Looking for a new Spread Betting home...will be moving from IG...Tips welcome

Capital Spreads are not the only SB with a bad demo platform. SLM have frequent connection/ platform freezing issues on the demo but the live is a lot more reliable. Still slip you a good 8 points from time to time though. I like Renko charts which means the MT4 platform with SLM is ideal. You cant do Renko on any other spread better as far as i know. Please correct me if this is not the case. MT4 is a bit poor for getting market orders in quickly though. Fortunately it is programmable so i have created some scripts to speed things up.

The ideal would be MT4 charts and programmability with Capital Spreads spreads and execution. CMC 'next gen' platform is one of the slowest and clunkiest i have ever seen. It seems to have 'lag' built in.

CMC 'next gen' platform is one of the slowest and clunkiest i have ever seen. It seems to have 'lag' built in.

It's fine if you run it on a Sinclair Spectrum with a 14Kbs dial-up modem.

btw, GFT has Renko.

Last edited:
Capital Spreads are not the only SB with a bad demo platform. SLM have frequent connection/ platform freezing issues on the demo but the live is a lot more reliable. Still slip you a good 8 points from time to time though. I like Renko charts which means the MT4 platform with SLM is ideal. You cant do Renko on any other spread better as far as i know. Please correct me if this is not the case. MT4 is a bit poor for getting market orders in quickly though. Fortunately it is programmable so i have created some scripts to speed things up.

The ideal would be MT4 charts and programmability with Capital Spreads spreads and execution. CMC 'next gen' platform is one of the slowest and clunkiest i have ever seen. It seems to have 'lag' built in.
What do you mean by scripts to speed things up. If you have a "special" fast MT4 script, please post it here or send me a pm with it.

Tradefair are really good. Simple to use, tight spreads, and the very very few problems ive ever had have bin resolved str8 away by them.... Its abit basic il be honest, but sometimes less is more

I've not read the whole thread, but in response to OP's original question....

I traded with IG for a good few years but have had some issues with them over the last 6 Months or so and their recent change to their own (crap) basic charting package was the final straw. I tried working with their development team to get the charts fixed but gave up in the end and closed one of my accounts in protest. (I still trade another small account with them because they are generally the best for execution during extreme market volatility).

So, shopping around I tried some new providers. Hated FXCM, had some issues with City Index and eventually settled with Capital Spreads back in August 2011.

There were some fairly serious issues with Caps in the first Month or 2 and they were not resolved satisfactorily (well, not in my favour anyway), and you can read about these on the Capital Spreads thread. But still, I've continued using them mainly for swing trades but also for some day trading. I don't use their charts though - I use City Index basic charts for a quick intraday look and pro realtime charts for detailed analysis (same as IG's advanced charts).

Don't know why, but my day trading percentage wins has been consistently higher using Capital Spreads. Could be coincidence, could be the clean look of the platform or the layout of the platform, or could be the simple format in which you can track your trading history, whatever it is, my (day trading) profits have increased.

There are occasional issues with the Caps platform, occasional issues with spikes on minor FX charts, none of which have reached my stop loss or limit orders so don't know how they would manage this if I lost through it. I did receive an email notification saying a trade had been stopped out at my stop level and I knew the price hadn't been to that level, but when I logged in the trade was still there so I'm guessing they automatically re-instated it.

There are rare times when the Caps platform gives delayed quotes, or even when the price of an index freezes completely. Had an example of this recently when I entered a day trade and the price was going in my favour but the ticket was frozen and showing me as being in a small loss. About 5-10 mins later the price reversed and went miles against me, but the ticket was still showing the small loss - so I took the loss and reversed the trade with a larger stake. The ticket stayed frozen for another 5 - 10 mins (still showing my entry level), whilst price continued significantly in my favour. Suddenly, the ticket unfroze and I banked a very nice profit. Pretty much a once in a life time event but it felt great and I felt like I'd recovered what they owed me from the original issues I'd experienced shortly after opening the account.

Caps do have more slippage than IG but I've found that the slippage is equally in your favour as it is against you, unlike with IG where it has only ever happened against me.

I've come across issues with IG skewing spreads and this has cost me in the past, but not had the same issues with Caps.

Overall when considering all of the options, and even comparing the costs of trading with a direct broker, I'm happy to trade with an SB firm and I'm generally happy using Capital Spreads platform.

I've not read the whole thread, but in response to OP's original question....

I traded with IG for a good few years but have had some issues with them over the last 6 Months or so and their recent change to their own (crap) basic charting package was the final straw. I tried working with their development team to get the charts fixed but gave up in the end and closed one of my accounts in protest. (I still trade another small account with them because they are generally the best for execution during extreme market volatility).

So, shopping around I tried some new providers. Hated FXCM, had some issues with City Index and eventually settled with Capital Spreads back in August 2011.

There were some fairly serious issues with Caps in the first Month or 2 and they were not resolved satisfactorily (well, not in my favour anyway), and you can read about these on the Capital Spreads thread. But still, I've continued using them mainly for swing trades but also for some day trading. I don't use their charts though - I use City Index basic charts for a quick intraday look and pro realtime charts for detailed analysis (same as IG's advanced charts).

Don't know why, but my day trading percentage wins has been consistently higher using Capital Spreads. Could be coincidence, could be the clean look of the platform or the layout of the platform, or could be the simple format in which you can track your trading history, whatever it is, my (day trading) profits have increased.

There are occasional issues with the Caps platform, occasional issues with spikes on minor FX charts, none of which have reached my stop loss or limit orders so don't know how they would manage this if I lost through it. I did receive an email notification saying a trade had been stopped out at my stop level and I knew the price hadn't been to that level, but when I logged in the trade was still there so I'm guessing they automatically re-instated it.

There are rare times when the Caps platform gives delayed quotes, or even when the price of an index freezes completely. Had an example of this recently when I entered a day trade and the price was going in my favour but the ticket was frozen and showing me as being in a small loss. About 5-10 mins later the price reversed and went miles against me, but the ticket was still showing the small loss - so I took the loss and reversed the trade with a larger stake. The ticket stayed frozen for another 5 - 10 mins (still showing my entry level), whilst price continued significantly in my favour. Suddenly, the ticket unfroze and I banked a very nice profit. Pretty much a once in a life time event but it felt great and I felt like I'd recovered what they owed me from the original issues I'd experienced shortly after opening the account.

Caps do have more slippage than IG but I've found that the slippage is equally in your favour as it is against you, unlike with IG where it has only ever happened against me.

I've come across issues with IG skewing spreads and this has cost me in the past, but not had the same issues with Caps.

Overall when considering all of the options, and even comparing the costs of trading with a direct broker, I'm happy to trade with an SB firm and I'm generally happy using Capital Spreads platform.

I didn't think FXCM was too bad... but depositing and withdrawing funds takes a bloody long time and that was the reason I left. CityIndex was terrible - incredibly basic and really poor charts. I settled with IG Index, but as with all of them its not perfect.

I didn't think FXCM was too bad... but depositing and withdrawing funds takes a bloody long time and that was the reason I left. CityIndex was terrible - incredibly basic and really poor charts. I settled with IG Index, but as with all of them its not perfect.

Hi ip2012,

FXCM recently rolled out a new deposit system for credit and debit card deposits which automatically posts deposits to the account as the deposit is made. So the majority of deposits by credit/debit card will now experience faster crediting to accounts for you to begin trading.

Jason

How many people are now considering the financial strength of the broker when deciding who to trade with? i.e. who is least likely to do a worldspreads or MF Global

If so, I'd be interested to hear how people are going about conducting their research.

Cheers

How many people are now considering the financial strength of the broker when deciding who to trade with? i.e. who is least likely to do a worldspreads or MF Global

Does financial strength really decide whether your broker is going to go bust?
Wasn't Man Financial strong financially but still they went down.
Isn't it strange that those who go bust appear to be the big ones?
Who's next?

InterTrader offers fix spreads, they recently incorporate IT-Finance advanced charting pack to all their clients for free ( IGindex offers them for 30 pounds)
Provide several platforms options ( mobile, MT4, web-based) and they offer very good live trading session webinars for their experienced traders.

Tradefair are really good. Simple to use, tight spreads, and the very very few problems ive ever had have bin resolved str8 away by them.... Its abit basic il be honest, but sometimes less is more

Exactly my impression when I was using them.
That was quite some time ago though.
Quite good for a beginner if you could have really low stakes.

If so, I'd be interested to hear how people are going about conducting their research.

I suppose one approach would be to get hold of the annual reports of the firm involved (and/or its parent company). LCG's are fairly easy to access and well laid-out. I've found others to be less so, but must admit, haven't gone too far down this road.