Futures broker - any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ST,
Read my posts again on this thread. You will get a better picture of what I'm saying concerning:
Fees, marg, service,trades, rules,

Bull

Bulldozer,
once again you are incorrect. Exchanges require margin to maintain positions. You seem to keep implying that IB charges more than required. we do not. The SPAN table and parameters are set by the exchange and IB utilizes those parameters.

Below is a link to Euronext Liffe specifying the margin requirements. They use SPAN margining and so does IB. I thus ask you to please check your facts before continuing to spread inaccurate information.

http://www.euronext.com/editorial/wide/0,5371,1732_200488359,00.html

Mr Def,
Again you dont seem to understand my posts?
Let me xplain again to you and maybe this time you can grasp what I'm saying! :LOL:
The clearing house sets the margin on an open naked short PUT/call. or spreads positions! THEN THE BROKERS ADD THEIR BIT ON TOP OF THAT WHICH COULD BE AS MUCH AS 10-100% OR AS LITTLE AS ZERO.
THEN THE BROKERS SETS SOME RULES ON THOSE MARGIN CONDITIONS! NOW WE WILL LOOK AT THOSE RULES?

1. YOU NEED TO PLACE CASH IN ACCOUNT OR WE CLOSE POSITIONS if account is on margin-call
2. IF YOUR ACCOUNT GOES ON MARGIN-CALL THEY CLOSE POSITIONS WITHOUT INFORMING THE CLIENTS.
3. YOU CANNOT ADJUST POSITIONS UNTIL MARGIN-CALLS HAVE BEEN SETTLED FIRST!!!
NOW THIS ONE REALY MAKES ME MAD BECAUSE I ASKED YOU THIS QUESTION MANY TIMES AND YOUV NOT REPLIED TO IT!! WHY????????
THERE ARE SO MANY RULES BROKERS HAVE ON MARGIN THAT IS NOT ENFORCED BY THE CLEARING OR THE EXCHANGE!
NOW DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THESE QUESTIONS? IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND THE QUESTIONS AND IF YOU CANT ANSWER WITHOUT SAYING I MUST REFER TO THE WEB SITE? PLEASE PUT YOUR BOSS ON THE BOARD HE MAY WELL BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT MY QUESTIONS AND REPLY.
4. NO GRACE TIME IF ON MARGIN-CALL [this one you did answer] thank you!

Plus all the other questions on my previous posts! I really dont have the time and energy to go thru them all again! Or perhaps some clients from IB can answer the above questions by contacting them direct. I would appreciate if someone can get the rules on Option Margin from 2-3 US brokers to see if they are ALL the same set of rules.
Def, I dont think i could make these questions any easier for you?

Bull
Less margin = more free money to trade more positions! This is the dream of any experience Option player. But some brokers are STYFFLING that dream. :devilish: :eek:

Def,
We are finally getting somewhere! But its mighty hard work! Now lets look at your statement below:
"The SPAN table and parameters are set by the exchange and IB utilizes those parameters."

The span table, and you utilize THOSE PARAMETERS!!
Now PLS READ THIS NEXT QUESTION PROPERLY!
If 3 of us did a NAKED put ITM near month? with 3 different brokers from any where in the WORLD, would we all pay the EXACT amount of margin with the SAME SET of RULES?

Easy questions? yeh. Please reply, or get your boss to reply .

Thank you for your help.

Bull

I don't see the hang-up you have with margin. First this thread is about FUTURES. Second, all the information you request is available on the IB web site. This is not a customer support forum for IB. Nevertheless, since you continue to attack me, I've pasted the information below from our web site. I've already answered that we do not charge over the SPAN margin requirements of the exchange where you said you'd pay me $1000 and switch all 5 (why 5?) of your accounts to our firm. I'm sure you won't adhere to your side of the bargain. The paste below should answer your questions. If it doesn't please send a mail to [email protected] if you are seriously considering opening an account. Since you are not, please give it a rest.

IB Margin Overview

IB calculates initial margin requirements at the time of each trade, maintenance margin requirements on a real-time basis, and Reg T margin at the end of each day, and will liquidate positions on a real-time basis if there is a margin deficiency. Real-time margining allows IB to maintain low commissions because IB does not have to spread the cost of credit losses to customers like other non-automated brokers.

All of the calculations below as well as other real-time account statistics can be found in the TWS account window. For a detailed description of the account window and its underlying calculations, see the TWS User's Guide.

It should be noted that all liquidation are subject to the normal commission schedule. Advisor clients will not be subject to advisor fees for any liquidating transaction.

New Position Margin Calculations

Upon submission of an order request, a check is made against real-time available funds. If available funds including the order request >=0 the order is submitted, if it is negative the order is rejected. The following calculations are used to determine available funds:

Securities available funds = Securities equity with loan value - Securities initial margin requirement.

Commodities available funds = Commodities net liquidation value - Commodities initial margin requirement

In addition, you are required to have a minimum of $2,000 or USD equivalent of securities equity with loan value or commodities net liquidation value to open a new position.

Maintenance Margin Calculations

On a real-time basis, excess liquidity is checked to ensure that it's >=0, if it is negative the account is subject to liquidation on a real-time basis. The following calculations are used to determine excess liquidity:

Securities excess liquidity = Securities equity with loan value - Securities maintenance margin requirements

Commodities excess liquidity = Commodities net liquidation value - Commodities maintenance margin requirements

Reg T End of Day Margin Calculations

At the end of each US trading day (15:50-16:00 ET), a Special Memorandum Account (SMA) is checked to ensure that it's > =0, if it is negative the account is subject to liquidation. In addition, no cash withdrawal will be allowed that causes SMA to go negative on a real-time basis. SMA is calculated for all securities (stocks and options) regardless of country of trading as follows:

Special Memorandum Account=Maximum ((Equity with Loan Value - initial margin requirements*), (Prior Day SMA +/- change in day's cash +/- initial margin requirements**))

Calculated at the end of the day under US margin rules.
** Calculated at the time of the trade under US margin rules.
Margin Models

Margin requirements are calculated either on a rules basis or a risk basis.

For rule based margin systems, predefined, static calculations are applied to each position or predefined groups of positions (“strategies”). The following instruments are margined using rule based margins:

US stocks, index options, and stock options

Canadian stocks, index options, and stock options

Dutch index and stock options
The calculations for each of these products are described under the Trading/Margin pulldown menu.

For risk based margin systems, exchanges consider the maximum one day risk on all the positions in a complete portfolio, or subportfolio together (for example, a future and all the options delivering that future). The general calculation method is as follows:

Exchange assigns scanning ranges for price movements, volatility shifts, and other risk directions. The ranges are based on observations of historical performance of the underlying instrument.

Every instrument (stock/option/future) is valued over the ranges of price, volatility, etc. The resultant value matrix is distributed to Interactive Brokers on a daily basis.

IB values the (sub)portfolio over the matrix and determines the worst case scenario loss using standard models approved by the exchange.

The margin is calculated as the difference between the current portfolio value and the worst case value
Margin requirements for each underlying are listed on the appropriate exchange site for the contract. A summary of the requirements for the major futures contract requirements as well as links to the exchange sites is available on our Futures Margin Requirements page.

Restriction on Leverage

There is a real-time check on overall position leverage, as follows: The Gross Position Value cannot be more than 50 times the Adjusted Net Liquidation Value. Alternatively, this can be expressed as:

2% securities gross position value > Net liquidation value - Futures option value
Liquidations may occur if the Gross Position Value exceeds more than 50 times the liquidation value.

Universal Account

Although the Universal AccountSM should be viewed as a single account for trading and account monitoring purposes, for regulatory and segregation purposes, there exists a separate securities and commodities account. If there is a margin deficit in either your securities or commodities account, cash will be immediately transferred to protect the margin deficit. At the end of each day, any excess cash in your commodities account will be swept to your securities account.

Margin What Ifs

Margin "What Ifs" may be tested through the TWS Demo or by creating an order and choosing Check Margin under the Orders menu before you transmit an order.

Mr Def,
You cannot answer a straight question with a straight answer! just like the politicians!

Well your rules are NOT SUITABLE for the real option trader and this is why they dont join your firm and why some have left. AND THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE. Whats more MY brokers rules beats yours hands down!

So what you are also saying is if 6 traders had the same naked position with 6 diffrent USA brokers THEY ALL WOULD BE CHARGED the same amount of margin even if one of them was an ADVANCED TRADER? Can you at least answer YES or NO to this easy question on US brokers PLEASE?

By the way I'M NOT ATTACKING YOU!! I'm just trying to get some straight answers to a set of easy questions on MARGIN thats all. :cheesy: :LOL:

Bull

IB Margin Overview .
[Sent in by employee of IB.]

IB calculates initial margin requirements at the time of each trade, maintenance margin requirements on a real-time basis, and Reg T margin at the end of each day, and will LIQUIDATE POSITIONS on a real-time basis if there is a MARGIN DEFICIENCY. Real-time margining allows IB to maintain low commissions because IB does not have to spread the cost of credit losses to customers like other non-automated brokers.

All of the calculations below as well as other real-time account statistics can be found in the TWS account window. For a detailed description of the account window and its underlying calculations, see the TWS User's Guide.

It should be noted that all liquidation are subject to the normal commission schedule. Advisor clients will not be subject to advisor fees for any liquidating transaction.

New Position Margin Calculations

Upon submission of an order request, a check is made against real-time available funds. If available funds including the order request >=0 the order is submitted, if it is negative the order is rejected. The following calculations are used to determine available funds:

Securities available funds = Securities equity with loan value - Securities initial margin requirement.

Commodities available funds = Commodities net liquidation value - Commodities initial margin requirement

In addition, you are required to have a minimum of $2,000 or USD equivalent of securities equity with loan value or commodities net liquidation value to open a new position.

Maintenance Margin Calculations

On a real-time basis, excess liquidity is checked to ensure that it's >=0, if it is negative the account is subject to liquidation on a real-time basis. The following calculations are used to determine excess liquidity:

Securities excess liquidity = Securities equity with loan value - Securities maintenance margin requirements

Commodities excess liquidity = Commodities net liquidation value - Commodities maintenance margin requirements

Reg T End of Day Margin Calculations

At the end of each US trading day (15:50-16:00 ET), a Special Memorandum Account (SMA) is checked to ensure that it's > =0, if it is negative the account is subject to liquidation. In addition, no cash withdrawal will be allowed that causes SMA to go negative on a real-time basis. SMA is calculated for all securities (stocks and options) regardless of country of trading as follows:

Special Memorandum Account=Maximum ((Equity with Loan Value - initial margin requirements*), (Prior Day SMA +/- change in day's cash +/- initial margin requirements**))

Calculated at the end of the day under US margin rules.
** Calculated at the time of the trade under US margin rules.
Margin Models

Margin requirements are calculated either on a rules basis or a risk basis.

For rule based margin systems, predefined, static calculations are applied to each position or predefined groups of positions (“strategies”). The following instruments are margined using rule based margins:

US stocks, index options, and stock options

Canadian stocks, index options, and stock options

Dutch index and stock options
The calculations for each of these products are described under the Trading/Margin pulldown menu.

For risk based margin systems, exchanges consider the maximum one day risk on all the positions in a complete portfolio, or subportfolio together (for example, a future and all the options delivering that future). The general calculation method is as follows:

Exchange assigns scanning ranges for price movements, volatility shifts, and other risk directions. The ranges are based on observations of historical performance of the underlying instrument.

Every instrument (stock/option/future) is valued over the ranges of price, volatility, etc. The resultant value matrix is distributed to Interactive Brokers on a daily basis.

IB values the (sub)portfolio over the matrix and determines the worst case scenario loss using standard models approved by the exchange.

The margin is calculated as the difference between the current portfolio value and the worst case value
Margin requirements for each underlying are listed on the appropriate exchange site for the contract. A summary of the requirements for the major futures contract requirements as well as links to the exchange sites is available on our Futures Margin Requirements page.

Restriction on Leverage

There is a real-time check on overall position leverage, as follows: The Gross Position Value cannot be more than 50 times the Adjusted Net Liquidation Value. Alternatively, this can be expressed as:

2% securities gross position value > Net liquidation value - Futures option value
Liquidations may occur if the Gross Position Value exceeds more than 50 times the liquidation value.

Universal Account

Although the Universal AccountSM should be viewed as a single account for trading and account monitoring purposes, for regulatory and segregation purposes, there exists a separate securities and commodities account. If there is a margin deficit in either your securities or commodities account, cash will be immediately transferred to protect the margin deficit. At the end of each day, any excess cash in your commodities account will be swept to your securities account.

Margin What Ifs

Margin "What Ifs" may be tested through the TWS Demo or by creating an order and choosing Check Margin under the Orders menu before you transmit an order.

Last edited:
Mr def,

So who made those rules and especially the Frist paragraph? Was it the exchange or IB??

Dear friends according to the wordings of the first paragraph IB WOULD LIQUIDATE YOUR ACCOUNT IF ITS ON MARGIN-CALL OF JUST $10 OR MORE.
THEY HAVE NO GRACE PERIOD AT ALL.

MY ADVICE TO ALL WHO WANT TO BE ADVANCED OPTION TRADERS FIND A BROKER WITH RULES THAT SUITS YOU AND YOU ACCOUNT.

BULL
You dont need to be a genius to have brains! :LOL: :rolleyes: But you need brains to be a genius! :cheesy: :cool:

Def has requested an end to this thread, and suggested you contact the IB helpline if you wish to join IB, which he doubts (see his previous post).

Bull[/QUOTE]
bulldozer said:
So what you are also saying is if 6 traders had the same naked position with 6 diffrent USA brokers THEY ALL WOULD BE CHARGED the same amount of margin even if one of them was an ADVANCED TRADER? Can you at least answer YES or NO to this easy question on US brokers PLEASE? Bull

I do not think he is in any position to speak on behalf of 5 or 6 other U S brokers. Why do you not do your own research in this respect, and look at the rules of other U S brokers?

I have never before heard of the term 'Advanced Trader', nor understand a definition for it. IB require the same margin from all their clients to the best of my knowledge, regardless of how 'advanced' they are. I would be concerned to have my funds with any Broker who did not apply exchange margin rules strictly.

Bull[/QUOTE]
bulldozer said:
Well your rules are NOT SUITABLE for the real option trader and this is why they dont join your firm and why some have left. AND THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE. Whats more MY brokers rules beats yours hands down! Bull

Why are we still discussing options on thread with 'Futures' in the title?
And what is the point in you recommending your 5 Brokers if you are unwilling to name them; which surely was the point of this thread.

bulldozer said:
Mr def,

So who made those rules and especially the Frist paragraph? Was it the exchange or IB??

Dear friends according to the wordings of the first paragraph IB WOULD LIQUIDATE YOUR ACCOUNT IF ITS ON MARGIN-CALL OF JUST $10 OR MORE.
THEY HAVE NO GRACE PERIOD AT ALL.

:
IB rules on this are perfectly clear. The save costs by liquidating , and pass on those cost benifits in the form of better coms to their responsible clients who do not abuse their accounts by allowing them to become under-capitalised.

Peto,
Are you def's spokeperson and do you work for IB too? Or are you his boss?

1. I have no intention of joining IB. Their marg rules dont suit me.

2. An "Advance trader" is someone who passes a set of questions set by the broker in order to get a better deal than novice traders. Do you know what a novice trader is or do you want me to xplain?

3. I never reccomended 5 brokers! read my posts again pls and point out where i reccomended this.

4. This thread is about reccomending a good futures broker YES! but there is also the SAME rules on margin as there is on Options. So for all traders who want to trade futures please check that the marg rules suits your type of trading, if it does not? than I reccomend/suggest that you find a broker thats suits you and not the otherway round. Or ask the broker to change those rules and reach a compromise.

5. Read my post properly before you post your comments. You did not understand my points.
You obviously did not read them properly.

6. How did you get all those stars under your name? I notice you have no room for more. You must be better at something to most of us.? You must be "advanced" to something other wise we all SHOULD get those stars too. How many did Def give you? Just curious.

Please dont answer to this post. Unless you have something interesting to tell us or to enlighten us. We dont need a mud slinging match.

I wish you well with your trading and all the success in the world.

Blessings
Bull

In all things give thanx!

Last edited:
jafa said:
Bulldozer,

I think we all get your point....in fact we got it about 5,687 posts ago!

Now can you post something interesting...such as where traders can get more info on span requirements/software? http://www.cme.com/clearing/rmspan/span/faq2482.html

Cheers
================================================================
The real truth is! A few days ago you did not know what span was! :rolleyes:
Now , do you want me to turn you into a good advanced trader?

Bull
In all things give thanx :LOL:

OK whatever...I suppose I'm a losing trader too, yes?

You can turn me into an advanced trader so long as I don't have to take on open ended risk like you....OH, and please don't decrease my returns OK

PFFFFT

jafa said:
OK whatever...I suppose I'm a losing trader too, yes?

You can turn me into an advanced trader so long as I don't have to take on open ended risk like you....OH, and please don't decrease my returns OK

PFFFFT
==================================================================
Take a long walk up to the top of Kings park with a bottle of nice white wine and sit down on the grass and admire the views across the Swan river and just thank God for such creation and for life and think about the last 2-4 posts youve put on this forum for all to see.
Then ask yourself, i wonder what all those viewers think of me? and my posts.?

Bull

Thats a nice idea Bulldozer, but I just sit on my back veranda with a view across the jane brook valley (it runs through my back paddock) to contemplate on the wonders of creation. I do this every day.

Kings Park is nice occasionally, as is the South Perth foreshore.

I promise to do as you suggest, so long as you do likewise. Unfortunately I do not know your green land well enough to suggest a suitable spot.

Tell you what! I will be in the UK this year, you show me the nice spots and I'll let you believe you know more than anyone else :D

I'll even supply a particularly pleasant bottle of Aussie Shiraz.

Deal?

I think that quite possibly this thread has come to the end of its life.

If anyone can suggest a good reason for keeping it open, please reply, otherwise I'll close it in due course.

Hi all,
I noticed theres been alot of interest on this thread and also many posts from members.
Obviously some interesting ones and some not so interesting and some rude/offensive.
But, I'm sure that some have gained some new knowledge from what ive posted and has benifited their trading style.
Those that want to continue to send PM's? you may continue to do so and i promise to reply one way or the other ie thro the board or private. Please also indicate if you dont want reply put on the board. [rude ones dont get replies and those that insulted too, will get NO replies]
Those of you who want to give an offering in a form of gratitude for my time and effort and the blessings gained? you can BUT please dont send it to me! pls give from your heart to any of my favorite charities:
Children in need, help the aged and Cancer research.

Its been nice knowing you ALL yes i mean all! I new from the very beginning that i was going to get a mixture of respons ie Good ones and bad ones and insulting ones too. This was to be xpected as we are NOT made from the same geens. I also want to apologies to those that i have offended, its not in my nature to offend people but I'm only human and some people expliote that weakness in me and as a result i give some back in return, this is mainly because i refuse to be a door mat.

Happy trading to all
Bulldozer

Please visit >> www.jc53.com << enjoy

And remember: Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery and today is a GIFT hence called PRESENT! :LOL:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.