Genuinely thinking about leaving London for a couple of weeks

If you really want to take it to the extremes, start brushing up your CV for a seat on the spaceship they send to the moon, inorder to re-start the human population...

I would have thought it would be better to wait. If you did catch it now you would get VIP treatment. Furthermore it seems that the anti-viral drugs are effective and you might benefit from gaining an immunity now.

If it were to escalate that might be the time to become isolationist. Furthermore at that time many companies might have in place plans for staff to work from home without loss of income.

If it doesn't escalate significantly then you can keep your holiday time for a more enjoyable time when all this blows over - perhaps 2 weeks on the beach at Cancun for example :cool:

Charlton

This, potentially, is a good point.

Fact is in a full blown pandemic the NHS couldn't possibly cope, in terms of respirators etc - there simply aren't the resources.

On the other hand now it would be easy...

of course one other option is that, if you ''access'' to tamiflu you can take it as a prevention (it is said that, it is effective for a preventative reason even if you not ill yet.)

still a 0.5-1% mortality rate. and the world is a different place now..i am seriously unconcerned

edited to add, sorry thats the fatality rate of the world population not the virus. 2.5-5% is the mortality rate for those infected

If the mortality rate is 2.5 to 5% and 40% of the population gets infected (like the professor from Imperial College suggested) we are looking at around a million deaths in the UK alone :cry:

If the mortality rate is 2.5 to 5% and 40% of the population gets infected (like the professor from Imperial College suggested) we are looking at around a million deaths in the UK alone :cry:

hopefully it will be like natural selection and clear out some of the fcking pikeys.

Thinking cap on: This may be a good time to sell some non farm payroll futures calendar spreads - initially extra unemployment as people die and businesses collapse... then full employment as jobs with no one to fill them :D

yeh if you go by the 1918 mortality rates..its a bit like saying if we go to war it will be ww1 all over again. also to add there is a good chance the current flu vaccines will cover it, they are testing at the moment

Asit happens, I used to go drinking with a guy that works in the Civil Service; he was a minister's assistant. I remember him telling me that the G'ment were stacking up on face masks, JUST IN CASE.... not that they did anything to prevent the spread of disease at all, whatsoever, just to calm the masses that they were safer and to make them easier to manage (that is without being irrantional and hysterical).

This is Gods honest truth.

Yup, it's a real bitch for a medical layman like me to work out what exactly is wise because those who do know have vested interests in keeping mum.

But reading between the lines those who do understand the issues are very, very worried. I'm actually thinking of leaving London tomorrow as I don't even know enough to understand how crucial each day is.

Your a big girl really aren't you Dave.

Personally, I'm just watching and seeing who gets it worse, UK or Japan and so can position correctly....

Besides, I'm in Hastings for a couple of weeks... no fcker ever comes here anyhow so I'm safe!

Well, if you're going to act on your convictions, what positions should you leave on?

Only ones that come to mind are the obvious ones; short airlines, long pharmacuticals, long pork bellies Vol., who is it that doesn't eat pork? Well short that basket of nations currency (on a trade weighted basis; no-one wants to trade with the bad guys)? If we go into medical (rather than economical) protectionism, who is likely to do best? France?

F*ck the respirator doctor, JUst reach in me bag and pass
me that bong. Job Done :p

This, potentially, is a good point.

Fact is in a full blown pandemic the NHS couldn't possibly cope, in terms of respirators etc - there simply aren't the resources.

On the other hand now it would be easy...

Do it! You have piles of savings and you can make plenty of cash spread betting..... Go for it man! Have yourself a holiday. You gotta spend some of those millions! Where are you looking at going? Mind you, you'll have to go to an airport and there will have most likely been some Mexicans there!

of 159 "suspected cases" Mexico only has 5 "confirmed" fatalities due to Swine Flu.

More people have probably died from panic than the thing itself.

It's just a media hype. remmber the meningitis scare years ago ? meningitis is with us all the time, the number of cases remains fairly constant. It was obvioulsy a slow week and/or a journo trying to make a name for himself.

So far, the reaction to this latest "pandemic" is overkill.

And it doesn't matter if i'm wrong, 'cos we'll all be dead :)

Go to the country?

a bloke down the pub reckons all you need to do is sacrifice a chicken and drink the blood. Plenty big magic voodoo apparently.

Where's the blitz spirit? A good ole sing song will see us through.

Or one could divert ones mind with a spreadbet on how many will get it?

actually moving out isn't that daft in an epidemic as many saved themselves that way in the black death except for those who unwittingly moved to a contagion area.

i'm sure blackadder would have a cunning plan.