Is Spread Betting a worthwhile means of trading?

Is Spread Betting a worthwhile means of trading?

• Yes

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other comment (please add a comment to the thread)

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
then there is the issue of your edge over the spread bet firm.. you need a system that almost prints money :D

Which quite often means you need to be trading size that they won't hedge; for example if I were to try to trade 50 lots worth of pork bellies using that system I outlined it would go through a dealer and they probably wouldn't accept it, unless they were poorly trained (quite possible).

Do a few pounds a point and it's free money.

David Laws seems like an impressive chap, ex of BZW and JPMorgan. It's as though the children were running the tuckshop and now the adults have arrived to impose order.

Yep, I'm sure the 38 year old Gideon Osborne, 13th Baronet of BallenTaylor, will be a huge benefit given his work experience...

Which quite often means you need to be trading size that they won't hedge; for example if I were to try to trade 50 lots worth of pork bellies using that system I outlined it would go through a dealer and they probably wouldn't accept it, unless they were poorly trained (quite possible).

Do a few pounds a point and it's free money.

flying low, under the SB firms radar, is the only way to do it, I reckon they have little issues even if you're taking 30-50 trades per day if it's small money...

Probably the same f*ckheads who would pay Blair twice as much for a speech.

Erm........... Americans ??

The speech circuit is simply a sham, a cover. They round up all the great and good that Brown helped when he...ahem.."saved the world and rescued the banking system" and they 'till up for him..same way they did Blair for forwarding the US industrial military complex objectives..

Lucky for us Hague is back. Appearance definitely plays a part in politics - if Hague didn't sound like a robot (and look like an alien), he would have a better chance of being elected.

Neil Kinnock didn't score his open goal in 1992 because he was A USELESS ginger T0SSER. Sad but true.

I hope you don't mind - I've taken the liberty of filling in a few missing words. :)

Are you using Prospreads? The bid/ask on commodities on IG is wiiide.

Doesn't really matter if you're doing the main bit where my plan makes sense (i.e. selling on limit down/buying on limit up at close) because you're only paying half the spread, and the fair price is presumably far past it...

I'll PM you best company to use

I saw an idea posted somewhere that I thought was rather interesting; essentially spread betting companies should offer unleveraged spread bets on unit trusts etc as a way of doing tax free investing...

Sounds like a good idea to me. Provided the costs were kept to a minimum.

I mean, I know they wanted people to spend, but surely, they also wanted people to save.
What's gone on in the savings market since the "credit crunch" is nothing short of an insult.
When the smoke eventually clears (if it ever does), I would like to think some serious questions are asked about this. As it is, people are already questioning the dubious value of a lot of cash ISAs.

My current cash isa pays 2.75%, that's not too bad imo given base rate.

But this spread betting savings idea could make all savings tax free, at least until they inevitably stopped it...

Same happened with Hague when he stepped down. He just vanished for a while too. Which was a shame because he was good.

Yes, I agree. I am not a Tory, and would never vote for them (again), but I have time for Hague. He was far better than Blair in Parliament, from my memory of PMQT etc.

When I hear Blair speak, I get a gag reflex, and have always done since before he became PM. That was never the case with Hague, and still isn't. And this is in the knowledge that he is basically far too right-wing for my tastes.

Thank you for the contributions ladies (ever the optimist!) and gentlemen.

More welcome; I'm fine with the politics also, even if you are diametrically opposed to me (I'm a bleeding-heart, sandal-wearing Grauniad reader :) ). (No beard though, and I eat meat; lots of it). :)

On the tax thing, not wishing to get into an argument about whether it is currently taxable, it would not surprise me if a new reforming government were to try to do something stupid, even if it didn't make financial sense. This is not a political point, since I think a Labour majority government or a Labour-Lib-Dem coalition might also have tried the same.

Just remember, as "Boy" George Osborne said, "we're all in this together". I'm afraid we are all going to have to struggle by on our £30mio inheritance until better times come back.

Really? Seems like the humourless prefect promoted above his ability to me.

Give the man a chance! He's just got in. You really should consider yourself fortunate.
The IMF sent Spain another rocket today. Zapatero will take a couple of days to figure it out and then will pass the buck for the unions to swallow.

Give the man a chance! He's just got in. You really should consider yourself fortunate.
The IMF sent Spain another rocket today. Zapatero will take a couple of days to figure it out and then will pass the buck for the unions to swallow.

IMO folk need to consider that the fiscal and monetary problems, created singularly by the US banks acting like financial terrorists, are *bigger* than even the IMF can sort...

Note the deafening (IMF) silence in 3rd Q 2008 when the global system nearly collapsed and subsequently the almost total lack of criticism pointed towards the US administration and its banks yet the immediate knee jerk admonishment and intervention with Europe...:sneaky:

If anyone spends more than a few minutes investigating fractional reserve banking, it quickly becomes clear the entire system is a giant ponzi scheme. Fiat money is almost a figment of our imagination. Nonetheless, it's essential to a modern, functioning society and the central banks need to control its value. Good luck with that, I fear we are approaching very unstable times.