Manchester United vs Barcelona 2011

I might be crazy but I had to have a small bet on MU.

I agree that Barca are clear favourites, but MU are well capable of causing an upset and I got 11/4 on them which I think is quite generous for a bookie.

Not crazy at all, the game is 90% perspiration 10% inspiration, they will run themselves into the ground to win if they can get the ball off Barca they have a great chance.

There is no way Man United will allow Messi to do his thing, perhaps man mark him with Fletcher or Carrick...I'll take Man U 2-1, victory for graft not for football. There'll be a sending off or two, Pique, Scholes..?

Messi has been known not to score a goal when his team scored has several times. These guys are tacticians and great team players. He'll be quite happy to take the flak and let Villa, for example, get them in. Marking Barça players does not work, there are too many alternatives. The fact that Messi is in your thoughts is, probanbly, a Barça tactic to get your minds away from the guy who will put them in!

Anyway, we shall see.

Last edited:
Messi has been known not to score a goal when his team scored has several times. These guys are tacticians and great team players. He'll be quite happy to take the flak and let Villa, for example, get them in. Marking Barça players does not work, there are too many alternatives. The fact that Messi is in your thoughts is, probanbly, a Barça tactic to get your minds away from the guy who will put them in!

Anyway, we shall see.

I Agree. Messi isn't hole Barça.

two days left......

I Agree. Messi isn't hole Barça.

Even so I bet Ferguson would give an arm and a leg to have Messi in his team rather than playing for Barcelona.

The man is amazing .... he makes Rooney look like a donkey.

Even so I bet Ferguson would give an arm and a leg to have Messi in his team rather than playing for Barcelona.

Don't think so)))

It will be really an epic battle.

No? I'm surprised. I think that most clubs would. BTW, Mourinho has got rid of Valdano, at last. Next, he will leave the club and RM will have neither of them. Take my advice, Joseff, hope that he does not take MU over from Fergie. There is a rumour over here that he could be the next manager. That is bad news for you, mate, although he has a name for getting cups. I believe that it is the team that gets the cups, Mourinho gets the credit.

Mourinho will never be Man United manager.

He gets results but he is a trouble-maker and Man United will prefer a less controversial character.

I have heard it mooted that Guardiola could become the next Man Utd manager.

He would be perfect ..... can't think of any other serious candidates.

Guardiola will go somewhere else if Barça does not want him but he is a Barça player from a kid. There is a love of Barça and Cataluña, here, that I doubt that MU will overcome. The setup is different. The club is owned by the members and Barça is a national element, just like the flag!

Barcelona to win 2-0 as in 2009.

United will fight until the first Barcelona goal and will then accept the inevitable and gradually lose the plot.

Rooney and / or Vidic to get sent off.

Messi to score at least once.

It's very quiet on this thread, even for a Sunday.

Oh, well, I can listen to 5live 606.

It was a deserved win, even though I was wincing for about 80mins of the game as they systematically took us apart.

Utd midfield is a problem. Lacklustre, aged and with no fluidity. No supply to Rooney and Hernandez. Back 4 and especially Van der Sar did well to keep the scoreline as low as it was. Vidic played well too IMO.

Fergie is going nowhere yet.

I should admit - you were right! Barsa was very good. But I believed in them very bad, so bad that mad a crazy bet.