LIVE intra day trading with Grey1 ( second leg)

Hi Charlton,

Thanks for replying.

I can't get the data compression column displayed in radar screen. Any suggestions on how would be greatly appreciated?

Kind regards

TMM
I have attached a copy of what my radar screen looks like for the Iraj n minute change. It has 3 columns - cents, atr and netchange.

I think you want to insert the standard TS8 indicator called "Interval" as shown in the column to the left of the Iraj N minute.

I have also amended this indicator with the following 2 lines

If GETSYMBOLNAME = "$INDU" Then
SetPlotColor(1, Blue);

iF getsymbolname = "$INDU" then
Setplotbgcolor(1, white);

This highlights the interval or, for that matter any indicators that you can edit, for the $INDU. When you have an automated sort on ATR it makes it easier to spot which symbols are above or below the INDU. I also plan to create differential colours for those above and below the INDU row.

Hope this was what you were after

Charlton

Attachments

• iraj n minute.png
    iraj n minute.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 37
I have attached a copy of what my radar screen looks like for the Iraj n minute change. It has 3 columns - cents, atr and netchange.

I think you want to insert the standard TS8 indicator called "Interval" as shown in the column to the left of the Iraj N minute.

SetPlotColor(1, Blue);

This highlights the interval or, for that matter any indicators that you can edit, for the $INDU. When you have an automated sort on ATR it makes it easier to spot which symbols are above or below the INDU. I also plan to create differential colours for those above and below the INDU row.

Hope this was what you were after

Charlton

Arhhh, so other screen shots of 'Iraj N Minute Change' that members have posted are presumably of older versions of TS were 'interval' is called 'data compression'?

Thanks for the additional code, it's a great idea.

Kind regards

TMM

Arhhh, so other screen shots of 'Iraj N Minute Change' that members have posted are presumably of older versions of TS were 'interval' is called 'data compression'?

Thanks for the additional code, it's a great idea.

Kind regards

TMM

Yes that's correct - many members used TS 2000 and tend to use that term. In the TS8 user guides here is a short extract to confirm this:

Data Intervals
The terms Data Interval, Bar Interval, and Data Compression, all refer to the Data Interval for each bar
in a chart. It is the amount of time or trading activity used to determine when a bar ends and another bar begins.

There are a couple of free pdf Easylanguage manuals where you can search for this type of thing:

https://www.tradestation.com/support/books/

Charlton

Yes that's correct - many members used TS 2000 and tend to use that term. In the TS8 user guides here is a short extract to confirm this:

Data Intervals
The terms Data Interval, Bar Interval, and Data Compression, all refer to the Data Interval for each bar
in a chart. It is the amount of time or trading activity used to determine when a bar ends and another bar begins.

There are a couple of free pdf Easylanguage manuals where you can search for this type of thing:

https://www.tradestation.com/support/books/

Charlton

Excuse my laziness, i was convinced it was an integral part of the indicator and did not delve to deep into the TS literature. Thanks for clarifying.

Assuming Grey1's 'N Minute Change' uses the symbol interval for it's calculations then, what is the 'N_Minutes' input used for? Apologies for my ignorance on this!

Kind regards

TMM

SetPlotColor(1, Blue);

If you wanted to streamline your code abit you could do this instead.....

If GETSYMBOLNAME = "$INDU" Then begin
SetPlotColor(1, Blue);
end;

Just a thought

Cheers

Andy

Assuming Grey1's 'N Minute Change' uses the symbol interval for it's calculations then, what is the 'N_Minutes' input used for? Apologies for my ignorance on this!

Kind regards

TMM

The N_Minutes input is to do with the calculation of the ATR according to Iraj, so we leave it set at 10 and then adjust your interval in radarscreen every 14 minutes in the session, to allow it to look back at the whole of todays session.

Hope this helps

Andy

The N_Minutes input is to do with the calculation of the ATR according to Iraj, so we leave it set at 10 and then adjust your interval in radarscreen every 14 minutes in the session, to allow it to look back at the whole of todays session.

Hope this helps

Andy

Hi Andy,

I understand now, thanks very much. The indicator is always looking back to the start of the session in 14 intervals (providing the symbol interval is updated every 14mins) and using the 'N_Minutes' input is calculating how much a symbol gains/loses in the last 10 minutes.

When implementing this strategy do you manually execute the positions (stock by stock) or do you automate the process somehow?

Kind regards

TMM

Hi Andy,

I understand now, thanks very much. The indicator is always looking back to the start of the session in 14 intervals (providing the symbol interval is updated every 14mins) and using the 'N_Minutes' input is calculating how much a symbol gains/loses in the last 10 minutes.

When implementing this strategy do you manually execute the positions (stock by stock) or do you automate the process somehow?

Kind regards

TMM

Depending on how you want to enter, you could use a basket order, but if you want to try a for a premium entry then wait for a 3 bar pullback on each stock, but you might miss the boat. It's a case of trial and error really.

Cheers

Andy

Depending on how you want to enter, you could use a basket order, but if you want to try a for a premium entry then wait for a 3 bar pullback on each stock, but you might miss the boat. It's a case of trial and error really.

Cheers

Andy

Ok thanks.

Hope this helps

Andy
Andy

I thought the recommended setting for that was 5, because I recall on both the recent seminars that Iraj said we would have to wait until 70 minutes before we could use the indicator (14 x 5 mins). Having said that I don't think it makes much difference - it halves the values, but in relative terms the ATRS still follow the same order and relationship to the INDU line.

By the way - a note for TheMoneyMachine: the data compression is changed by highlighting the symbol column, right click and choose Format all symbols. Change interval settings to those shown by the MISC function.

Charlton

Andy

I thought the recommended setting for that was 5, because I recall on both the recent seminars that Iraj said we would have to wait until 70 minutes before we could use the indicator (14 x 5 mins). Having said that I don't think it makes much difference - it halves the values, but in relative terms the ATRS still follow the same order and relationship to the INDU line.

Charlton

Hi Charlton

The setting should remain at 10, Iraj was saying on the first webinar that we really should wait until 70 minutes has passed then you set your radarscreen interval to 5 min.

Although on the 2nd webinar we used it pretty much from the off, just kept adjusted the interval time, but the value of the N_Minute input remained the same ( at 10 ).

Hope this helps

Andy

Hi Charlton

The setting should remain at 10, Iraj was saying on the first webinar that we really should wait until 70 minutes has passed then you set your radarscreen interval to 5 min.

Although on the 2nd webinar we used it pretty much from the off, just kept adjusted the interval time, but the value of the N_Minute input remained the same ( at 10 ).

Hope this helps

Andy
Thanks it does help - it's easy to get these nuances incorrect. I will alter my settings now

Charlton

By the way - a note for TheMoneyMachine: the data compression is changed by highlighting the symbol column, right click and choose Format all symbols. Change interval settings to those shown by the MISC function.

Charlton

Thanks Charlton.

Would someone be kind enough to clarify the stop-loss policy Grey1 recommended for his 'N Minute Change' strategy?

Kind regards

TMM

Theres no stop loss in the usual sense of the term. Instead, if you had gone short a stock or stocks when the 5min and 10min MACCI were overbought and turning down, you would get out of your shorts when either or both the 5min and 10min MACCI were oversold and turning up.

Luckybucks

Would someone be kind enough to clarify the stop-loss policy Grey1 recommended for his 'N Minute Change' strategy?

Kind regards

TMM

Theres no stop loss in the usual sense of the term. Instead, if you had gone short a stock or stocks when the 5min and 10min MACCI were overbought and turning down, you would get out of your shorts when either or both the 5min and 10min MACCI were oversold and turning up.

Luckybucks

Hi Luckybucks,

Using your example when would you exit your position if the stock/stocks continued to trend upwards? When the loss on your position reaches your maximum loss threshold e.g. 1% of capital allocation?

Kind regards

TMM

If you went short on a 10min macci because it was overbought and then turned down, but then once you were short, the 10min turned up again, that would be your stop loss signal to get out.

If you were short a stock because MACCI of Dow 10 min had turned down, but your stock continues to go up, then you have to have some kind of disaster stop in place. If you chose the list from the Iraj_N_Minute Change code, then you should have shorted one of the weakest stocks on the list and it should follow the market down. I remember in the fist seminar Grey1 allowed a stock to run against him quite a bit and then just took the loss, and he did emphasize not using a money stop at all. Divergence on the Macci was the stop.

Luckybucks

Hi Luckybucks,

Using your example when would you exit your position if the stock/stocks continued to trend upwards? When the loss on your position reaches your maximum loss threshold e.g. 1% of capital allocation?

Kind regards

TMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBucks View Post

Luckybucks

If you went short on a 10min macci because it was overbought and then turned down, but then once you were short, the 10min turned up again, that would be your stop loss signal to get out.

If you were short a stock because MACCI of Dow 10 min had turned down, but your stock continues to go up, then you have to have some kind of disaster stop in place. If you chose the list from the Iraj_N_Minute Change code, then you should have shorted one of the weakest stocks on the list and it should follow the market down. I remember in the fist seminar Grey1 allowed a stock to run against him quite a bit and then just took the loss, and he did emphasize not using a money stop at all. Divergence on the Macci was the stop.

Luckybucks

Ok thanks for clarifying.

Kind regards

TMM

Hi Everyone,

When Iraj gave this seminar I missed some of what he was talking about in the early session. When using Finviz he gave a list of settings that are to be applied each day for strong stocks. What I missed is what the settings are for weak stocks.

Could someone give an overview of what these settings are ?

Also what settings are used, if any, for day-trading ?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Everyone,

When Iraj gave this seminar I missed some of what he was talking about in the early session. When using Finviz he gave a list of settings that are to be applied each day for strong stocks. What I missed is what the settings are for weak stocks.

Could someone give an overview of what these settings are ?

Also what settings are used, if any, for day-trading ?

Thanks

Paul

I wasn't at the seminar, but I think these are the ones:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/tec...y-trading-grey1-second-leg-11.html#post443799