Index Spread Betting

JUST CLOSED DOW long for +105

hw07-
I don't use any kind of software. It is just years of trading experience in stock market.
As you know last 4-6 weeks have been very volatile. I haven't seen this kind of volatility in my trading experience. If you put a tight stop/loss within very short time you a fill. Normally I trade with a gearing of 4-5 times but not in these conditions. Most common mistake in spreadbetting is over-trading. I therefore have been trading here on just 2 times gearing reducing a forced sale position or margin call.

Talking about volitility......within last few minutes DOW jumped over 60 points more as crude dropped over 600 points.

long RR. at 319p, £10/point. (i was thinking of RBS at 164p but too risky)
still open PRU.

pot value (excluding losses in pru.,- £400 at the moment) £5925

Last edited:
WOW...what a come back, pru is trading at 498.5p, up over 20p from its lowest of the day as crude is falling, helping dow/ft and all other indices.

keeping an eye on it and might close it for a small loss.

I missed one the best trading day of last few weeks.
waiting for it to settle down.
dow at 11300, ft at 5257 and dax at 6295.

nearly 4 weeks since i started this thread (most volatile weeks i can remember) and all the time index was going down, up 17% in 4 weeks.
could and should have been better but happy with it.

edit-
i can't put this in a header but here is a warning

This is not an investment or trading recommendation. The losses in trading can be very real, and depending on the investment vehicle, can exceed your initial investment. I am not a licensed trading or investment adviser, or financial ...

Last edited: