FTSE system

Zish said:
On the FTSE, the system has only made 2058 points from 02 Jan 2004 to 24 Jan 2007!

Hi

According to RTN's spreadsheet, it has made around 4000 points since End of 2003 - end of 2006.

Some would argue that 1300+ points per year average is good in itself. However, when the first 4 years averaged 4000+ points per year, a drop down to 1300+ for the following 3 years is quite substantial. Being able to identify precisely why would be beneficial.

How does this relate to the daily/weekly trend since January 2000..............

During 2000 FTSE100 was largely stuck in a consolidaiton pattern. 2001 & 2002 were by and large a down trend. 2003 - 2007 has been a steady uptrend.

2000, 2001 & 2002 did see some quite dramatic daily/weekly price rises and price falls. 2003 onwards, has been more or less all an up trend. However, this has been a very stable and steady uptrend, characterised by a narrower average daily-weekly range than from Jan 2000 to the end of 2002.

Does this simply mean that with the narrower/more stable daiy ranges since Jan 2003, there have been fewer opportunities to grab the big 100+ point profit days?

Or, have there also been more days when stop-losses have been hit since Jan 2003, also due the narrower daily range, and thus more ranging price movements intraday, in the steady uptrend?

What is considered the FTSE100 open time/price ? 0800 UK time - therefore the open price is the first tick thereafter?

Many thanks

Last edited:
JTrader said:
Hi

According to RTN's spreadsheet, it has made around 4000 points since End of 2003 - end of 2006.

That's the DAX you're looking at. At the bottom of RTN's excel spreadsheet you'll see the tab for FTSE.

I was wondering if you guys could check some of the numbers in RTNs spreadsheet. If you look at the FTSE data and the period 19 Oct 06 to 23 oct 06, I don't understand how losses of 33,33,34 are calculated. Then on 02 Nov 06 the ftse opened below the short entry trigger but the system says long on the spreadsheet and even then a loss of 33 is recorded?

There are similar 'mistakes' in the rest of the data so I can only assume i'm reading it wrong. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks

Zish said:
That's the DAX you're looking at. At the bottom of RTN's excel spreadsheet you'll see the tab for FTSE.

B*****ks!

So the FTSE100 results = 23800 points in the last 8 years, but only 2100 points in the last 3 years.

The system is very unprofitable on the Dow and SP500.

This system performs best and most consistently on the dax. Is it possible to spreadbet the dax with a 2 point spread? If so, who with?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to isolate Dax and FTSE dat from 01/01/2004 - today, and see how these results and settings can be improved/optimised.........

JTrader said:
This system performs best and most consistently on the dax. Is it possible to spreadbet the dax with a 2 point spread? If so, who with?

Many thanks.

You can SB the FTSE100 and DAX daily cash with Worldspreads - both have 2 pt spreads.

JT, can you look at the dates i mentioned in my post above and let me know if the calculations are correct?

Zish said:
I was wondering if you guys could check some of the numbers in RTNs spreadsheet. If you look at the FTSE data and the period 19 Oct 06 to 23 oct 06, I don't understand how losses of 33,33,34 are calculated. Then on 02 Nov 06 the ftse opened below the short entry trigger but the system says long on the spreadsheet and even then a loss of 33 is recorded?

There are similar 'mistakes' in the rest of the data so I can only assume i'm reading it wrong. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks

Hi Zish

on these dates, the data seems to be in a bit of a muddle.
To me, it doesn't look like just one column is at fault, so its hard to say what exactly needs correcting. Several columns look to be out of sync. around this dates.

The actual calculated levels for the long entry and short entry prices seem to be at fault around these dates.

Last edited:
JTrader said:
Hi Zish

on these dates, the data seems to be in a bit of a muddle.
To me, it doesn't look like just one column is at fault, so its hard to say what exactly needs correcting. Several columns look to be out of sync. around this dates.

The actual calculated levels for the long entry and short entry prices seem to be at fault around these dates.

Yep, looking through the rest of the data, there are a lot of inaccuracies. The problem seems to be in the formula that calculates the profit/loss. It needs to be amended but i'm not too hot when it comes to excel formulas!

Last edited:
Zish said:

Thanks

Zish

You have in fact discovered a minor bug in the formulae. Hopefully not too significant. The cause is something I originally referred to in my posting of the system, in that if the system looks to go trigger both short and long triggers, I assumed the long was triggered first with the short happening thereafter. Hence there is risk that if the open opens below the short on such a day the calculation ignores this and assumes the long was triggered first ie some of the losses are understated.

Perhaps you could fix the formulae so that this doesn't occur. It would be interesting to see the degree to which it changes things.

I'm not sure I can add to anything else I have said. So far you seem to have overlooked the most important bit, being that given that the system appears to have something of an edge (ie has a positive expectancy) you really should be focussing on finding a basket of markets that it works on.

As regards to whether the system currently doesn't work have a look at the VIX in the attached chart:

http://www.cboe.com/micro/vix/pricecharts.aspx

Notice how the system seems to fall off in terms of profitability when the VIX drops below 20. Notice too how on the FTSE system it produced 536 points during May 06 and 413 on the DAX, both unusual months compared to recent performance, but both occuring when the VIX briefly rose sharply. Maybe you could test whether the VIX over a certain threshold was a good filter for the system. Or maybe some other filter would work better. Either way I think you need to do some thinking and testing of your own.

If you do come up with something good maybe you will post it here.

regards

Ben

Hi

this system is definately worth looking to improve further.

1300 pips on the FTSE and 4000 on the Dax in 3 years may sound quite good for some people with big pockets, given its very good performance in the 4-5 years prior to this.

I would really like to be able to add a solid and robust daily/one trade per day system to my collection.
Therefore lets keep this thread going and pool our collective ideas - several minds are better than one etc. etc.

Lets call it work in progress...........There's definately a strong basis already in existance. A few minor adjustments here and there could make a big difference.

According to RTN's spreadsheet -

The FTSE 100 returned the following profits -
1998 = 4540 points
1999 = 3460
2000 = 4331
2001 = 3463
2002 = 3951
2003 = 2116
2004 = 638
2005 = 533
2006 = 1025

For the Dax -
2000 = 5565 points
2001 = 3440
2002 = 4986
2003 = 2921
2004 = 1686
2005 = 554
2006 = 1747

Perhaps we could start by identifying Why 2005 was a particularly low profit year for both Dax and FTSE, and why, lets say 2000 and 2002, were high profit years for both?

Thanks.

Last edited:
definitely. if someone could explain the system in basic terms maybe I could fully understand how it works as per scalping and day trading. I am also a prgrammer so could program it into a useable function in e-signal or java. please explain

JTrader said:
Hi

this system is definately worth looking to improve further.

1300 pips on the FTSE and 4000 on the Dax in 3 years may sound quite good for some people with big pockets, given its very good performance in the 4-5 years prior to this.

I would really like to be able to add a solid and robust daily/one trade per day system to my collection.
Therefore lets keep this thread going and pool our collective ideas - several minds are better than one etc. etc.

Lets call it work in progress...........There's definately a strong basis already in existance. A few minor adjustments here and there could make a big difference.

According to RTN's spreadsheet -

The FTSE 100 returned the following profits -
1998 = 4540 points
1999 = 3460
2000 = 4331
2001 = 3463
2002 = 3951
2003 = 2116
2004 = 638
2005 = 533
2006 = 1025

For the Dax -
2000 = 5565 points
2001 = 3440
2002 = 4986
2003 = 2921
2004 = 1686
2005 = 554
2006 = 1747

Perhaps we could start by identifying Why 2005 was a particularly low profit year for both Dax and FTSE, and why, lets say 2000 and 2002, were high profit years for both?

Thanks.

Do these numbers include commissions? If we assume no out of hours trades, 2pips spread and 256 trading days in a year - then you may need to take off 512pips from each of these totals. (1024 pips for DAX with a 4pt spread).

My argument still stands re entry points - if it's a major up or down day you will not be able to get filled anywhere near the yesterdays close at market open from any SB.

Hoggums said:
Do these numbers include commissions? If we assume no out of hours trades, 2pips spread and 256 trading days in a year - then you may need to take off 512pips from each of these totals. (1024 pips for DAX with a 4pt spread).

Yes they include a 2 point spread with both the FTSE and DAX which I have just checked with Capital Spreads. Actually Capital Spreads offers 2 points on the DAX and just 1 point on the FTSE.

Hoggums said:
My argument still stands re entry points - if it's a major up or down day you will not be able to get filled anywhere near the yesterdays close at market open from any SB.

Just repeating the same point over and over doesn't make it valid. If you bothered to look at the spreadsheet and read the posts then by now you'd realise that the system doesn't attempt to trade anywhere near yesterdays close. I'm not even sure where you got that idea.

Regards

Ben

Hoggums said:

Yes these numbers account for the 2 pip spread.

No-one is wanting to get filled at or near yesterdays close price.

What are everyones thoughts on changing the entry rules from 0.25% to 0.2, 0.15, 0.1 and 0.05%. I tried this on the data RTNs provided and it lead to increasingly higher points totals for both the FTSE and DAX. Obviously you'll get stopped out on more trades, but what are the disadvantages in doing this. Is it the problem that Hoggums suggests, in that it'll be harder to get the SB company to give you a quote for prices that are closer to the close price. i.e. with +/- 0.05% entry points, they are only 3 points away from the close price compared with 16 ponts for 0.25% entry?

the author of this thread offered some principals

we have to test those principals. ours is add some results to his proposal.
I m looking forward to c some1 creating a journal on different index values.

keavenen said:
definitely. if someone could explain the system in basic terms maybe I could fully understand how it works as per scalping and day trading. I am also a prgrammer so could program it into a useable function in e-signal or java. please explain

Hi K

As has been stated in this thread with an example/s, this strategy goes long at yesterdays close +0.25% of the indexes value, and short at yesterdays close -0.25% of the indexes value.
If todays open is above or below these trigger levels, RTN spreadsheet backtest assumes that a trade was entered into immediately at or as near as possible to the open price/the long or short trigger level.
Trades are on the daily/daily rolling FTSE & DAX CASH indexes, and are to be closed automatically at the market close, by the spreadbet co. for a profit/loss, if not beforehand, by a stop-loss, which is the opposite trade trigger level for the day (short trigger if long trigger hit first, and long trigger if short trigger hit first).

Cheers
JT.

Zish said:
What are everyones thoughts on changing the entry rules from 0.25% to 0.2, 0.15, 0.1 and 0.05%. I tried this on the data RTNs provided and it lead to increasingly higher points totals for both the FTSE and DAX. Obviously you'll get stopped out on more trades, but what are the disadvantages in doing this. Is it the problem that Hoggums suggests, in that it'll be harder to get the SB company to give you a quote for prices that are closer to the close price. i.e. with +/- 0.05% entry points, they are only 3 points away from the close price compared with 16 ponts for 0.25% entry?

Hi Zish

as you say, using these smaller %'s enables the use of smaller stop-losses, which in turn enables the use of larger stake sizes, while risking the same % of capital per trade.

With these smaller %'s more trades will see the SL being hit, thus a smaller % of winning trades.

I don't see why the SB co. will have a problem filling anyone at whatever price. If the market opens +3p from yesterdays close, they are going to be quoting somewhere near +3p from yesterdays close themselves at market open. If today opens +16p, then they themselves are going to be quoting somewhere near +16p at todays market open. Or am I missing something here?

Whatever makes the most points net profit at the end of the day, with the smallest stop-losses being used, is what gets my vote, because with smaller stop-losses and bigger stake sizes, capital can then grow quicker.

But it needs to be stable and practical to trade with an SB co.

Last edited:
Zish said:

Changing the entry trigger levels to 0.20% increases FTSE gains over last 3 years to 3502 points, up from 2000 points with 0.25%. 27548 total points in 9 years, up from 23918 over 9 years at 0.25%.

Changing the entry trigger levels to 0.15% increases FTSE gains over last 3 years to 4200 points, up from 2000 points with 0.25%. 31165 total points in 9 years, up from 23918 over 9 years at 0.25%.

Changing the entry trigger levels to 0.125% increases FTSE gains over last 3 years to 4835 points, up from 2000 points with 0.25%. 32197 total points in 9 years, up from 23918 over 9 years at 0.25%.

Changing the entry trigger levels to 0.10% increases FTSE gains over last 3 years to 5400 points, up from 2000 points with 0.25%. 34102 total points in 9 years, up from 23918 over 9 years at 0.25%.

Changing the entry trigger levels to 0.05% increases FTSE gains over last 3 years to 6440 points, up from 2000 points with 0.25%. 36073 total points in 9 years, up from 23918 over 9 years at 0.25%.

The more or less diagonal equity curves look rather nice.

The good thing about using these smaller %'s to calculate the long and short entry price is that these two levels become closer together, hence stop-losses are typically smaller, hence stake sizes can be bigger, while risking approximately the same level of capital per trade.

Getting filled at or very close to today open price is another issue, on the occassions when the open is above the long entry trigger, or below the short entry trigger.
WorldSpreads for example, base their quotes on the futures price, with both the cash and LIFFE futures markets open at 0800.
A few minutes later the FTSE100 cash and futures prices come in line with one another, as the cash catches up with the futures price, or vice versa.
On these occassions, entering on the opening WS quote may be beneficial in some instances, and detrimental in other instances.
Sometimes the cash and futures price open in line with one another at 0800, and so entering the trade at 08:00, or placing the online orders at 0800 will not be a problem, and if eg. the cash long entry trigger level is hit, but the futures price (and WS quote) are lower, then entering on the opening WS price will be beneficial.
The alternative would be to manually wait a few minutes until the cash index comes back in line with the futures price, and the WS quote (based on the futures price all day) moves back in line with the live cash index price.

Typically, there may be a 2 point difference between the cash and futures prices during the course of a day.

The cash and futures prices can easily open at 08:00:00 10 or more points out of line. Usually by 08:10, they will have come back in line with one another - or so a more knowledgeable person than me has informed me.

Personally, trading this system, i would want to be manually sat in front of my live cash FTSE100 chart at 0800-0810.
If the cash market open price triggered the systems long or short entry prices, I would then decide whether to enter immediately based on if the spreadbet quote was in my favour.
If the SB quote was not in my favour my more than a few points, I would wait for the cash and futures prices come back in line, at which point, i may be able to enter at a more favourable price, or the cash and futures prices may not have come closer to my entry trigger price at which point I would be entering at an equally unfavourable, or even less favourable price, but at least the cash and futures prices would be in line at this stage.

If the cash market opened within the long or short trade entry triggger, I would not want the opening SB price (based on the futures price) to enter me into a trade that the cash market did not signal. Therefore placing opening orders before the cash and futures come back in line with each other is something I would not want to do.
If the cash open was within the the long and short entry triggers, once the cash and futures markets came back in line with each other, I would then be happy to place my orders online, and wait for them to be hit during the day.

Last edited:
JTrader said:
Changing the entry trigger levels to 0.20% increases FTSE gains over last 3 years to 3502 points, up from 2000 points with 0.25%. 27548 total points in 9 years, up from 23918 over 9 years at 0.25%.

Changing the entry trigger levels to 0.15% increases FTSE gains over last 3 years to 4200 points, up from 2000 points with 0.25%. 34165 total points in 9 years, up from 23918 over 9 years at 0.25%.

Changing the entry trigger levels to 0.10% increases FTSE gains over last 3 years to 5400 points, up from 2000 points with 0.25%. 34102 total points in 9 years, up from 23918 over 9 years at 0.25%.

Changing the entry trigger levels to 0.05% increases FTSE gains over last 3 years to 6440 points, up from 2000 points with 0.25%. 36073 total points in 9 years, up from 23918 over 9 years at 0.25%.

It would be greatly appreciated if you can provide the spreadsheets for all 0.20%, 0.15%, 0.10%, and 0.05% entry points so that we can check their accuracy.