweighed) that there is NO measurable effect. There is. If you start taking away various planets, the orbits of other planets will change. Plus if you then believe in chaos theory, you would realise that a small adjustment can have a massive effect on the system.

I don't plan on using astrology in my trading, because I've never seen it demonstrated to be successful. HWSteele I think that is the best way to make your case in this thread. Start making predictions based on it, and convince people if you can. No Hindsight analysis.

When people are 'Blocking', they have said that they refuse to listen and learn, therefore is a waste of time to reply.

I am quite sure that HWSteele has found a way to use aspects in his trading, whether or not he will divulge his method remains to be seen, particularly in the light of the derision he faces in the thread.

Statistics have shown that the phases of the moon have quite an effect on markets, perhaps he is using that, or perhaps he is using the planetary aspects for his decision making.

Time has proven that predictions are not always correct when using astrology, however, there are few methods that I have seen that are on the money in every case.

another market astrologer

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/colum...llishness-triggered-by-jupiter-uranus_1392752

dcraig, one of the reasons that things are fairly stable as you put it, is BECAUSE of other planets. What would happen to earth's orbit if one of these planets was disrupted, or if the moon was? The effects are not necessarily as minor as you make out.

As for sunspots, solar winds and other factors, you casually say they don't belong to astrological effects. This is your own interpretation, not mine, and since it is not clear what affects or causes all of these, the potential that they are caused by other stars and/or planets is very real.

This still doesn't help us predict the market as far as I can see, and I don't think it does, but I don't agree there is some fundamental principle why it can't effect weather or animal behaviour. So I think we should at least give HWS a chance to make some predictions.