Dow 2006

I use CMC CFD chart and advfn.com real-time streaming chart, there's no spike in CMC although their quotes were far away from prices shown in advfn. 10pts ups and downs taking place in a minute!!

JillyB said:
Does anyone using CMC to trade the DOW have spikes at 15.09 - down to 1000 and 15.10 up to 11,450 showing on their charts?

They have totally wiped out my charts making it impossible to see what is going on.

I have asked CMC dealing desk, but no repsonse as yet.

I have restarted the program as well, but they are still there.
Any thoughts on why? Or what they are? :rolleyes:

Hi Jilly,

I'm trading the Dow today and IG Index have the same spike give or take a minute....

Like you I'm unsure....

However there IS one stop I would thoroughly recommend and that is the TRAILING stop to lock in profits. Funny how SB companies dont offer it. :rolleyes:
Maybe IB companies do ???

leovirgo said:
I use CMC CFD chart and advfn.com real-time streaming chart, there's no spike in CMC although their quotes were far away from prices shown in advfn. 10pts ups and downs taking place in a minute!!

We had that as well - suddenly up at 11,165 then seconds later down to 11,555. This happened minutes before the big spikes on the spreadbetting charts.

Both my partner and I were trading at the time and it was like "what the **** is going on?"
We both exited fairly sharpishly after that.
I haven't seen spikes like this on CMC for literally months. Is it just their data feed that goes awol?

leovirgo said:

leovirgo

I'm having problems with ADVFN streaming charts today. Is it working OK for you ?

dick_dastardly said:
leovirgo

I'm having problems with ADVFN streaming charts today. Is it working OK for you ?
It's a horizontal straight line for 20 mins. Finspreads' also suspended internet trades. My Tradestation Futures platform says CBOT data feed is the problem. Thank god I am flat at the moment.

leovirgo said:
It's a horizontal straight line for 20 mins. Finspreads' also suspended internet trades. My Tradestation Futures platform says CBOT data feed is the problem. Thank god I am flat at the moment.

Yes, same thing here. Had alot of vol spikes ( looks like a data error to me ) in that 15 point channel then went dead.

Pat494 said:
Sorry to see some got stopped out yesterday, when without a stop they would have made a tidy profit. It raises that thorny question of stops again.
Personally in an oscillating market I don't even have a very long stop. I know that this is heresy for some BUT if you are able to have some recent historically based factual confidence then imho one doesn't need a stop and just accept the sure fact that occasionally one gets it wrong ( usually an unforeseen fundamental event ). These occasional events should be more than adequately be compensated for by all the plusses.
If one is a little unsure then don't bet against the trend.
Any views ??
The age old debate - everyone seems to have a firm view either for or against and both sides have a case.

Personally I use them. I will use a long stop for a directional swing trade where I am relatively confident of market direction (I have an NDX short that has been running for a week and is just under water at the moment but my long stop has not been challenged yet) and a short stop for a speculative or a day trade. I got stopped out for 30pts yesterday on the Dow. If my stop had been 35pts I would still be in the trade and 24pts ahead now but thats the knowledge of hindsight. The market could have taken off and shot past 11300 and then I'd have been looking at a triple digit loss on a speculative short term trade. If it had been a planned swing trade then I would have used either a long or catastophic stop level but on this occasion it was just a punt. I'd rather be out to fight another day than to have sleepless nights - life is too short !

Yet another spike up on the Dow at 16.44.

This is an extremely wierd afternoon. I don't think I have ever, in all the time I've been trading, seen so many spikes in one day.

It's making feel uncomfortable and that is as good a reason as any to call a halt to any further trading today.

Let's hope tomorrow is back to normal.

ANNANDALE, Va. (MarketWatch) O4/04/06
There was a huge jump on Friday in bullish sentiment among investment newsletter editors. From a contrarian point of view, that's not a good sign. Big increases in bullish sentiment are never good news, of course. But their bearish significance is at least attenuated when the increases come in the face of big jumps in the market itself. But Friday's jump came in the face of a declining market. The Dow Jones Industrial Average, for example, fell 41 points on Friday, or 0.4%, after opening the session higher. A similarly-sized decline was seen in the S&P 500 index.

To get a sense of how much bullish sentiment jumped on Friday, let's turn to the Hulbert Stock Newsletter Sentiment Index (HSNSI). This index reflects the average equity exposure among a group of short-term market timing newsletters tracked by the Hulbert Financial Digest. From Thursday's close to Friday's close, the HSNSI jumped from 48.3% to 60.8%. The HSNSI's historical range is from a high of 79.7% to a low of minus 81.8%. So the current reading is approaching the bullish extreme.

Historically, as contrarian analysts like to remind us, bull markets like to climb a wall of worry. So the current data suggests that the market currently has a fairly weak sentiment foundation. How much weaker? Contrast those situations over the last 20 years in which the HSNSI was as at least as high as it is currently. On average over the subsequent three months following such situations, the Dow Jones Wilshire 500 index produced a 2.0% return. In contrast, the Dow Jones Wilshire produced a three-month return of 4.6% following those other situations in which the HSNSI was below 60.8.

The contrast is even starker for the NASDAQ Composite, which makes sense since OTC stocks are particularly sensitive to changes in investor sentiment. The NASDAQ Composite's average three-month return following HSNSI readings at least as high as the current reading was 0.6%, vs. 6.2% following times when the HSNSI was lower than it is right now. These contrasts are statistically significant at the 95% confidence level.

That doesn't guarantee that the stock market will have be a below-average performer over the next couple of months, needless to say. But it does mean that the sentiment winds will not be in the market's sails if and when it tries to rise.

Thanks for replying on the Stops issue - it's always nice to hear what others think and different opinions too. No criticism was either implied or intended BTW - more a swapping of ideas.........

If you use Reuters feed they had a problem, a lot of charts went down,Finspreads had no price for Wall
St

This market is very much a trader's market at the moment. Holding positions for a number of days can be tricky, when we seem to be in no man's land. Often you have to adapt your trading framework to different types of markets. Today, we do have oil well down from yesterday's highs of $67.90, which is normally a big positive for the market. One issue, does occur to me though - If the oil and oil services sectors (2nd largest weighting on the S&P) is not driving this market upwards, which sector takes up the slack?

Yesterday's sell off took me by surprise. True, the Nasdaq never looked that strong, but to give up all those gains so late in the afternoon seemed odd. Maybe people overdid the buying in the morning, expecting more money coming into the market.

I wonder if we will see the same thing today? Again the Nasdaq advance/decline line is nothing great.

Any guesses on where we will end up by close?

macbonzo said:
This market is very much a trader's market at the moment. Holding positions for a number of days can be tricky, when we seem to be in no man's land. Often you have to adapt your trading framework to different types of markets. Today, we do have oil well down from yesterday's highs of $67.90, which is normally a big positive for the market. One issue, does occur to me though - If the oil and oil services sectors (2nd largest weighting on the S&P) is not driving this market upwards, which sector takes up the slack?

Yesterday's sell off took me by surprise. True, the Nasdaq never looked that strong, but to give up all those gains so late in the afternoon seemed odd. Maybe people overdid the buying in the morning, expecting more money coming into the market.

I wonder if we will see the same thing today? Again the Nasdaq advance/decline line is nothing great.

Any guesses on where we will end up by close?
Todays upswing in the SPX & NDX has been lacklustre compared to yesterday morning. Dow hasen't really attacked resistance at 11250 either after failing to breach this level over the past few days. Can't see what might push it up in the last 90 minutes of trading or what would spark a sell off. It may just hang out in the 11180 - 11230 range until the close.

briefing.com Lately, the equity market has not responded to energy price action in a very consistent manner. For example, both intra-day spikes and late-day slides went under yesterday’s radar, but an extended decline in crude was a reason behind today’s rally.
In the early going, the Treasury market staged a recovery. With that, stocks rose and followed Treasuries’ direction for part of the session. Bond traders lacked a catalyst, however, and demonstrated some caution ahead of Friday’s much anticipated Employment report. At the close of equity trade today, the 10-year was yielding 4.87%. That still leaves it at a 22-month high, but the facts that bonds were less defensive and their yields stood relatively still provided some relief for the stock market.

so yield at 22 month high, oil not far off highs.... better hope for higher yields and higher oil prices by that logic.... the market should make further significant gains

Racer said:
briefing.com Lately, the equity market has not responded to energy price action in a very consistent manner. For example, both intra-day spikes and late-day slides went under yesterday’s radar, but an extended decline in crude was a reason behind today’s rally.
In the early going, the Treasury market staged a recovery. With that, stocks rose and followed Treasuries’ direction for part of the session. Bond traders lacked a catalyst, however, and demonstrated some caution ahead of Friday’s much anticipated Employment report. At the close of equity trade today, the 10-year was yielding 4.87%. That still leaves it at a 22-month high, but the facts that bonds were less defensive and their yields stood relatively still provided some relief for the stock market.

so yield at 22 month high, oil not far off highs.... better hope for higher yields and higher oil prices by that logic.... the market should make further significant gains

Good Evening Racer

Higher interest rates and higher crude will at some point crush this market for sure. The post period following the next FOMC meeting may be the time to regroup and rethink what is about to happen if the FED does not stop right then and there.

However i am very bullish right now and fully expect for the next 30 days a ballistic rally to scare even the most ardent Bears into a full capitulation mode. When that actually happens i'll short the hell out of this market. Till then? I am long and strong with stops at all costs..

Someone somewhere mentioned not using stops? They must simply be nuts! Trading your hard earned money without protection is tant amount to a lunatic running amok in the crazy house................ :rolleyes:

everyone trust me please always use stops......period

have a great restful evening all.

Jerry Olson said:
Good Evening Racer

Higher interest rates and higher crude will at some point crush this market for sure. The post period following the next FOMC meeting may be the time to regroup and rethink what is about to happen if the FED does not stop right then and there.

However i am very bullish right now and fully expect for the next 30 days a ballistic rally to scare even the most ardent Bears into a full capitulation mode. When that actually happens i'll short the hell out of this market. Till then? I am long and strong with stops at all costs..

Someone somewhere mentioned not using stops? They must simply be nuts! Trading your hard earned money without protection is tant amount to a lunatic running amok in the crazy house................ :rolleyes:

everyone trust me please always use stops......period

have a great restful evening all.
Good illustration of the point being made above although this is a rather exaggerated example !

FT.com: Icelandic stock market dives
Tuesday April 4,

The Icelandic stock market on Tuesday suffered its biggest one-day fall in 13 years on fresh concerns about the country's three commercial banks.The benchmark Icex 15 index dropped 4.7 per cent to 5,493.83, the biggest one-day fall on the exchange since February 1993. The decline took the stock market into negative territory for the year.

The three main banks - Kaupthing, Glitnir and Landsbanki - led the market lower on Tuesday after Moody's Investors Service, the credit rating agency, warned about "the increased challenges the Icelandic banks are likely to face in a more difficult operating environment."Shares in Kaupthing fell 5 per cent to IKr761 on Tuesday, Glitnir lost 5.2 per cent to IKr16.4 and Landsbanki ended 6.2 per cent lower at IKr22.5. The three banks accounted for about 45 per cent of the Icex index by the end of last year.Iceland's bonds, shares and currency have come under pressure this year, ending a three-year boom in asset prices. The high growth and rates attracted foreign investors, who borrowed money in markets with low-interest rates and placed them in high-yielding assets such as Iceland's, in a strategy known as the carry trade.

The Icelandic stock market rose more than 400 per cent from the beginning of 2003 to February this year, as the economy grew sharply and companies expanded rapidly abroad through acquisitions. The country's three commerical banks, Baugur, the retail company, and FL Group, the investment group, have all been aggressively buying up companies in Scandinavia and in the UK in the past few years.However, the growth increased corporate debt levels to unprecedented levels, which raised concerns about a possible credit bubble.Inflation has trebled in three years to 4.5 per cent, driven by rising consumer spending and property prices. House prices in Reykjaivk have doubled since the mortage market was deregulated two years ago.

On Tuesday, Moody's placed Kaupthing's bank financial strength rating (BSFR) on review for a possible downgrade, and changed the outlook to "negative" from "stable" for Glitnir and Landsbanki. Meanwhile, the agency affirmed the three banks' main debt ratings.In a separate report, the agency affirmed Iceland's AAA rating with a stable outlook. It said concerns about systemic risk in the banking system had been exaggerated.Moody's said the more difficult operating environment in Iceland might over time lead to a deterioration in asset quality and pressure on earnings, although it added that this impact would likely be muted by the banks' large lending volumes outside Iceland. It said all three rated banks had liquidity profiles that should enable them to withstand the current turbulence in the funding markets. Last month fears about the banks liquidity rise after some US investors declined to extend a five-year bond issue. However, the banks have since accessed the market and raised fresh funds.The Icelandic krona has also been under pressure this year, amid concerns about Iceland's large current account deficit, which the central banks said last week stood at 16.5 per cent of gross domestic product. The krona has dropped 14..5 per cent against the dollar this year to 72.23.Last week, the central bank was forced to raised interest rates by 75 basis points - more than expected - to 11.5 per cent to try to cool down the economy, while also supporting the krona.

Last edited:
This type of speculation could potentially move markets rapidly north on a day that is relatively quiet in terms of economic news (other than crude inventories). Oil has also slipped back a little to just below $66.

April 5 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar dropped the most against the yen in almost three weeks after Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City President Thomas Hoenig suggested policy makers are almost finished raising interest rates. ``We're very close to where we need to be'' on rates, Hoenig said in a speech to business leaders in Kansas City, Missouri. The dollar has climbed 8 percent versus the yen in the past year as the Fed raised rates to 4.75 percent. It today fell against all 16 major currencies that Bloomberg tracks, including the Swiss Franc, British pound and Swedish krona.

``What Hoenig said is almost like the Fed is done,'' said Tomoko Fujii, a senior currency strategist in Tokyo at Bank of America N.A.