How to get a job in the states

sak07

Hi, Im currently working as a junior fixed income portfolio manager in London for a leading asset management house and i'm very keen on moving to the states iwithin the next two years. I have experience of Credit, Rates, Cash corporates, Govies and futures and have also worked in trade support at my previous employer - a leading US investment Bank. Now my current employer does have an operation and some PM's in NY however it is very small and oppurtunities arise once in a blue moon. Im therefore curious what is the best way to try and obtain work in the states? Should i just start applying for roles that I see and paying my own air fair for interviews in the hope they will sponsor me - or is that just not going to happen ? I'd love to hear your advice. The reason i want to move is beacuse i've fallen in love with an american girl :D. Her vise ran out a few monts ago and she had to go back home, the flights back and forward are costing both us a fortune so im looking at other oppurtunities. Look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks

How to get the girl in the states!

Option1. The NY office

option 2. marriage ?

option3. international recruiters ?

Also whats important for both of you, in terms of your relationship? i think a lot depends on how you both see your futures together? But if your saying you have to follow this girl to the end of the world, and she likes that idea. You have to do what you have to do for both your sakes.

You mention within the next 2 years, so I assume this girl wants long term commitment ?
Would you downgrade work(temp.) in order to be together? If yes then that NY office (dunno what PM's are mind, portfolio managers?) seems a route worth tapping into to get you there.

We have all seen the movies, when some people choose work before the people they love, and we all feel deflated.... yet when 2 people take risks in order to have a shot of being together, we all cheer, and feel the tears well up !

Ohh have you told this american girl how you feel with all this ? What does she say... ?

Right well if you both love each other, then between the pair of you , you need to make it happen. That may mean one of you has to make a greater sacrifice(initially) than the other for that to happen. No problem as thats what love is ?

My flippant answer to anybody who talks to me about relocating to the USA is always "marry an American".
This is because I'm currently working towards visa status for myself and my partner with a goal timeframe of 6 years, and it ain't easy ....... unless you marry an American!!

You would need to check your visa status first because, if your status is "no go" for any reason, then you won't be working or living there more than 90 days at a time. Period. No matter how badly any prospective employer wants you out there.

It's a legal minefield so do your due diligence and good luck!

My flippant answer to anybody who talks to me about relocating to the USA is always "marry an American".
This is because I'm currently working towards visa status for myself and my partner with a goal timeframe of 6 years, and it ain't easy ....... unless you marry an American!!

You would need to check your visa status first because, if your status is "no go" for any reason, then you won't be working or living there more than 90 days at a time. Period. No matter how badly any prospective employer wants you out there.

It's a legal minefield so do your due diligence and good luck!

I'd qualify for an EB-2 visa, maaaaybe EB-1, and I'm thinking marriage is going to be easier (moving for someone, but again not really wanting to marry right now). 1-2 year wait on getting a visa, not to mention trying to job hunt from a different continent...

Heres my two cents worth......

Trying to get work in the US is probably a non-starter im afraid, the company needs to apply for the relevant work visa in April which means you can start in Nov at the earliest, this is a lottery as well with last years (2007 issue) 150k being snapped up on the first day of issue, thats it for another year (this april), so as you can tell this isnt really attractive for any potential employer.

The other way around this work wise is that your company files an L1 visa for you to transfer to the US office, you have to fufil certain obligations for this vsa as well, main one being that you are in a manager position and have worked at the same company in this capacity for minimum one year.

Third way of doing this is to actually plan to get married and file (along with your spouse) a fiancee visa, this takes roughly 6 months and after everything is ticked off you get 3 months to marry.

You can get your working rights however there is a wait after this until your other documentation is completed and you can begin to put your skills to use at an employer so may I suggest you take up golf while this is being done.

There are a multitude of sites out there that can give you information,timelines etc etc on the fiancee visa route if you decide to go down that path.

All in all your lookng at quite a wait, good luck though fella.

Cheers

Third way of doing this is to actually plan to get married and file (along with your spouse) a fiancee visa, this takes roughly 6 months and after everything is ticked off you get 3 months to marry.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion I am going to have to sit down with her and go "Look, I'm picking up my entire life and moving it to another continent for you. While it's a little rushed... marry me?" and see how it goes. Except probably with a lot better writing than I managed there :LOL:

Beyond that, H1-B visas are apparently uncapped for colleges, and as I'm already working in academia that's another possible route.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion I am going to have to sit down with her and go "Look, I'm picking up my entire life and moving it to another continent for you. While it's a little rushed... marry me?" and see how it goes. Except probably with a lot better writing than I managed there :LOL:

Beyond that, H1-B visas are apparently uncapped for colleges, and as I'm already working in academia that's another possible route.

There has to be scope for a scam here. Get instant hitched to American girl in Vegas or Reno etc. Get dual passport. Get instant divorce 3 mths later. Can divorced foreign nationals remain in USA on previous married status?

On second thoughts I think I'll stick to the simple life :LOL:

There has to be scope for a scam here. Get instant hitched to American girl in Vegas or Reno etc. Get dual passport. Get instant divorce 3 mths later. Can divorced foreign nationals remain in USA on previous married status?

I've heard of a case where someone is being threatened with deportation because their husband died. Divorcees would almost certainly be deported ASAP.

Hi, Im currently working as a junior fixed income portfolio manager in London for a leading asset management house and i'm very keen on moving to the states iwithin the next two years. I have experience of Credit, Rates, Cash corporates, Govies and futures and have also worked in trade support at my previous employer - a leading US investment Bank. Now my current employer does have an operation and some PM's in NY however it is very small and oppurtunities arise once in a blue moon. Im therefore curious what is the best way to try and obtain work in the states? Should i just start applying for roles that I see and paying my own air fair for interviews in the hope they will sponsor me - or is that just not going to happen ? I'd love to hear your advice. The reason i want to move is beacuse i've fallen in love with an american girl :D. Her vise ran out a few monts ago and she had to go back home, the flights back and forward are costing both us a fortune so im looking at other oppurtunities. Look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks

Follow you Heart

Oh, and dual passports are incredibly tricky to get, because you need to actually be a US citizen. That means several years (can't remember how many) as a permanent resident, citizenship tests, enough paperwork to give Greenpeace a nervous breakdown and the chance your first country might object. Simply living/working in the US is based on a visa, which is much much less involved.

Which is saying something, really.

Interesting thread. I am thinking of moving to the UK (but from AUS), what requirements do you need to trade in the UK?