Intraday Trading the Forex market to make consistent profit

I have noticed more this last year or so - more new or intermediate traders working off the weekly and monthly charts to trade FX

Why - I don't know ?

Its fine to see the "big picture" and the "world map" - but traders give the game away right away when they trade with no stops or stops over 150 or even 200 pips - looking for 500 - 1000 pip targets.

For a start you are just kidding yourself - a 500 pip result sound good and a RR of 3 is good - but if it takes a week or two to achieve it and its only on pennies - then its hardly efficient and not going to help you make your millions.

Instead - learn to read PA at the "coalface"

Learn to reduce your stops down to as low as possible - under 15 pips really is a prerequisite - under 7 pips is needed and then ideally when spreads are under 1 pip - you need stops of only 3 or 4 pips.

Yes its all down to timing and experience etc - but its means when you get a 10 or 15 pips move in 10 minutes - you could have made as much money as the longer term swing trade with his 500 pips - but have done it in 15 mins rather than 5 or 15 days.

OK - its not as easy - it takes more time to learn and carry out etc - but why do you want to wait 4 hrs or a few days to find out you were wrong - when you can know in 5 -10 mins and move on?

With regards to trading without hard stops - i suppose you could say I do it as I scalp with soft stops and rely on one click to get me out - but normally I will have a hard stop as an emergency - last resort - well place out of my scalping range - and 99% of the time not needed.

But some traders - even a well know private hedge fund trader on another well know forum trades with no stops - and does not always hedge

This as resulted in him having to wait over 6 months and up to 2 yrs for some of his bad trades to come back into profits - hardly great trading - and of course it means he has to use very low stake sizes %'s - ie like just 0.1% or lower rather than 1 or 2% . That means when he does win - his wins are just not that large - due to the fact his stake size % is so small.

OK if you are managing $10 million plus - but for 95% retail traders on under $100k Capital you want your 0 5 to 3% stake size of capital - to get your 10 -25% per month ROC - rather than just 2 -5% per month.

I am sure so many new and intermediate traders just do not understand this - they opt for the easier way and will end up with below average results - that's even if the do make money - because many might need a year or two to find out really - they have not really gone anywhere - ie - they have won $15K and lost 14 k and just made $1k for all their work and effort.

All questions on these matter welcome

Regards

F

I have noticed more this last year or so - more new or intermediate traders working off the weekly and monthly charts to trade FX

Why - I don't know ?

Its fine to see the "big picture" and the "world map" - but traders give the game away right away when they trade with no stops or stops over 150 or even 200 pips - looking for 500 - 1000 pip targets.

For a start you are just kidding yourself - a 500 pip result sound good and a RR of 3 is good - but if it takes a week or two to achieve it and its only on pennies - then its hardly efficient and not going to help you make your millions.

Regards

F

preaching to the converted F...........sure trading LT is (allegedly) safer as a strategy and the patterns (allegedly) have higher profitability % than scalping etc etc ........

but my argument is that sitting watching something move for 1-2 weeks exposes you to a whole world of events that you cannot control ........including weekends :eek:

short term for me ...no matter how much hard work it is :smart:

N

PS - sure you can perhaps use these trends/moves to support shorter TF trading/bias........but that's about it

Last edited:
Clear as day F. Short term is the way forward. As NVP says your open to a world of issues when the trade is running for weeks. I love to scalp, its a skill which i'm still learning but it keeps me focused all the time. F's other thread has been a real eye opener and is a must for people wanting to learn the skill of scalping.

Sorry - not quite following you here ?

11 50 am was the low at 2911 /12 area and 11 51 am at 13 / 14 / 15 all perfect buys with every clue you needed ??

The fact that was a new low for start of TW was great ;-)

See my chart

179080d1410456800-intraday-live-short-term-trading-calls-expert-retail-forex-trader-eu-11914-tw.jpg

EU at 11 51 am

Hi MM

When I check that time out again - I would rate it as one of the best scalp buy opportunities I have seen for a long time

It was a real AAA+++ scalp buy

Right up to 11 50 am - it was a sell

one minute later - it was the start of the buy - then confirmed within a few mins - by trendline - time LR's - PA - support area - etc etc etc

At 11 41 am to 11 50 am - it was not a buy - it was still a sell

But from 11 51 am - onwards for 2 hrs - it was a buy . This trade never went under entry from 11 51 - say 10 seconds - so what a 2 pip stop and on 25 or 35 pip move - easy a RR of 10+

That is like the "doggies bolloxies" of intraday trading - although really 2 hrs is too long - should have been ideally done in 30 mins or 60 mins

Please any queries - from not just MM - but any scalper etc - would love to hear etc and happy to explain in more detail if need be

Regards

F

OK this occurs to me.
that 11:50 entry would have caught many short. As you say, it was a short up until the very moment.
so extrapolating that: Can we assume that clear and east entries are offered deliberately to get people n in the wrong direction, and the harder entries are the ones we should hold full stakes?

I have bought these questions over from the other thread tonight - so that we can do more of a case study on them

With regards to MM's last question

When you trade the FX markets - really you dont want to assume anything with certainty

You might have something work 1 month - 18 times in a row - and you think this is it -every time this set up happens - I can 95% take for granted the result will be this

Then the next 3 months - the same thing happens 50 times - but it only works on 15 occasions - hardly 90% etc

its all down to probabilities and being aware no 2 situations are identical - thats why nothing works 100% - all the time,

We all know the markets are manipulated at times by the liquidity providers and the market makers - and they will use every trick in the book to catch you out

This can work in your favour - simply because they leave clues - that 90% of traders - even commercial ones are just not aware of.

I have clocked them simply because I have taken over 15000 live trades over last 7 years plus at the "coalface" ie on tick and one min charts - and have easily done well over my 10000 hrs of watching and trading charts with live money. ( started FX trading over 12 /13 yrs ago this year )

So - I have ended up like the "trick mono cyclist who can also juggle with 12 balls in the air"

No way can you do that without years of practice and dedication.

This trade at 11 51 pm today on the EU at 2912 area - that lasted 2 hrs and made a move up of approx 40 pips is like a AAA+++ TRADE

It ticked all the boxes I use to make trading decisions - even the gameplay ones ;-)

Regards

F

Last edited:
Welcome back F, hope you enjoyed your time off.

Hi TRO

Yes got a couple of breaks in during July and August and enjoyed some sailing

Been back for a couple of weeks - I hope you have enjoyed your summer vacation and are well.

September seems to have started extremely well with some great price moves going on - so different to the slow summer we witnessed ;)

Good Trading and catch up with the updates again soon

Regards

F

What summer vacation? I have been working around the ranch...LOL!

Though did go camping one weekend last month.

Readers of this thread will have heard of one phrase I tend to use a lot - ie

The devil is in the detail

You will only find that 'devil' - ie false sentiment play - wrong or start of a new wave direction at certain times and at certain prices and they make perfect scalp entries that can also end up being even 50 or 150 or even a 1000+ pip move.

Surely that time when it happens at a certain price level is so import ant to capture ?

If you say yes - then make sure you drill down to the tick chart or the one minute frame - is 11 39am means nothing on the one hour or four hour chart - you will even be too late on a five minutes chart - it might cost you even 3 or 5 pips and that's lost money if you are scalping on multi lot size - you could even have say 30% of your stake already locked in profit before other traders have even seen the new trade opportunity

To do this takes time experience and loads of practice - is thousands of hours watching and learning from a tick or one minute chart.

By doing this you have new edge - something that maybe 85% of all others traders cannot do at your level

That is then one extra reason why you will succeed :)

Regards

F

This was the comment below the one Tar picked out addressed from Major Magnum to Tar.

What I can see and think is that Tar has got 95% of all his facts WRONG and mixed up

From what I can remember from reading many comments over the last 2 years on this forum - Tar is a "trouble causer" and a very negative member who has been described by another experienced Forex Scalper ( Dow Jones ) as a complete idiot :-0

Forexmospherian ( this particular one ) was part of the Forexmosphere groups at Fx street in 2012/3 - and when the group all disappeared from the Forum - He along with approx 20/30 other experienced Forexmospherian's ( in the group ) were asked to leave and I believe this was due to one other out spoken member of the group who was continually arguing with the so called "guru"s at FX Street - ie Chris Capre - Dr Silvraman - Brian Twomay etc.

With Forexmospherian being the 2013 winner of best Retail Forex Trader contributor he was invited to stay on as an independent retail trader - but left with the group.

I am sure he has explained this many times somewhere - he does repeat himself I know - mainly for the benefit of members who need to read things 4 or 5 times for it it to sink it - with Tar maybe he just does not understand as he is not from the UK

There is no two ways about it - Forexmospherian has great retail scalping talent and from what I understand its his own work - ie 9 min time windows / multi linear regressions TA / and years of scalping.

Tar is probably the last of the "dinosaurs" members - the ones who really do think that prop / Institutional trading is the blueprint for successful retail trading.

I personally think any of the Forexmospherian group could easily out trade any group of ex commercial / Institutional traders in Forex trading.

They don't charge for their time and help - because they know it's 1 to 3 yrs of learning their ways - and Forexmospherian clearly explains that many times in his comments

Personally, i also think its typical of a weasel ( or in Tar's case is name in reverse ) to make bad comments on a popular thread - when he knows the person he is addressing cannot respond as he is away on holiday.

Still he's the loser.......

Sorry SD

I have only one other nic - davies - and I never used it after I lost the password - although my brother in law had used it when i was on holiday once

:idea:

Last edited:
i tried naked price reading for about 6 months

Could not get the accuracy for entries on sweet spot scalps within 1- 3 pips I need

Time windows assist me a lot - and would agree most indicators are not that helpful on any standard settings

But when you play with them and place them on 10 second or 1 min charts that are on minimum lag - then they are a help

My Lrs on a tick chart are super - far better than any MA's etc - and I could out read any naked chartist most of the time - not just by PA but by price structure given from the LR set up

I do reckon I have ever read or heard anyone ever say that - even Lance Beggs and Al Brooks would gain more off my set up

To me - simple systems are never the best

They normally give simple results

This is a very complex and dynamic market - and if simple works why do 90% of traders never get to make consistent gains - on going - and I don't mean just 30% per annum - for retailers that just a failure - for commercial institutions with 100's of mill - yes then 30% per annum is a great success

Just my own view - and would love someone to really prove me wrong

Regards

F

Hey f
just going thru the notes........didn't know that you had read lances work ?

He and I exchanged a lot of correspondence a while back

A real Nice guy (y)
N

Hey F... you are being quiet on this thread... everything ok?

Hi TRO

I am well and all is OK for now

I think I have covered maybe 85% of all key points on this thread now - yes could go onto other important areas in more detail - like money management and focus / disciplines / Mindset / etc etc - but have concentrated more on the live thread -as only a few weeks away from the full 12 months / One Year

Hope you are well and busy for the last quarter of the year

Lets hope it's busy

Good Trading

F

Hey f
just going thru the notes........didn't know that you had read lances work ?

He and I exchanged a lot of correspondence a while back

A real Nice guy (y)
N

Yes - both Lance and AL - but had no correspondence with them as it was during my earlier progression years

For me now though = Price Action alone is not enough in isolation.

Would love to understand more about liquidity providers along with the larger influence of HFT and Bank super bots.

I am sure there are so many more levels still be discovered in this ever evolving world's largest money market.

I really have been fairly static on development last 2 -3 yrs - need to delve deeper now - thats maybe a project over next 6 months

Meanwhile - I love the challenge of seeing if we can take you to a new intraday level

Regards

F

Readers of this thread will have heard of one phrase I tend to use a lot - ie

The devil is in the detail

You will only find that 'devil' - ie false sentiment play - wrong or start of a new wave direction at certain times and at certain prices and they make perfect scalp entries that can also end up being even 50 or 150 or even a 1000+ pip move.

Surely that time when it happens at a certain price level is so import ant to capture ?

If you say yes - then make sure you drill down to the tick chart or the one minute frame - is 11 39am means nothing on the one hour or four hour chart - you will even be too late on a five minutes chart - it might cost you even 3 or 5 pips and that's lost money if you are scalping on multi lot size - you could even have say 30% of your stake already locked in profit before other traders have even seen the new trade opportunity

To do this takes time experience and loads of practice - is thousands of hours watching and learning from a tick or one minute chart.

By doing this you have new edge - something that maybe 85% of all others traders cannot do at your level

That is then one extra reason why you will succeed :)

Regards

F

gr8 post.
I wonder if anyone else noticed the sentence in it that i see as one of the most important and informative ever posted on this forum (imo)

Reactions: NVP
gr8 post.
I wonder if anyone else noticed the sentence in it that i see as one of the most important and informative ever posted on this forum (imo)

I disagree . I think thats the most informative post .lol !

"a trend to me is any move over 3 pips " Forexmospherian

Last edited:
I will get closer to F's turning points next week ................within 5 pips is my aim !!!!!

N

I disagree . I think thats the most informative post .lol !

"a trend to me is any move over 3 pips " Forexmospherian

That is very informative, I must agree. It tells me that F may be a great trader, but his method is too hairy for me, especially at my age!