Dow 2006

Jerry Olson said:
Good Evening Racer

Someone somewhere mentioned not using stops? They must simply be nuts! Trading your hard earned money without protection is tant amount to a lunatic running amok in the crazy house................ :rolleyes:

I rather hoped for an exchange of trading ideas rather than the abuse throwing of the above poster. Not even a mention of provocative statements such as "stops are for wimps" etc.
I am willing though to conceed that he may well be better informed than I on the inside of " crazy houses ". LOL

Pat494 said:
Jerry Olson said:
Good Evening Racer

Someone somewhere mentioned not using stops? They must simply be nuts! Trading your hard earned money without protection is tant amount to a lunatic running amok in the crazy house................ :rolleyes:

I rather hoped for an exchange of trading ideas rather than the abuse throwing of the above poster. Not even a mention of provocative statements such as "stops are for wimps" etc.
I am willing though to conceed that he may well be better informed than I on the inside of " crazy houses ". LOL

Pat,

Well, it would seem OJ is undoubtedly better informed than you on a great many things...... :rolleyes:

Far from "abusive" (you've obviously had a very sheltered life), I took that to be a rather friendly attempt by a wise old codger (sorry OJ) to point out the error of your ways. With the obvious exceptions of floor based or prop/upstairs trading setups, trading without stops is lunacy.

End Of.....

sandpiper said:
Pat,

Far from "abusive" (you've obviously had a very sheltered life), I took that to be a rather friendly attempt by a wise old codger (sorry OJ) to point out the error of your ways. With the obvious exceptions of floor based or prop/upstairs trading setups, trading without stops is lunacy.

End Of.....
Whilst I would not trade indices without stops (though I sometimes trade sub 100p stocks without stops or just token stops) I don't think that anyone can justifiably make a blanket statement that trading without stops is lunacy ! It depends what instrument you trade, over what timescale you trade it, how much money is involved and how much money you have got !

We all have our own individual strategies and trading ranges and our specific financial situations are all different too. I would advise index traders always to have a stop - even if it's only a catastrophic long stop - but some day traders don't use them and manually control their trades. Personally I would still use a stop, even in those circumstances, but I can understand why some people don't and I do not regard them as lunatics. I think FC sometimes trades without stops (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong).

Incidentally what are "floor based or prop/upstairs trading setups" and why are they the exception with regard to stops ?

Last edited:
OK OK lets Not have a discussion about stops.
Obviously some sort of Holy Cow of some traders.
So I'll say no more.
As Gallileo might have said 300 years ago - closed minds are rarely right or interesting.

Did anyone, by chance, see a split second 20 point jump in the Dow (11200 - 20) at 15.55? No evidence of it on my S&P futures screen.

macbonzo said:
Did anyone, by chance, see a split second 20 point jump in the Dow (11200 - 20) at 15.55? No evidence of it on my S&P futures screen.

Yep, CMC have it at 15.57 up from 11,196 to 11,216.

Glad i was out of my trade by then.

millsy500 said:
Treasury Secretary Snow says Friday's job data 'will be good numbers,' Reuters reports.

Is that good numbers as in bad numbers... because if they are good then they are bad... ;)

Pat494 said:
Jerry Olson said:
Good Evening Racer

Dear Pat

sorry if you felt my general statement was abusive to you...it was not pointed at you or anyone

what is was is a must do for scalpers...and really all types of traders

just my humble opinion... :eek:

Racer said:
Is that good numbers as in bad numbers... because if they are good then they are bad... ;)
LOL: I think that is too simple for most people to understand - it's far more complicated than that :cheesy:

sandpiper said:
Pat,

Well, it would seem OJ is undoubtedly better informed than you on a great many things...... :rolleyes:

End Of.....

Hi Sand

i assume we know each other.......................... :p OJ?

Jerry Olson said:
Dear Pat

sorry if you felt my general statement was abusive to you...it was not pointed at you or anyone

what is was is a must do for scalpers...and really all types of traders

just my humble opinion... :eek:

OK Jerry no problem - must be all this Spring sunshine or something LOL

kriesau said:
Whilst I would not trade indices without stops (though I sometimes trade sub 100p stocks without stops or just token stops) I don't think that anyone can justifiably make a blanket statement that trading without stops is lunacy ! It depends what instrument you trade, over what timescale you trade it, how much money is involved and how much money you have got !

We all have our own individual strategies and trading ranges and our specific financial situations are all different too. I would advise index traders always to have a stop - even if it's only a catastrophic long stop - but some day traders don't use them and manually control their trades. Personally I would still use a stop, even in those circumstances, but I can understand why some people don't and I do not regard them as lunatics. I think FC sometimes trades without stops (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong).

Incidentally what are "floor based or prop/upstairs trading setups" and why are they the exception with regard to stops ?

kriesau,

Floor based traders (not that there are that many left now) and upstairs/prop traders (effectively off-floor locals for the most part) by and large, have a far better feel for order-flow than most of us due to floor-presence and/or contacts on/off the floor. They also have the commission structure and discipline to be able to scratch and reverse a lot of trades if there is no support for their position (I'm not suggesting that all on/off floor locals are successfull by the way). "Stops", in the sense we use the term would obviously be a pain in the backside with that style of trading.

As you say, a decision on whether to use physical, resting, stops or mental ones can only be based on our style of trading and an honest appraisal of our ability to be able to execute those "mental" stops under duress. Nevertheless, a stop, whether it be mental or resting in the market/on your PC, is still a stop.

I think FC's setups that you refer to are time based rather than price based (likewise, I stand to be corrected). I don't think it matters what you use to determine the validity/invalidity of your position, i.e. time, price, internals, flow, etc, as long as it isn't "how much more can I afford to lose before I give this up". OK, It does depend on how much money you've got, i.e. you can almost always be correct if you've got extremely deep pockets, but I don't think that's really a viable course of action for most of us.

As for your penny stocks, If nothing else, your stop would be at £0.00 wouldn't it?. So, your loss is limited, unlike indices (as you quite rightly point out).

Hi all, just to let everyone know,
I saw a 20pt sike in CMC's DOW price yesterday too. I had just put in a sell order for half my position at 11176 - they re-quoted me, as they seem to do more lately, and I refused it on principle, which is something I always do! ;)On checking the real charts - nothing had happened at all, in fact they looked even better. So I eventually sold half at 11188. :LOL:
Funny thing was that their re-quote was exactly the same as the original sell order of 11176. :rolleyes: Figure that one out if you can?
I can't remember the time exactly, but it was around 10:45 EST.
Cheers
Q

Matt321 said:
I can't remember now-----will the Dow trade Good Friday(14th) and Easter Monday(17th)
Good Friday is a holiday in the US and markets are normally closed.
Easter Monday is not and markets are all open and trade normal hours.