Current Global Economic State/Outlook

Nowler

Experienced member
So what's everyone's opinion on the current state of the global economy?
And why?

Would you be more long on equities?
Or have you been reducing your exposure to them in anticipation of a downturn?
Maybe you see a period of expansion on the cards?

Very interested to hear your point of view of the current global economic picture.

Personally, I have reduced my exposure to equities for the time being.
I could very well be a bit premature (leaving some money on the table), but I do not know enough to be overly accurate in timing a recessionary period.

My basis is general... we live beyond our means, and then we pay it back (or at least we go through a period of paying some of it back). We have had a record run this cycle, and as the word suggests, ups are followed by downs. The slowdown in manufacturing has me uneasy about being too exposed to stocks, for the time being, my money sits mainly in AA+ bonds

Really, what I'd love is for someone to disagree with me, and provide a logical reason for the contrary.

Growth is my aphrodisiac

The China/USA trade war should be a boom time for other countries if they can fill the gaps. but overall economic activity must be down.

What I like for trading the Dow is a strong US economy, a hung US government that can't do much to damage this, and a US president who keeps tweeting stuff that triggers pull-backs. Happy days.

Whether this is good long-term I have no idea.

Just as a matter of interest I expect you may know what Brexit is doing to countries such as Ireland ?
It is said that many UK companies have re-located.

Just as a matter of interest I expect you may know what Brexit is doing to countries such as Ireland ?
no relocated but setting up small subsidiaries

I dont really know much to be honest.
I realize that UK companies would be inconvenienced by leaving the EU, and would therefore strongly consider setting up a foothold there (perhaps as FXX has just said).

Ireland is obviously an attractive place to register a business due to the tax advantages, but I wouldn't posses the acumen to understand the exact economic effects that will have for the EUR should the UK actually pull the trigger. I can tell it would be positive for the EUR, but to what degree..? Would UK businesses setting up subsidiaries in Ireland/EU be enough to steady a ship struggling to stay afloat?

I would probably bet that the EUR would struggle more than the USD in the next downturn, and also struggle more than the GBP.
(Bigger ships take longer to turn around - GBP/EUR)

If financial crashes come around every 10 years or so then we are due one pretty soon. Brexit may trigger it.

If financial crashes come around every 10 years or so then we are due one pretty soon. Brexit may trigger it.

Depends on your definition of "trigger" I suppose.

I would argue that the trigger is likely to have already happened.
Economies expand and contract... and people seek pleasure and avoid pain.

If we lived within our means, that is, to spend inside the lines of GDP, then we wouldn't have the modern day economic cycle. We would spend no more than what we have, and therefore have no debt to pay back (economic deleveraging). But we do spend beyond our means, and eventually the economic expansion is no longer sustainable, and growth slows down. Eventually turning into a contraction/recession, which in turn eventually slows down, and eventually turning around the other way. Rinse and repeat.

The whole world is slowing down, as per the data. The US is slowing down, and they are using "not QE" to give the impression that the economy is doing better than it is. Look at the FEDs balance sheet. It's been increasing again. Their Indices are being propped up by the FED. Trump has also been good for stocks. I wonder if the collapse can last until the end of his term... or whether it will change its trajectory inside the next 4 months...

Brexit and the trade war, particularly at such a late stage in the cycle has massive potential to push us into a downward motion. Particularly the Trade War. Obviously not all economies are in the exact same state, so various factors will affect some in different ways, or in more immediate ways.

I wouldn't have a fine graps on things, so i'd be hesitant to make micro claims. But speaking in a Macro sense, I think the writing has been on the wall for the past few months.

Last edited:
The Iran/USA problem has raised the price of oil. Trump seems to have calmed down after the rocket attacks so all may return to normal.

The Iran/USA problem has raised the price of oil. Trump seems to have calmed down after the rocket attacks so all may return to normal.

Iran seem to have shot to miss. Which would indicate that there were merely trying to save face. This in turn suggests it wouldnt escalate any further, unless for some reason Trump got the hump over it and hit back...

The initial murdering of the Iranian was out of order as it was, so if they were that arrogant to do that, then the fact that no US personnel being hurt where the missiles hit might not matter... and he retaliates.

I've said multiple times that we are far overdue a global scrap. Population is crippling the planet.

I hope it's just me feeling jittery about the coming recession. It is predicted on the back of a dollar and trade collapse.
The argument is that credit world wide has been maxed out.

I hope it's just me feeling jittery about the coming recession. It is predicted on the back of a dollar and trade collapse.
The argument is that credit world wide has been maxed out.

If it's just the contraction phase of the short term debt cycle, then meh...
If it's the contraction phase of the long term debt cycle, then its going to be very interesting!

Surely the latter would result in massive defaults..? Particularly if the trade war spreads..
Maybe this is why negative rate bonds got popular?

I moved my pension into AAA and AA bonds mainly.

Last edited:
PS: That's an interesting video you posted Pat!
Exciting if it's in anyway accurate

Yea.. Agree with it to a certain extent.. But i don't it gonna happen this year. This manufactured bull run still has legs so i'm buying dips in US equities this year. The FED is in a better position most then central banks when it comes to monetary policy.

Here is an extraordinary claim of gold rising to £100.000 per ounce !!
Sounds daft initially but some well known names support this claim.
I will get some of the yella stuff meself. Probably a gold bangle. One can cut the links off one by one when needed.

Before you rush out and buy gold or silver make doubly sure that the bar/coin isn't a fake. There are videos on U-tube to show you how to check. There are loads of fakes even on eBay.