Dow 2006

but is this a good time to get out of an ill thought short or the time to add to the existing brilliant short?

edited: I closed half of my shorts, they were open too early and I am not 100% sure that it's turned for good, the market has a habit of faking it.

mark twain uk said:
but is this a good time to get out of an ill thought short or the time to add to the existing brilliant short?

edited: I closed half of my shorts, they were open too early and I am not 100% sure that it's turned for good, the market has a habit of faking it.

Thinking the same thing here. I covered small short at breakeven. Still running the main short :cheesy:

right...

trade exited at b/e at 10964... :(

now long again from 10964 until next thursday close..

stop below 10,500

FC

http://www.treas.gov/tic/exhibitsc&d.pdf

and the figures since then showed China and Japan reducing.....

from the last figs...
Japan remained the largest holder of U.S. Treasury securities. Its
holdings fell in October to $681.6 billion from $687.3 billion in
September.

China remained the second-largest holder of U.S. Treasurys, with its
stake falling to $247.6 billion from $252.2 billion the previous month.

The U.K. remained in third place as its holdings rose to $187.1
billion from $182.4 billion.

BTW the latest figures are due next week

Last edited:
Danger time for America
Jan 12th 2006
From The Economist print edition
The economy that Alan Greenspan is about to hand over is in a much less healthy state than is popularly assumed

Ludwig von Mises, an Austrian economist of the early 20th century, nicely sum up the illusion: “It may sometimes be expedient for a man to heat the stove with his furniture. But he should not delude himself by believing that he has discovered a wonderful new method of heating his premises.”

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5385434

Interesting piece by Martin Feldstein in the FT on 09th January 2006 about the dollar.

http://jessel.100megsfree3.com/Feldstein.png

Feldstein is professor of Economics at Harvard University and President of the US National Bureau of Economic Research. He was shortlisted as a candidate to succeed Alan Greenspan as chairman of The Federal Reserve.

The article is in the form of a jpeg, so the text does not copy.

Regards

Futures coming off quite a bit. Looks like the price of oil $65.40 and concern over IBM's figures are putting a dampener on things.

indeed.. but im still holding my long..

i reckon they are going to take the markets up into expiry on friday..

FC

FetteredChinos said:
indeed.. but im still holding my long..

i reckon they are going to take the markets up into expiry on friday..

FC

I agree with you. I think Q4 results will be OK. Do you reckon we will hold 10900 today?

NIK down nearly 3% after the fall the day before as well hasn't helped

not sure about 900 holding..

would be surprised to see them take it a bit below to squeeze out a few longs...

Looks like a good Buy day. Got in at 10907. Will be tolerant as long as it won't go below 10890.

gap downs early in the week usually are good buy days...heading for a weekly high on wednesday/thursday...

FetteredChinos said:
gap downs early in the week usually are good buy days...heading for a weekly high on wednesday/thursday...
CPI coming out on 18th tomorrow. Would it have negative impacts? In the last couple of months the impacts ranged from neutral to negative.

:D

and just trigged an Oops Long trade at 920...

no idea as to the CPI... the only consistent pattern with news i have found is that Dow, FTSE, and GBP/USD ALL tend to rise on NFP day..

pretty much every other news day is a 50/50 chance..

FC

Me too (919) , target for the day is Friday's close, although looking a little hesitant at the moment.