Is Spread Betting a worthwhile means of trading?

Is Spread Betting a worthwhile means of trading?

• Yes

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other comment (please add a comment to the thread)

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why are you all seeking to avoid tax? I for one am happy to contribute to the legacy of debt bequeathed to us by Gordon Brown, as he spent the money wisely.

Im sure he spent his money wisely, he did not spend 'our' money wisely....

Isn't it amazing how he has just disappeared off the face of the earth - there is nothing in the press about him?

Good riddance some might say, but it's still a bit curious.

Earning 100,000 pct return in a few years is "not that hard"? Sure..

you cant think of it in percent returns..

its much easier to turn £100 in 100k than it is say to turn 1k into 1million, over the same timeframe.

this is because

1) the spread bet firm will get in the way at some point.
2) your own psychology regarding bet sizing might hinder you.

then there is the issue of your edge over the spread bet firm.. you need a system that almost prints money :D

I don't disagree with that scaling issue. What I would take issue with is suggesting that this type of return is commonplace or "not that hard" when it is anything but. Do you seriously know of anyone who turned £100 into £100k in a few years without ever replenishing their account?

I think that suggesting this type of return can be attained is dangerous, as it encourages excessive risk taking and a far higher rate of burnout than is necessary.

Well, maybe it's ideal if you are a spreadbet firm, but not if you are the zero'd punter.

Purely anecdotal, but I've had no problems with IG at all.

This is however longish TFs (mostly daily and 4hr, occasional 1hr), trades tend to last a few hours to a couple of days, very occasionally longer, and I almost always enter and exit via my orders being picked up, I very rarely close (and never open) manually.

Also, this is small scale stuff - a few pounds per pip at most.

Might change if I get bigger, but so far so good.

Isn't it amazing how he has just disappeared off the face of the earth - there is nothing in the press about him?

He's probably preparing speeches.

Read somewhere he can command around 100 grand per speech.

He's probably preparing speeches.

Read somewhere he can command around 100 grand per speech.

Who the fck would pay £100k to hear Brown speak? I think David Laws should make it on of his jobs to completely discredit Brown and bring his extreme profligacy to light.

Good riddance some might say, but it's still a bit curious.

Same happened with Hague when he stepped down. He just vanished for a while too. Which was a shame because he was good.

Purely anecdotal, but I've had no problems with IG at all.

This is however longish TFs (mostly daily and 4hr, occasional 1hr), trades tend to last a few hours to a couple of days, very occasionally longer, and I almost always enter and exit via my orders being picked up, I very rarely close (and never open) manually.

Also, this is small scale stuff - a few pounds per pip at most.

Might change if I get bigger, but so far so good.

I have no complaints with IG either. On occasion when my stop is very close, I'll watch how price action changes and bid/ask fluctuate, but I haven't really seen any evidence of foul play.

In fact, on one occasion I was filled on a GBP/USD limit order 28 pips BETTER than the rate I left in the machine (this was the Monday when it gapped higher along with EUR/USD). Now, you wouldn't expect that from a bucketshop would you?

Same happened with Hague when he stepped down. He just vanished for a while too. Which was a shame because he was good.

Lucky for us Hague is back. Appearance definitely plays a part in politics - if Hague didn't sound like a robot (and look like an alien), he would have a better chance of being elected.

Neil Kinnock didn't score his open goal in 1992 because he was ginger. Sad but true.

I always felt nauseous when I saw Brown on TV. It was the fact that every single thing he said was a lie that did it for me, I'm afraid.

E.g. "Tory plans to abolish our increase in National Insurance will take £6bio out of the economy".

Uh huh, so therefore raising taxes is putting money INTO the economy? Why not make all tax 100 pct to add even more money to the economy? The fcked up thing was, he actually BELIEVED what he said. That's why he was so dangerous.

The reason these guys command such healthy fees, is because they relay the sort of information that justifies it!
They're not as stupid as you're led to believe,...go figure

No, they're not stupid. They've entered politics in order to enrich themselves, and Blair has succeeded very well at that, firstly by currying favour with wealthy businessmen/other politicians whilst in power, and now cashing in on his chips. It's a capitalist economy, one's only thought should be personal profit maximisation.

David Laws seems like an impressive chap, ex of BZW and JPMorgan. It's as though the children were running the tuckshop and now the adults have arrived to impose order.