DB an Geo's Smallcap Smorgasbord

not that i want to criticise geo, as my ignorance of all this stuff is quite shocking...but, 50/50 doesn't seem like a big advantage.

i would have thought you could achieve 50/50 by using a confirmed trendline rejection, or channels?

obviously i'm not saying it doesn't work (i haven't read the book yet!!), but it just seems like a complicated way of achieving a 50% probability...what do you think?

If we look at Amec a little earlier on, the correction doesn't give a buy trigger in September because there are not 3 down days - the last red down day is actually an inside bar. However, if you're using S/R levels like Sir Minch, then you would be long with a percieved RBS on the break above the 2nd September I suppose.

I've marked a couple of other signals that occur in late Oct with blue arrows. Again, on false signal, and one good.

Attachments

• rivalland_swing_entry2.jpg
    rivalland_swing_entry2.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
not that i want to criticise geo, as my ignorance of all this stuff is quite shocking...but, 50/50 doesn't seem like a big advantage.

i would have thought you could achieve 50/50 by using a confirmed trendline rejection, or channels?

obviously i'm not saying it doesn't work (i haven't read the book yet!!), but it just seems like a complicated way of achieving a 50% probability...what do you think?

To be honest you shouldn't quote me on the 50/50 thing, I could be wrong. But yeah, if it's true, then it's not great. I will have to do more backtesting.

Either way, it's a mechanical method, with blunt edges. I suppose adding in S/R Levels, fibs, TL's, etc is the way to go to make this more sophisticated, which is what I shall try and do.

Umm, you got to be quick with these shares! :)

i know, i don't think i have the best attitude for trading smallcaps...if i miss something because i'm AFK or working i get belligerent and won't sell until its 'bloody well gone back up again' :( :cheesy:

like i can scold a mining company for not behaving properly :LOL:

i know, i don't think i have the best attitude for trading smallcaps...if i miss something because i'm AFK or working i get belligerent and won't sell until its 'bloody well gone back up again' :( :cheesy:

like i can scold a mining company for not behaving properly :LOL:

It's the same old thing matey, when to exit! Is there an answer?

It's the same old thing matey, when to exit! Is there an answer?

possibly yes.

a realistic daily target. pts or money.

if price has blasted through what would be your achieved daily target, then you're allowed to place your stop @ your target and let it run.

you see, without a daily/weekly target...how do you know when you've finished your days/weeks work?!

We're already half way to having the longest thread in this section! lol - do I sound competitive?

Rock on everyone :) Keep posting!

Hey Geo, thanks for the work you have put in, describing Rivallands method. :smart:

It does indeed give some decent entries looking at your Amec example, the only problem I have with the strictly mechanical approach is the missed entry at the beginning of Sept, this is why I prefer to go with the S/R levels, and to be a bit more discretionary with my entries around these zones.

But if a Rivalland set up occurs in confluence with these levels, then its a great trigger, and gives added confidence that you have turned the corner and confirmed the pivotal point.

I suppose it boils down to what suits the individual, is a balance between a mechanical/Discretionary approach a workable system.

Hey Geo, thanks for the work you have put in, describing Rivallands method. :smart:

It does indeed give some decent entries looking at your Amec example, the only problem I have with the strictly mechanical approach is the missed entry at the beginning of Sept, this is why I prefer to go with the S/R levels, and to be a bit more discretionary with my entries around these zones.

But if a Rivalland set up occurs in confluence with these levels, then its a great trigger, and gives added confidence that you have turned the corner and confirmed the pivotal point.

I suppose it boils down to what suits the individual, is a balance between a mechanical/Discretionary approach a workable system.

thank you both for your input re rivalland. :smart:

possibly yes.

a realistic daily target. pts or money.

if price has blasted through what would be your achieved daily target, then you're allowed to place your stop @ your target and let it run.

you see, without a daily/weekly target...how do you know when you've finished your days/weeks work?!

Hey Dr B, I agree with your comment about price bursting thro a profit target level, why not squeeze the bugger for more, the difficult bit is when price dithers at the target, its a work in progress for me.

If we look at Amec a little earlier on, the correction doesn't give a buy trigger in September because there are not 3 down days - the last red down day is actually an inside bar.

so a lower low that happens to be a green candle isn't considered a down day...that right?

it has to be both a lower low AND a red candle?

and if you have a green candle (in a down trend) this doesn't negate the count and cause a 'reset to zero', you just skip it and resume the 3 count for any new lower red candles?

Hey Dr B, I agree with your comment about price bursting thro a profit target level, why not squeeze the bugger for more, the difficult bit is when price dithers at the target, its a work in progress for me.

i'm setting some rules as i have no real plan at the moment.

i'm setting a + 10% sell limit on each position. if its really on the move (or if my initial target is greater than + 10%) then i'll place my stop on the 10%.

if its hovering i don't know what to do.

i could either close the position. set a stop at + 5%. or close half the position and leave a very tight stop...i'll have to come back to that one!

RGM has already been at +20% already and i've allowed that to pass by.

i'm also setting a weekly monetary target. this would equate to 20% of one of my average position sizes.

hello there
just arrived (olives =€€€ lol)
I have to concentrate in USA preparing my "plan of action" :D
so will come to see you all later.....

hope you all had a nice morning ££££££ (Xmas getting near :p)

hello there
just arrived (olives =€€€ lol)
I have to concentrate in USA preparing my "plan of action" :D
so will come to see you all later.....

hope you all had a nice morning ££££££ (Xmas getting near :p)

good luck with the US markets today ciao.

its veterans day so i'm assuming it'll be light volume.

good luck with the US markets today ciao.

its veterans day so i'm assuming it'll be light volume.

Thanks for that news dr.B....I didn't know
I just try if I can scalp something but not in the mood for trading (negative start!!!)

no one here trade in USA?

so a lower low that happens to be a green candle isn't considered a down day...that right?

it has to be both a lower low AND a red candle?

and if you have a green candle (in a down trend) this doesn't negate the count and cause a 'reset to zero', you just skip it and resume the 3 count for any new lower red candles?

Yes Yes and Yes - but I have to admit I haven't read the book for a while, so I could be wrong :)