FX Cowboy Breakout and Retracement Journal

Having cleared the decks of work and other distractors for a few days, I'll be putting in some solid time on my testing (and my journal).

I don't really go in much for soul-baring, but I do want to identify some of the problems I'm trying to overcome in working on this journal and trading plan, mainly for the benefit of others who may encounter similar problems when they begin (or continue) working on their own trading plans.

First, I'm beginning to realize that, for me, the greatest obstacle to becoming a competent trader is answering the siren song of the market itself. I have too often succumbed to the thought that I was ready to trade (especially when I first began trading and was least ready to trade), or that I wanted or needed the rewards of trading NOW and didn't have time to work on a trading plan. I felt I couldn't afford to take time off from trading to learn more about what I was trying to do. I would suggest that, if and when a trader starts trading profitability, this desire to trade at the expense of attaining (greater) competence becomes even stronger. If you're having trouble getting yourself to stop trading and put together a trading plan, then you are not alone.

Second, I'm trying to internalize another way of looking at price action (which, simply put, is attempting to understand how price action reflects trader sentiment). This adds a new facet to what I've already been observing. It seems every time I encounter new information, it takes me awhile to really process it. I want to incorporate this idea into my testing and trading plan, but I'm not quite sure yet how to go about it. So, I've been delaying.

Third, putting together a trading plan requires effort, and to some extent I've been shying away from the work involved in this process. It's always easier to remain at one's current level of (in)competence, especially if nothing is really forcing one to go to the effort of improving.

I do believe in the value of this process, however, and I remain convinced of the benefits of trading with a solid, probability-based plan. So I'm back to work.

We will now continue with our regularly scheduled program...

3/8/2006
The only report worth noting is ICSC-UBS Store Sales at 7:45, which does not usually have a big impact on this market (although you never know).

(1) As the day opens, I'm thinking that the pink line is a minor S/R level within the trading range delineated by the two blue lines (I've adjusted where I think S/R are since the last chart). However, price has started making HL's and HH's. There was a potential entry (circled) around midnight (BO through the pink line, followed by retrace), which I didn't take for the reasons noted on the chart. If price is able to break through the red supply line and regain its footing above the pink S/R line, I would take a long entry signal at that point. The rationale here would be that a RET to the pink S/R level followed by another thrust upwards would be a strong sign for buyers.

(2) Either I don't understand how my charting program performs playback, or else it's a bit buggy. As I start the replay, there's a 15 minute gap, during which time price has jumped to the top of the range (top blue line). Price then heads back down toward the pink S/R line and then jumps back up (note the gap between close of the 1:30 bar and the open of the 1:35 bar). This looks like an entry signal to me, although it's aggressive because I'm not waiting for the BO through the top (blue) channel level.

(3) This is the point where I would normally have considered entry. It's "safer" in the sense that price has now BO with volume through what I thought was the top of the range, but it's 10 pips above the entry described in (2). I've drawn in a Stage 2 TL at this point.

(4) At this point, the second entry would be SO, after a MFE of 33 pips. Price has retraced to the top of the previous range, tested it, and headed upward again. There is a valid entry on the next to last bar which I've circled, and which would have been a successful entry. The first entry would still be active at this point, after a MFE of 43 pips. A new range seems to have developed here: the bottom of the range is the top of the previous range, while the top is a bit undetermined (in my mind), though it could be the red SL I've drawn in. In any case, a RET at this point that held above the bottom of this new range could be another valid entry point.

(5) Another potential entry point. After the fact, I see that the entry would have been successful, but would have been SO quickly.

(6) I've noted 3 more potential entries, 2 of which would have been successful. The last would not -- again, an entry far above the S/R level. It is unlikely I would have taken any of these last trades, as I do not normally trade at this time of day.

Two trades, including the first made during the day and the first one mentioned in (4), were never stopped out. The first had a MFE of 53 pips, and the second a MFE of 46 pips. All four of the entries made during the hours I trade would have been successful. Three of the four other potential entries would also have been successful. This was a low volatility day, with the daily range just over half of the long term average for this currency pair.

Attachments

• posting038.jpg
    posting038.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 309
  • posting039.jpg
    posting039.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 276
  • posting040.jpg
    posting040.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 287
  • posting041.jpg
    posting041.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 298
  • posting042.jpg
    posting042.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 267
  • posting043.jpg
    posting043.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 265
3/9/2006
Reports today: Petroleum stats @ 10:00, Beige book @ 2:00. Either of these could have an effect on this currency pair, although usually there is not a big reaction.

(1) As the day opens, I notice that I hadn't drawn in an important S/R level. Had I done so, I would not have even considered two of the last three potential entries the previous day (which, as I wrote in my previous post, I would likely not have taken anyway), and the third would have been structured differently. Price has just tested the top of the range and has returned back to the range with two bozo's (and I know from the previous playback file that a third is to come). The current range, as I see it, falls between the levels marked by the blue lines.

(2) Price finds support at an important S/R level within the range at a point that coincides with the Stage 1 TL. Price then rises through the top of the range (blue line) on increasing but moderate volume, and then retraces back to the top of the range. I would expect true BO volume if price penetrates the high of the day (HOD, the red line), but I would take an entry signal at this approximate level.

(3) The period from (2) to (3) is quite an interesting study in changing momentum. I would not have been surprised to see a BO at (2). Instead price breaks back down into the range only to get caught up in a wedge. The initial impulse out of the wedge is downward, but this turns out to be nothing more than a quick head fake, and price heads toward the top of the range, where a series of quick reversals in direction ensues. This resolves downward, and though buyers are active all the way down, price finally breaks through the TL. As price BO's through the various support levels in the range, it appears as if sellers have won the battle.

Then comes the 8:30 bar. I cannot account for why this bar formed in this way at this time. There were no reports issued that day at that time, but this appears to be a turning point. Price initialy BO down through the bottom of the range and to the PDL on relatively low volume, and then proceeded to race up and down a range of 20 pips or so at least 7 or 8 times, hammering the PDL. Finally buyers manage to wrench price higher, back through the bottom of the range and toward the upper middle of the range. To me, this appears to be a SC. It's now 8:40 in the morning, and I've had no entry signals so far. Perhaps this will set up an entry.

(4) By closing, there is still no entry. A potential entry shows up at 6:30 p.m., but I pass for the reasons noted on the chart. (After the fact, I see the entry would have been successful, and would SO after a MFE of 15 pips.)

(5) An interesting day, which ends without another entry signal. Again, the daily range was only just over half the long term average.

Attachments

• posting048.jpg
    posting048.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 269
  • posting047.jpg
    posting047.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 250
  • posting046.jpg
    posting046.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 248
  • posting045.jpg
    posting045.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 278
  • posting044.jpg
    posting044.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 272
3/10/2006
Reports today are NFP at 8:30; Wholesale Trade at 10:00. NFP can move this market; wholesale trade usually will not.

(1) Price has just risen back into what I had considered the trading range for most of the previous day (through the dotted blue line). We've had two consecutive days of low volatility, mostly range-bound trading. I've marked the upper and lower levels of the current range as I see it. (Although, the PDH and PDL are so close to range boundaries that any successful BO will likely have to break through one of those levels as well.)

I've also circled a potential entry, which I didn't really didn't see in time, so I'll merely note that it's there and that it would have been a successful entry. Otherwise, as I start the playback, I'm looking for BO's from the range (or possibly formations that develop within the range).

(2) As we approach the NFP, price is caught in a very narrow range within the larger range. Trading activity is lighter than usual for this time of morning, but in the final moments before the report, volume picks up considerably.

(3) After the NFP report, there are a couple of potential entry points inside the range. One is a BO/RET from the narrow range that formed in the hours before the NFP. The other is a BO/RET through what on the previous day I would have considered to be the bottom of the range. I decided not to take either because they were within the larger daily range, during a period when price is extremely volatile (several of those bars are over 20 pips wide), and I thought the entries were risky. Now I'm wondering whether I'm not being too picky (since both would have been successful entries). There is another, very shallow RET at the bottom of the chart which I'll also let pass. The difference between the low of the RET bar and the low of the previous bar is only 2 pips. I would rather wait for a RET to the PDL, if one develops.

(4) Having passed on several entries that would have been successful, I decide to take this RET entry.

(5) This entry is also successful, but price moves back above the PDL, which is now the level I would look to for resistance on any new RET setups. By about 11:50, price seems caught between the PDL and the level marked by the blue line. By 1:00 or so, price is back in the daily range on a shallow ascent. By the end of the day, price is back in the middle of the range.

Attachments

• posting053.jpg
    posting053.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 264
  • posting052.jpg
    posting052.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 248
  • posting051.jpg
    posting051.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 241
  • posting050.jpg
    posting050.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 252
  • posting049.jpg
    posting049.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 250
Some quick notes on the first few days of testing:

-- The last 3 days tested showed very low volatility -- each day the range was less than 70 pips, compared to a long-term average of around 120 pips for this pair. Furthermore, the entire period has been somewhat range-bound. Not the best environment to be testing a BO/RET strategy.

-- Nevertheless, there have been entries, and the vast majority of them have been successful -- so far.

-- From a Steenbarger "brief therapy" point of view, it would be useful to immerse myself intensively in this strategy as much as possible in the coming days.

-- I'm noticing a possible pattern concerning my own (virtual) trading: for various reasons (either they were too risky, or not the right time of day, or for some other reason), I've passed on a number of potential entries that would have been successful. It's possible that my objections to these entries (essentially, my fears that they will not succeed) are unfounded. More testing needed.

FX_Cowboy said:
-- I'm noticing a possible pattern concerning my own (virtual) trading: for various reasons (either they were too risky, or not the right time of day, or for some other reason), I've passed on a number of potential entries that would have been successful. It's possible that my objections to these entries (essentially, my fears that they will not succeed) are unfounded. More testing needed.

Why do you say "fears that they will not succeed"? Can you elaborate?

dbphoenix said:
Why do you say "fears that they will not succeed"? Can you elaborate?
Well, this gets right to the reason why I believe I need to have a tested trading plan. Essentially, I have no empirical reason NOT to take these trades. I don't really have any evidence that the entries would succeed either, but they do fit in with my understanding of how the dynamics of price action were working. However, I'm beginning to suspect that I may be avoiding these trades because at some level I do not think they would succeed.

The word "fear" may be a bit strong here (and maybe I'm just overly influenced by the last chapter of Steenbarger I've been reading -- where he talks about behavior modification by facing up to one's fears), but certainly I'm interpreting the price action I'm seeing through some kind of filter, attempting to make entries only at times when I think the chances of success are greatest. So, I guess what I'm really wondering is whether I'm allowing some emotional response (based on unknowns -- the effect of extremes in volatility on my setup) to prevent me from making entries I otherwise probably would have made.

There's another, deeper issue here as well -- concerning the willingness to accept and take losses in one's trading. On this score, I've moved along the spectrum from a real unwillingness to accept and take losses, to a grudging acceptance of the need to take losses (viewing them as sort of a "necessary evil"), to the point where I see losses as inevitable, and something to minimize.

Intellectually, I understand how one could reach the point of total nonchalance concerning losses, but I think one must have some probabilistic basis for such an attitude. Basically, if you know that x percent of the time your entry will result in a loss, but overall the strategy/setup is profitable over time, I believe losses become completely routine. THAT is the point I'm attempting to reach through the process of testing and creating a trading plan.

Last edited:
You've pretty much wrapped it all up in this post. We want to be intuitive. But unless one is exceptional, there are no shortcuts to this level (and if one is not exceptional, he will find out rather quickly). So we take or don't take a trade based on what we think or feel or intuit when in fact we are acting or not acting based on some subliminal fear. In other words, we don't take a trade because we "intuit" that it won't succeed, but we in fact don't take it because we are afraid that at bottom we have no idea what we're doing, we don't want to fail, we can't afford to lose, etc. The doubt and anxiety freeze us, and whatever intuitive sense we may have has been buried in the muck.

Which is why the testing is so important, and the experience, which is both a companion to and a consequence of the testing. That is, it's not just the testing that bolsters confidence but the experience that one has gained by having gone through the testing in the first place, regardless of the outcome of the testing.

As for the willingness to accept the loss, that's a biggie, and if one is unfortunate enough to begin trading for real at the beginning of what Yoder calls the "payout cycle", he can suffer a significant setback to his self-confidence.

There are those who believe that if you're not trading intuitively, you're not trading. This is unrealistic. Perhaps at some point you will "get it". Or perhaps you never will. Does that preclude you from trading? Not necessarily. If you can develop a system that you trust, you will put yourself in the position of trusting your system rather than your intuition. Of course, since you developed the system, you will in a sense be trusting yourself in either case (this does not apply if you use somebody else's system). However, trusting the system (or strategy or whatever one wants to call it) is not quite so fuzzy as trusting one's intuitive sense. The system is also more easily fixed.

When you reach those "inflection points" where you must decide whether to pull the trigger or not, based either on your system or you intuition, put your thoughts into words. Employ Steenbarger's tactic of being your own coach and explain to yourself, out loud, just what it is that's going through your head -- and what you're feeling -- at the moment you have to make that decision. Get a digital voice recorder (you can pick up an Olympus on eBay for $20 or so) rather than try to write all this down, then review your explanation/analysis/rationalization at the end of the day when you aren't on the spot and can be more objective. Use your charting program's replay function at the same time you play your recording. At the very least, this exercise may help you clarify and separate what's going on with you intuitively and what's going on with regard to your perception of your system.

Note: if you're interested in the DVR, look at the Olympus 240PC. The 240 is cheaper, but the 240PC enables you to download your recordings to your PC (if you don't care about that, the 240 is, as I said, cheaper).

Last edited:
dbphoenix said:
When you reach those "inflection points" where you must decide whether to pull the trigger or not, based either on your system or you intuition, put your thoughts into words. Employ Steenbarger's tactic of being your own coach and explain to yourself, out loud, just what it is that's going through your head -- and what you're feeling -- at the moment you have to make that decision. Get a digital voice recorder (you can pick up an Olympus on eBay for $20 or so) rather than try to write all this down, then review your explanation/analysis/rationalization at the end of the day when you aren't on the spot and can be more objective. Use your charting program's replay function at the same time you play your recording. At the very least, this exercise may help you clarify and separate what's going on with you intuitively and what's going on with regard to your perception of your system.

Note: if you're interested in the DVR, look at the Olympus 240PC. The 240 is cheaper, but the 240PC enables you to download your recordings to your PC (if you don't care about that, the 240 is, as I said, cheaper).

Thank you for the suggestion. I think this could be a real benefit to me at this point.

3/13/2006
There are no noteworthy reports on this day.

(1) We're in the middle of a range that has persisted for 3 days now. I've drawn in (blue lines) a couple of important levels in the range, which for my purposes can serve as the range top and bottom. The PDH and PDL are also important levels. If price breaks through and then retraces to (and finds S/R at) any of these levels, I will use this as an opportunity to enter.

(Note: Since the last chart I uploaded cut off the results of the last entry for 3/10, I've circled the entry and marked the low that price made after the entry -- 1.1937, which is 4 pips lower than the target of 1.1941.)

(2) Okay, this entry (circled) succeeded, just reaching the target before heading back down. I'm now contemplating an entry at the PDH. We're missing Sunday's price action (due to some limitations in my charting package) which makes the price action more difficult to judge. There are also a couple of counter-indications here. First, price has fallen below the breakout bar, and second, we seem to be making lower highs and lower lows. Ultimately, it boils down to a single consideration: with this bar interval, it just doesn't qualify as my setup (it might qualify as a BO/RET on an hourly bar interval, for instance, although in that case the entry signal would be different too.)

(3) From about 4:30 to 11:00 price falls into a narrow range, finally breaking out around 11:15. This entry is aggressive, because it occurs below a significant S/R level (marked in blue), but I'll give it a try.

(4) The entry in (3) is successful, but is SO shortly thereafter. I consider the level marked in green to be the level to break through at this point, and there is a BO around 2:30 (note the volume). I'll take this entry. (My one concern is that price doesn't retrace all the way back to the S/R level.)

(5) The entry in (4) also succeeds, and by the end of the day would still be active. (Finally a bit of sustained directional movement, although the daily range is again only 65 pips.) I've drawn in the stage 1 and stage 2 TL's.

Attachments

• posting054.jpg
    posting054.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 267
  • posting055.jpg
    posting055.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 265
  • posting056.jpg
    posting056.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 272
  • posting057.jpg
    posting057.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 253
  • posting058.jpg
    posting058.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 283
3/14/2006
Reports today include: Current Account, Retail Sales @ 8:30, Business Inv. @ 10:00. The reports at 8:30 could move the market.

(1) (No chart image for this one.) We've had four days of low volatility with this pair. At some point, possibly this day, we'll get a real BO. Already, we're above the level I had considered to be the top of the range. A trade entered yesterday was not SO, and price has not returned to that level. So we seem to have some upward drift at this point. The level to BO (as I see it) is the PDL at range bottom and PDH/Blue line (1.2049/52) at top.

(2) (First chart.) A slightly aggressive setup, as it's below the main S/R level. But we've RET to near the top of that small range delimited by gray lines, and the momentum still seems to be upward.

(3) The entry in (2) failed. After some initial movement in the desired direction, price came back and just hit the stop before moving back up. (I should consider placing the stop below the S/R level when it's that close.) I've adjusted the entry parameters, and am going for a second try here, with the same rationale as (2).

(4) The entry in (3) succeeded, but after a couple of forays above the PDH, price heads back down to the middle of the range just prior to the 8;30 reports.

(5) The reaction to the 8:30 reports is fairly muted (so far). I'll take a long entry here on the BO out of the 2-hour range preceding the reports, and the RET to the top of that range.

(6) This entry succeeds. Also, since I was in a trade at this point I didn't think to stop the replay in time, but I do want to note in passing that if I had not entered as described in (5), this would be another good entry point (marked "ORB Entry").

(7) Another potential entry, although obviously not as desirable as (5) or (6).

(8) Entries at (6) and (7) were also successful. From aorund 10:30 on, price remains in a range of app. 14 pips. We did get some solid directional movement today, and the daily range increased to over 90 pips.

Attachments

• posting063.jpg
    posting063.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 277
  • posting062.jpg
    posting062.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 246
  • posting061.jpg
    posting061.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 263
  • posting060.jpg
    posting060.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 239
  • posting059.jpg
    posting059.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 262
  • posting064.jpg
    posting064.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 250
  • posting065.jpg
    posting065.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
This is the first time I've kept a stream-of-consciousness log of a trade in this detail. Since the trade seems to be working out well, I decided to post it. I think I'll benefit from looking at this in the future (especially all my doubts and concerns in the first hour after entry), and it could possibly benefit others as well. If you want to see a real nervous Nelly in action, warts and all, read further. (Also, since I wrote all of this in Notepad, I remembered at a certain point that you can get the time inserted automatically by pressing F5, which is useful for this sort of log.)

Plan
-----
Take a BO/RET signal long above 1.2946 or short below 1.2871.

-- I won't take ANY signal within that range.
-- I'll use the usual 1st target

8:30 -- I feel the impulsive desire to jump in on strong movements to the short side, inspired by my fear that I'll miss out on the "big move". I remind myself that my strategy really does have an edge, and that blindly jumping into the fray does not. Wait for something with some edge to it.

I was debating whether to wait for a signal on the 5-minute or take a signal on the 55-tick chart. In a fast moving market, the 55-tick provides signals without too much noise, yet seems to capture the dynamics I need to make a decision. If the market were slower, then the 55-tick might be too sensitive, and I might want instead to use either the 5-minute chart or else another tick chart with a larger interval. I enter short on a signal on the 55-tick chart on a RET below 1.2871.

I see price heading back now toward my entry point, find myself hoping that it will move back down again. Remember, there is only a chance that this will be a sustained movement in the desired direction today, but that sticking religiously to this strategy will pay off in the LONG TERM. If today, this trade, is not one of those times when we have sustained directional movement, then so be it.

I took profits on half my position (as per plan) at 8.3 pips profit, so I have my stop 8 pips back from my entry point. Price seems to be headed back up now to test the S/R level where my stop resides. If the stop is taken out, then I'm looking at the usual re-entry rules. I'll only take a short signal on the 5-minute below 1.2871.

I see some worryingly large volume going up. I'm now in the red on the remainder of my trade (2.5), and I start thinking "wouldn't it be a good idea to take profit on at least some of the remainder at BE, so that this entry wouldn't be a total wash?" I worry that price will rise just enough to take out my stop and then rocket back downward. I remind myself that, in that case price will likely give me my short signal on the 5-minute, and I can get back into the trade. Stick with the plan. And if the stop is taken out and price returns to the range? That's fine, today was not the day then.

At 1.2867 (4 pips under the bottom of the range as I have it), price seems to find some resistance and heads down 5 pips before starting back up. Argh, feelings of frustration. The original hook I entered on went back as far as 1.2869, and my entry was below that. So price movement above that will threaten my stop (still worrying out that stop being taken out).

I feel myself tensing up, and breath constricting as we get close to the stop, so I'm taking a moment to breathe deeply, and make a conscious effort to relax. Time the feelings of anxiety. It's 9:05 now. Even if this doesn't work today, at least the entry was successful, so it will be nothing gained, nothing lost. I've had worse days trading, much worse.

I get an entry signal on the 5-minute chart at almost exactly the same level as my original entry, but then price immediately heads back up toward the S/R level (and my stop). Now, if I were to wait for a 1-2-3 entry, I would not be entering until price headed BACK up, meaning I may not have entered at all, which would amount to the same thing as the wash which may be about to happen.

We definitely have resistance at this level, but will it be sufficient? Another thrust upward. 1-2-3 entry signal on the 55-tick, as a wave of selling hits. The high on the RET so far is exactly 1.2871. My stop barely withstood that last upward thrust. We've now had 2 primary hits on the S/R line now, and may be heading for a third.

9:18 AM 8/10/2006 - This is really where the whole thing hangs in the balance, and the matter is definitely NOT decided.

9:19 AM 8/10/2006 - The pace of transactions has lessened. It's like being in the center of a storm. Very few transactions. Price at 1.2866. A downward movement here would be very positive.

9:21 AM 8/10/2006 - The second entry signal on the 5-minute. And again, price heads towards R, 1.2870. Higher volume on the 55-tick.

9:24 AM 8/10/2006 - This indecision seems to be taking a LONG time. I know it's not that unusual, but it's not really a good sign either. The first strong thrust down was promising, but then this hour-long RET shows that there is still a great deal of indecision in the market.

9:25 AM 8/10/2006 - Another movement down to 1.2863, which seems to be support for now. Now we break down to 1.2860. Nice solid black bar here. My trade is in the black again. Price is finding some support at 1.2860, where there was an initial, failed attempt to continue in the BO direction (edit: on the original BO). So there's a fight at this level (1.2859 is low).

9:34 AM 8/10/2006 - At this point, since I'm not playing the failure setup, I wonder whether I shouldn't just walk away, and let the market do its thing? I'm reminded that I still don't have a GOOD solution in my plan for what to do with the rest of the trade. I've done different things in the past: let it run, got scared out of it and lost out on a nice large run, took profits (amazingly) at exactly the ideal moment. My inclination is to just let the thing run until the end of the day (1:00? 5:00?).

9:37 AM 8/10/2006 - We seem to be through the Support at 1.2860, and are now at 1.2854, still higher than the BO low of 1.2850, but now solidly in the black with a 9.8 pips unrealized gain. We hit exactly 1.2850 (double bottom?) and price bounces. We have a real bounce now, with some volume. I am sorely tempted to take profits here (at least partial). Price has rebounded a full 10 pips to 1.2860 again, where now there's some resistance. Back down to 1.2855. Will we be able to break through 1.2850? Back to 1.2859. Now I'm grateful for the support here on the way down -- perhaps we'll get enough resistance to restrain the buying pressure.

9:46 AM 8/10/2006 - If price were to break above 1.2861 or so, would it be wise to take, say, half my position off? I won't do that this time, because I didn't plan to do so, but there seems to be some merit to the idea of taking off at least SOME profits when things move against you. My best guess at the moment is that, in the long run, you're better off leaving the whole trade on, and seeing where you stand at the end of the day.

9:50 AM 8/10/2006 - We're making a second run at 1.2850 -- and we're through, down to 1.2848. Is this a 2B? Price springs back up to 1.2853, 50, 51, 53. Could have just been a trap for traders looking to go short at that point. (Set by whom?)

9:58 AM 8/10/2006 - Price has gone as high as 1.2857, now 1.2853, and we seem to be at another lull in the action in terms of trading activity. It's almost come to a complete stop. Is this traders deciding whether or not to go for movement down? Is that an indication of uncertainty that spells doom for this trade? Quick spike up to 1.2859, then back to 1.2852 then back up to 1.2858, 1.2851. Yoyo effect on much higher activity.

10:02 AM 8/10/2006 - New low at 1.2845. We seem to have broken the logjam at 1.2850. Would it be safe NOW to move my stop to BE? How will I handle that in my plan? Just leave the stop at its original point throughout the trade? I mean, it would seem stupid to have a trade move 30 pips in your direction, take partial profits at, say 10 pips profit, and then still end up with nothing more than a BE trade at the end of the day. Hehe, that's actually a lifestyle choice. If you are going to babysit your trade all day long, you can sit there and watch for some reversal signal. But still, I think once price has moved some distance in my direction, it would make sense to at least move the remainder to BE.

10:09 AM 8/10/2006 - 1.2839. I'm going to move my stop to BE, and just let the market do what it will for the rest of the day. My feelings now are that I would hate to have this (currently) 24.6 pip profit disappear. But there's just no cure for it that I know of. I can take profits now, but then if this just happens to be one of those days where the market really moves, I'll regret it. One consideration is how far the market has moved so far today (ADR idea). The high this morning was 1.2943. Price is now 1.2835, 108 pips lower. I know the long term average daily range is around 120 pips, so by that measure, we could be at or near the bottom for the day. On the other hand, the support level we broke through was pretty prominent on the daily, 3-hour, and hourly charts. Despite slow beginnings, this could well be a big move today.

10:17 AM 8/10/2006 - 1.2829.

10:35 AM 8/10/2006 - 1.2801.

Attachments

• posting070.jpg
    posting070.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 289
Nice, Dan, very nice. I am impressed, especially since you did it by hand rather than by voice recording. As I said earlier, if you can nail down your thoughts and feelings, you can begin to separate them from the plan itself and focus in turn on what may need fixing in your plan and what may need fixing in your head.

Db

...you did it by hand rather than by voice recording.
For a fast typist and slow thinker, it seems the ideal solution.

As I said earlier, if you can nail down your thoughts and feelings, you can begin to separate them from the plan itself and focus in turn on what may need fixing in your plan and what may need fixing in your head.
Reading through what I've written, I see that fleshing out my plan would alleviate some of my concerns while I'm in the trade, for example in the area of trade management.

And yes, my head could probably use some fixing too (as in, "Yew bettah git yo' haid raht boah", lol.) I like the way you put that, but I know what you mean, and I do not disagree. I'm sure additional plan testing (additional confidence in the plan) and reducing position size (reducing possible causes of anxiety) for awhile would go a long way toward helping in this regard.

FX_Cowboy said:
I'm sure additional plan testing (additional confidence in the plan) and reducing position size (reducing possible causes of anxiety) for awhile would go a long way toward helping in this regard.

I agree. Having absolute confidence in your plan virtually eliminates the angst. Remember what I said in the Practicum: the amount of anxiety you feel during the day is in direct inverse proportion to the amount of preparation you've done.

Db

Where things stand

Currently, my trading can be separated into two different themes:

1) I trade a BO/RET strategy which, when I follow my plan, has an edge. I've put in quite a bit of work to get to this point with the strategy, including testing with old charts, testing using replay, some papertrading, and trading in real time with small (but increasing) trade sizes. Occasionally (fortunately, less and less frequently), I second guess my setup, almost always with disastrous results. As I now trade it, this strategy typically sets up less than once per day. There are several ways in which this setup could be improved, but it is profitable, and that's a pretty important milestone for me.

2) I enter trades based on my (sometimes vague) understanding at the time of where price is in the current trend, and where we stand compared to S/R levels. I don't really have firm rules here, so I tend more frequently to trade impulsively, let losing trades run longer, etc. My results fluctuate wildly when I do this, and I've had long winning streaks, but over timel, I know I'm losing money when I do this. To be fair to myself, I should add that much of this type of trading has been done in the spirit of (fairly unstructured) experimentation, and we are not talking large sums here.

So, let's see. When I trade my fairly well tested strategy according to my rules, I tend to make money, but when I ignore my rules, or take trades with no tested edge, I tend to lose money. Wow, who could've seen THAT coming?

When I put things that bluntly, I not only feel pretty stupid, but I see that what I should do is to continue to trade my current setup, and, for the time being, stop trading anything else. Period. And so that is what I am doing.

However, I would like to trade even on days when my setup doesn't present itself, and also to be more flexible and adaptive to price action even during days when I do trade my BO/RET strategy. And I suspect that is the primary reason why I was trading the way I described in (2), above. Trading only my current setup feels too much to me like fighting with one arm tied behind my back (or to get away from fighting analogies, like sailing with only a quarter sail).

Consequently, I have started working on a new trading strategy, and plan to post most of the development work here. I expect this to complement the work I've done on the BO/RET strategy, and not replace it.

If it makes you feel any better to know that this never really stops, I recently worked for about a month on a major tweak that would provide more trades since it was clear to me that the market was providing more trades than I was taking advantage of (largely due to laziness). Or maybe knowing that it never really stops will depress you. In any case, you're not alone.

Db

Reading DB's thread on Support and Resistance (S/R and the Mirror of Erised) has been a real eye-opener for me. There are a few things I learned in reading that thead which I don't want to lose sight of -- and in fact need to make use of -- as I continue to develop my trading plan. I know I'm not breaking any new ground here for anyone besides myself, but for me, right now, these are some high level concepts to focus on.

-- Drawing in the important S/R levels from weekly, daily, and hourly timeframes is the means by which the larger context can be and should be translated into my plan's specific actions.

-- S/R levels must be determined methodically in order to achieve consistent results.

-- Be aware of the interval between the S/R levels as they develop. (Any regularity? Increasing/decreasing?)

-- Historical S/R levels are validated by current price action, which provide more precise levels to anchor entries, stops and targets. In other words, S and R may not show up exactly at the level suggested by longer term charts. (See the forest, but don't lose sight of the trees.)

dbphoenix said:
If it makes you feel any better to know that this never really stops, I recently worked for about a month on a major tweak that would provide more trades since it was clear to me that the market was providing more trades than I was taking advantage of (largely due to laziness). Or maybe knowing that it never really stops will depress you. In any case, you're not alone.
Well, quite frankly, at this point I feel like someone has given me all of the pieces to a jigsaw puzzle, and now I just need to spend some time putting it together and making sure that it comes out right. That this particular puzzle can be put together in different ways only makes it all the more interesting. And if later I decide that I want or need to change the puzzle around some, then that's okay too. I like puzzles.