Strategy Help...Developing system.

Skytrotter81

Hi

As i am sure many of you have read before on these forums i am a new trader looking for a system to trade. Well actually, scrap that. Im a newbie but im trying to develop my own system by reading and learning as many books and forums as i can. One thing i have learnt though is you needto find a trading system that suits yourself.

For this reason i saw it pointless to buy a system to 'get my feet wet' (i hate that phrase!) and am in the process of developing a system that suits my life and personality.

I have been papertrading a weekly system that is set and forget and is basically to do with price action. without going into to much detail i set long and short trades above and below last weeks close on a sunday night and set stop losses to create a series of possible outcomes. The success in the system is setting the right stop losses and the right T.P and good money management.

I am looking to develop this into a day trading system where i find which currency pair is trending the night before, then place these long and short trades above and below the close of the night before. Ideally what i am trying to do is to make sure i trade on a curreny pair that is more likely to carry on in the direction of the trend as what i am finding is price will retrace and take my stop loss more often than not.

This is because im going purely on price action at the moment and not finding the trending pairs. So im looking for a good strategy of indicators to tell me which currency pairs are most likely to carry on trending (the night before) then place my long and short trades and leave.

I was also thinking about maybe setting a take profit or time limit (say 1pm GMT) so im trading the london morning session, and to cut down the risk set my stop lossess at the price i entered?

Any thoughts or help would be great. Im learning and this seems like a good way to do it.

Thanks

Luke

This is because im going purely on price action at the moment and not finding the trending pairs. So im looking for a good strategy of indicators to tell me which currency pairs are most likely to carry on trending (the night before) then place my long and short trades and leave.

Luke

Hi Luke

Welcome to t2w. If you start with purely price action, then it may be better 'not' to look for additional indicators. Majority of us start with MAs or oscillators and it becomes addictive before you know it.

As for the suitable pairt to trade during UK morning session, usually EUR or GBP pairs are worth looking into. USDJPY for example is relatively quiet during UK morning as its base currencies are based in USA and Japan and EURGBP rarely moves after 4pm UK time. That behaviour also depends on seasonalities. Do your own research and good luck!

Thanks for tour replies guys. Any more help or info would be greatly appreciated as I'm like a sponge at the minute

Thanks for tour replies guys. Any more help or info would be greatly appreciated as I'm like a sponge at the minute

There are a couple of good threads on here that are old but epic on trading just by using price action only, NO INDICATORS. I am reading one as we speak but 300+ pages long takes along time to digest. It's definately improved how i analyze and think about trading markets.

Happy hunting:)

Yeah I wouldn't mindreading that thread aswell. Could be wry useful. Do you know what it was called?

Just an update anyway. I started paper trading a daily system today. Put my order in before the open of the London session. An have set them to close at 2 pm gmt.

I may change this time as I improve the system to get it right. Still in two minds whether to close after a certain amount of pips have been attained or close at a specific time. Kept my SL at 30 pips. But to be honest think I might decrease this further.

Does anyone know of any good money managemnt tools or spreadsheets/websites to help with working out position size, lot size etc. Maths never was my strong point!