Making £8k a month on the FTSE

I see I don't have that I think it may be to do with having a Limited Risk account with them. I.e. having garuanteed stop losses.

And yeah I never knew they had deal through charts looks like a frustrating risky thing to me. I don't have that with my account either.

I know a spreadbetting company thats take 50p stakes

If you find a spread better who takes stakes of 50p or less on the FTSE then great as this would reduce it to 3.5% for a £200 bank. Anyway lets prove it consistently works first to see if we have a winner or not. Thanks for the comment as it makes me think and i will look to see if a spread betting company does 50p stakes or not.

Hi,

I know a spreadbetting company that takes 50p spreads. Please e-mail so we can both learn from one another.

Regards

Viper

IG Trailing

I emailed IG and if you send them a mail requesting them to remove your limited risk account they will do this which will then enable trailing stops.

I traded from 8 to 8.35 today and left my last trade to stop out or profit limit. Did two trades one small loss and one win larger than the loss made. The loss should've been a win but the 6 point spread took a few seconds at 8am to change to a 2 point spread. Anyone get this problem at 8 on the dot?

Rethought my whole strategy last night and put it on today works great so far.

Viks

P.S. IG index allows spreadbets from 10p per point on the ftse100

Hi All
Did well yesterday making 77 points. I had a break today with no trading but will go back over today and see what the signals would have given so i keep my database spot on. People must have made good money today as i have had a look at the chart quickly and it was up up up this afternoon apart from the last hour. Well done viks there is only one way to learn and thats by doing it. Dont normally trade before 8 so dont know of or experienced this. I find trading before 8 is hap hazard. The people who really move the markets come in at 7a.m see whats happened overnight, have some briefings and then get down to work. I find that this time is either flat or a bit choppy.
Regards
Mr P.

You don't try to move to fast forward,only very very slowely put more money on each bet.Stick hard to what is making you the money. It is very hard to follow what someone els does,so no one should try to follow you're footsteps.Every trader is different.We still love to hear how you do it.

Hi All
Did well yesterday making 77 points. I had a break today with no trading but will go back over today and see what the signals would have given so i keep my database spot on. People must have made good money today as i have had a look at the chart quickly and it was up up up this afternoon apart from the last hour. Well done viks there is only one way to learn and thats by doing it. Dont normally trade before 8 so dont know of or experienced this. I find trading before 8 is hap hazard. The people who really move the markets come in at 7a.m see whats happened overnight, have some briefings and then get down to work. I find that this time is either flat or a bit choppy.
Regards
Mr P.
Well done mrp. Keep it up...

MrP

"Scalping" a stock index like you are doing must have a practical limit in terms of stake size.

There is a need for a fairly rapid response by the SB company when you are trying to place a bet and enter a trade. At a certain stake size the response rate may be too slow for your system to be effective.

Firstly, have you got any idea approximately what that stake size might be ?

Secondly, if not, rather than sticking at £ 10 or £ 20 per point, why don't you just continue to compound your bank and have the stake size grow so that your financial risk is always a fixed small percentage of your trading bank.

It is up to the individual and his or her attitude to risk just what that percentage might be.

If you did this you would eventually arrive at a stake size where the whole thing might become impractical from the point of view of SB response rate.

This stake size would represent your upper limit or just above your upper limit of practicality.

I am just wondering what that stake size might be.

Anyone got any ideas ?

MrP

"Scalping" a stock index like you are doing must have a practical limit in terms of stake size.

There is a need for a fairly rapid response by the SB company when you are trying to place a bet and enter a trade. At a certain stake size the response rate may be too slow for your system to be effective.

Firstly, have you got any idea approximately what that stake size might be ?

Secondly, if not, rather than sticking at £ 10 or £ 20 per point, why don't you just continue to compound your bank and have the stake size grow so that your financial risk is always a fixed small percentage of your trading bank.

It is up to the individual and his or her attitude to risk just what that percentage might be.

If you did this you would eventually arrive at a stake size where the whole thing might become impractical from the point of view of SB response rate.

This stake size would represent your upper limit or just above your upper limit of practicality.

I am just wondering what that stake size might be.

Anyone got any ideas ?

depends on the sb provider, you will get instant fills up to £50 pp on ig, most the others will be £20 pp

Yacarob1
you're right about keeping the risk small but i think this should be done only once you're satisfied with the amount of profit month on month. If you're happy making $4000 and month and are consistenly doing this with $10 pp then stick to it why risk more when you're happy with that profit. if you increase your stake you just risk losing more unless you're money hungry and want more then go for it.

MrP
I trade from 8 in the morning not before due to the large spreads before 8 however I've learnt that if you wait 5mins a lot of the activity slows from there up until about 8.20ish then continues as with less fluctuation in comparison to 8am.

Blackburns,
I only saw this thread after I had started spread betting the FTSE100 intraday so I use my own strategy which is more simplictic and am continuing with my own tweaking of the strategy. It is a good heads up for people who are new to this though blackburns.

Two trades placed so far today one loss and one win, I'm break even at the moment.

Viks

Yacarob1
you're right about keeping the risk small but i think this should be done only once you're satisfied with the amount of profit month on month. If you're happy making $4000 and month and are consistenly doing this with $10 pp then stick to it why risk more when you're happy with that profit. if you increase your stake you just risk losing more unless you're money hungry and want more then go for it. Viks

But if your risk is a percentage of the size of your account then it doesnt matter if its 10p a point or £100 a point if its still 2% or 1% of your account size. The risk levels are still the same the profit margin shouldn't come into it.

But if your risk is a percentage of the size of your account then it doesnt matter if its 10p a point or £100 a point if its still 2% or 1% of your account size. The risk levels are still the same the profit margin shouldn't come into it.

Exactly my point.

Mr P

I note that you use or have used both IG Index and Capital Spreads.

Of the 2, which one gives...

1. Smallest spreads
2. Fastest fills
3. Better platform reliability
4. Less likelihood of "diddling" ( for want of a better word ) you ?

Mr P

I note that you use or have used both IG Index and Capital Spreads.

Of the 2, which one gives...

1. Smallest spreads
2. Fastest fills
3. Better platform reliability
4. Less likelihood of "diddling" ( for want of a better word ) you ?

cs
ig
ig
ig

I see what your saying now.

You're right if you leave all your profits in the bank you'd compound and earn more and more if you're profiting. Hope that makes sense.

I'm someone who up until a certain value will keep only that value in the account anything above that value i'd withdraw. I'd take anything above it week-on-week out of the bank.

For example: only allowing no more than $10,000 in my account and risking 1% in any one trade so $100 per trade. Once i've built capital i'd probably spreadbet 5% of my account in total trades.

How much does anyone else reading this risk in total trades or per trade?