Looking for a new Spread Betting home...will be moving from IG...Tips welcome

It means they have variable spread on the currency pairs. If that is the case 0.8 spread is not as good as it seems. It also says "from 0.8" on IG's website so the spread is not fixed. The perfect SB company, no such a thing.:)

Yeah, I realize they have variable spreads, but they were pretty stable at 0.8 - meaning it spent most of the time at 0.8 - now I would say it is 50/50 - 0.8/2.0

Yeah, I realize they have variable spreads, but they were pretty stable at 0.8 - meaning it spent most of the time at 0.8 - now I would say it is 50/50 - 0.8/2.0

The spread only has to flick wider instantaneously to make nonsense of the 0.8pip claim. Effectively it's 2p, so as a fixed spread is almost always one of the big advantages of SB over the 'real market', why use IG instead of someone like CS?

re. FP, I think you can only trade in the contract sizes of the underlying market, not £1/pt, or whatever.

The spread only has to flick wider instantaneously to make nonsense of the 0.8pip claim. Effectively it's 2p, so as a fixed spread is almost always one of the big advantages of SB over the 'real market',

I agree, and if your buying or selling breakouts when the market is moving quickly chances are your getting into the market at the wider spread. So it is really a 2p spread.

Hi Mate

i noticed the exact same thing you are reporting here, more time at the 2 pip spread.

yes, I thought this was a bug in the software but the helpdesk confirmed that this is normal behaviour - a bit daft really: it just makes IG look dodgy IMHO

try capital spreads - the execution seems pretty good these days

Last edited:
I tried to close a profitable position last week, but the IG close position tab was greyed out. It was a fast moving position, I tried repeatedly and finally it allowed by to open the close position window and take my profits - which had halved in the time spent waiting for the close position tab to work. No explanation, no refund. SO dodgy.

The spread only has to flick wider instantaneously to make nonsense of the 0.8pip claim. Effectively it's 2p, so as a fixed spread is almost always one of the big advantages of SB over the 'real market', why use IG instead of someone like CS?

re. FP, I think you can only trade in the contract sizes of the underlying market, not £1/pt, or whatever.

I did once try a Capital Spreads demo - or one of their thousands of off-shoots, but every stop was slipped, that is my one major hate, I'd much rather pay it at the front end than at the back end.

I spoke on the phone with Darren from FP - he was asking me to open an account with just a 1000 so I could practise on their live platform as their demo doesn't really exist - I said there was no way I was practising using their platform at 10 pound per point, he definitely said that I could trade from just one pound - which doesn't make any sense if they are a true DMA provider.

Havent really read through the thread,but I use intertrader and gft.Intertrader because they offer 1 pip fixed on eur/usd and very good spreads on other majors.Dont make the mistake of knocking some of the bucket shop boys.They also have a sign up bonus and and 10% rebate. I use gft as their spreads are very good on other non majors whereas intertrader spreads are very poor on say gbp/chf,they may run at 8 pips whereas gft are 4 pips. I get the best of both worlds.ialso have accounts with everyone going so must be good if ive settled on these two

P.S. if you do sign up,i might as well have the introductory bonus:)

I did once try a Capital Spreads demo - or one of their thousands of off-shoots, but every stop was slipped, that is my one major hate, I'd much rather pay it at the front end than at the back end.

I spoke on the phone with Darren from FP - he was asking me to open an account with just a 1000 so I could practise on their live platform as their demo doesn't really exist - I said there was no way I was practising using their platform at 10 pound per point, he definitely said that I could trade from just one pound - which doesn't make any sense if they are a true DMA provider.
When Did you try Capitalspreads? I have done thousands of trades with them on a live account, no slippage at all. In fact it is the only SB company around (to my knowledge so far) that actually gives you the price you have click on without any kind of delay. The only thing, they can have referral to a dealer during important figures, but that apply to all traders and I can accept that. Simon also present at the CS thread patiently answering questions year after year, what more do you want? Yes could be 1 point on the Dow, in the pipeline so I have heard.

Havent really read through the thread,but I use intertrader and gft.Intertrader because they offer 1 pip fixed on eur/usd and very good spreads on other majors.Dont make the mistake of knocking some of the bucket shop boys.They also have a sign up bonus and and 10% rebate. I use gft as their spreads are very good on other non majors whereas intertrader spreads are very poor on say gbp/chf,they may run at 8 pips whereas gft are 4 pips. I get the best of both worlds.ialso have accounts with everyone going so must be good if ive settled on these two

P.S. if you do sign up,i might as well have the introductory bonus:)
You don't by any chance use Intertrader's CFD's MT4 platform? Interested in it as they got 1 point spread on the Dow. I am also interested in their SB platform being a white label under London Capital Group.

When Did you try Capitalspreads? I have done thousands of trades with them on a live account, no slippage at all. In fact it is the only SB company around (to my knowledge so far) that actually gives you the price you have click on without any kind of delay. The only thing, they can have referral to a dealer during important figures, but that apply to all traders and I can accept that. Simon also present at the CS thread patiently answering questions year after year, what more do you want? Yes could be 1 point on the Dow, in the pipeline so I have heard.

I have never had a live CS account - as my post explains, the demo account was slipped all over the place so it put me off opening a live account - if their stops are good on live accounts I may well try them. I have also been a bit put off by the number of different AKA's - but I can get over that :cheesy:

I have never had a live CS account - as my post explains, the demo account was slipped all over the place so it put me off opening a live account - if their stops are good on live accounts I may well try them. I have also been a bit put off by the number of different AKA's - but I can get over that :cheesy:
Yes you should definitely give them a try. I have very tough standards when trying out a SB company live. So far over time CS seems to be the only SB that I feel comfortable trading with. They deliver what they promise, and without playing any funny games. After 6 years of trading with them I hope it will continue but one never knows.:)

So it has happened to someone else with the demo account, I have reported this same problem and made to feel like I'm the only one this has ever happened to.

I would expect the demo to work as well if not better then the real thing.

So it has happened to someone else with the demo account, I have reported this same problem and made to feel like I'm the only one this has ever happened to.

I would expect the demo to work as well if not better then the real thing.

Yeah, must be the only demo that performs worse than the live platform.....!

Tar, they tweak for sure, but I am researching the market for a better customer experience. slightly better or worse spreads aren't the end of the World...

My account is "big" for me...like I suppose many people's are! But it is not insignificant...

I had over 100k with them before and they still messed me about with trades. I believe Tickdoc is right. Some places appreciate your business if you have over 50k in an account, but IG don't. You can't really blame them though because they must have a lot bigger clients. If you're trading shares i recommend Cantor Index, because I used to work next to the guys who worked there and they appreciate any business large or small, and unlike IG or the like their shares guys know what they are doing.

We'll get there soon and they'll miss out on our business but they have such a big monopoly now that i'm not sure they are too bothered.

CMC's platform has become decidedly worse since the recent change - and also unimpressed with their attitude.

I remember looking at ETX sometime ago, but got no further, would be good to let us know how they are if you open an account with them.

Am also keeping an eye on FP Markets | CFD Trading Broker and Spread Bet Provider UK | DMA | CFDs Trading Platforms | Contract For Difference
they claim to offer a demo but it is 15 minutes delayed and unable to take demo trades, which is a complete waste of time. I don't normally need a demo account, but will have to if I move to DMA because it will be completely new for me. I also got a bit suspicious when he said trades can be opened at 1 pound a point - if so, how can it be DMA...?

Hi x4x,

Unfortunately due to FP Markets only offering Direct Market Access, a ‘dummy’ account where you are able to place trades is impossible. With DMA, all trades are automatically sent to the underlying exchange, there is no such thing as fictitious markets or fictitious money hence why our demo does not have the functionality available to place trades. In relation to the data being 15 minutes delayed, as I am sure you can appreciate, live data is not cheap, especially when we are handing out large numbers of demo accounts (we would have to pay all the exchange fee’s for each and every user were we to display live prices in our demo which would amount to a very large cost).

Trading DMA is not much different to trading through a market maker, the exception being you have the ability to see market depth (volumes and all orders in the market), you can be a price maker not just a price taker, you have the benefit of additional order types (not just market or limit orders), and all our prices come direct from the underlying exchange which means no additional spread is added. On top of that with DMA there are no order re-quotes, you get real market liquidity and you can participate in both opening and closing market auctions. Other than actually placing trades and the fact data is delayed by 15 minutes, our demo is exactly the same as our live platform, the fact it is DMA does not differentiate the platform (except from the benefits mentioned above) from those of market makers, all it comes down to I guess is personal preference.....

Being a DMA provider, we can offer multiple instruments as long as they can be hedged in the underlying market. In relation to the £1 a point query, FX and equities values are smaller than those of indices, I guess when speaking to Darren you were referencing FX...the minimum purchase lot would be 10,000 of the base currency, at this rate of 10,000 if it was to move 1 point then this would equal a £1 gain or loss....dependant on the price of the equity which is obviously different for all equities, it is again possible to do £1 a point or there or there about’s, though this obviously differentiates for Indices where the minimum is 1 full contract which for the FTSE would be £10 a point.

Thanks

Hi FP Markets,

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

It's good that you have confirmed that the FX markets are trade-able from around £1. Just to confirm, if the E/U moves up from 1.30170 to 1.30180 that would equate to a single point.

Currently spread betting suits, but I will keep FP Markets in mind if I ever feel I'd like to try DMA.

Cheers.