Day traders making 50+% returns per month lets talk money managment

You asked a valid question which people have chosen to ignore, instead to focus on your performance or results.

Whether you are or not is irrelevant in my opinion but any mention on here will certainly bring out others to challenge your claims.

You may be taking a perfectly good thread off track by getting too much into your success,returns or strategy. Its your method and it works for you. Thats all that matters . Don't get too caught up in trying to prove something here.

Sometimes you have to be a little rude and ignore people :)

This thread just highlights the shame of things here on t2w. 139 posts of complete nonsense with members coming out of the woodwork to post, yet a thread with a good topic or relevant information barely gets 20 posts.

Peter

Thats right, if you title your thread "I made 5000% in one week" there will be 50 people viewing it in 2 minutes. If you title it "forex is a rip off you'll never make a penny" nobody will ever bother to look at it. Says it all about the get rich quick culture of people who are drawn to FX and trading in general.

OK here is an open question to try and steer things in a positive direction.

Who is willing to share an example of a trading day results.

lets keep it in percentages to keep things simple..... the maximum loss you are willing to lose each day will be the base of your calculation

example.....

if i had a $100,000 account and in a tading day you risk X amount of money on Y amount of trades.

If you have 10 trades at 1% per trade then your max risk for the day is 10%

if you cleared a profit of $5000 for the day then your return to risk is 50%...Basically we are looking at expectancy. The best way to actaully measure a strategy is by its expectancy, irrelavent of the monetary value it generates. IMO.

Then other measures like...

average adverse excursion
max trade loss
ave trade loss
trade freqency
ave mean distribution of your winners......etc

ANY TAKERS?
:?:

thats right, if you title your thread "i made 5000% in one week" there will be 50 people viewing it in 2 minutes. If you title it "forex is a rip off you'll never make a penny" nobody will ever bother to look at it. Says it all about the get rich quick culture of people who are drawn to fx and trading in general.

true

Its a bit complicated cos I trade around 10 systems, and the stats vary a bit, plus I split them by long and short trades but typically:

Average adverse excursion: -7.8 Pips
Max trade loss -23.9 Pips
Avg trade loss -14.5 Pips
Trade frequency -2-3 Trades per day

Im not sure average MAE is of much use to be honest, (or measuring it in pips for that matter)

You wouldnt believe how much work I've done on evaluating various MM strategies, but FWIW I always come back to a simple 1-2% fixed fraction. If you aint got a pot to **** in or you fancy a punt, then optimal F has merit, in the same way buying a lottery ticket might, but if volatility in returns and drawdowns are the issue (and for most investors it is) then you have to be a bit more conservative.

Not sure how this helps you.

Its a bit complicated cos I trade around 10 systems, and the stats vary a bit, plus I split them by long and short trades but typically:

Average adverse excursion: -7.8 Pips
Max trade loss -23.9 Pips
Avg trade loss -14.5 Pips
Trade frequency -2-3 Trades per day

Im not sure average MAE is of much use to be honest, (or measuring it in pips for that matter)

You wouldnt believe how much work I've done on evaluating various MM strategies, but FWIW I always come back to a simple 1-2% fixed fraction. If you aint got a pot to **** in or you fancy a punt, then optimal F has merit, in the same way buying a lottery ticket might, but if volatility in returns and drawdowns are the issue (and for most investors it is) then you have to be a bit more conservative.

Not sure how this helps you.

Hello The Hare

Thanks.....It wasnt about helping, it was just about opening up the channels of communication.

Your numbers seem cool, but you didnt mention your positive expectancy?

Yes I think you are correct about the MM as a whole...I have also tested MM strategies and always conclude that same as you. For my day trading i actually trade 0.5% fixed fraction.

The MAE was just an example.

Do each of your ten systems give you 2-3 trades a day?
Do you manually trade the ten systems :-0? if so kudos to you!
whats your general style/approach to the markets?

ps Thanks for sharing(y)

Spirit - you have to understand that every month we get some deluded newbie spouting off how good they are with ridiculous unsubstantiated claims (and 50% per month based on 1 months paper trading is exactly such a claim)

We've seen it time and time again, and without exception they all disappear after about 2 months when their account starts losing money.

Now you're going to respond by telling us that your system works and can't fail, blah blah blah but those of us who have actually been around for a few years know that the market does not give away it's riches so easily and readily as you claim. You are trying to yield 12,974% a year on your account. Look at that figure.. you are on another planet if you think you can do that without significant risk.

My prediction is that as soon as you start trading for real this thread will go quiet a few weeks after and this time next year everyone will have forgotten all about you.

:clap:
Spirit - you have to understand that every month we get some deluded newbie spouting off how good they are with ridiculous unsubstantiated claims (and 50% per month based on 1 months paper trading is exactly such a claim)

We've seen it time and time again, and without exception they all disappear after about 2 months when their account starts losing money.

Now you're going to respond by telling us that your system works and can't fail, blah blah blah but those of us who have actually been around for a few years know that the market does not give away it's riches so easily and readily as you claim. You are trying to yield 12,974% a year on your account. Look at that figure.. you are on another planet if you think you can do that without significant risk.

My prediction is that as soon as you start trading for real this thread will go quiet a few weeks after and this time next year everyone will have forgotten all about you.

NO IM LEAVING TRADE2WIN NOW...WHY WAIT

YOU LOT ARE ****ING IDIOTS....HOGGUMS YOUR A ****!

I never said anything about having a system....AND I NEVER SAID IT COULDNT FAIL

I JUST SAID I KNOW WHAT MY PARAMETERS AND IM COMFORTABLE WITH THEM

YOU IDIOTS DONT HAVE A CLUE.......YOU THINK IM CRAZY FOR AMBITION...**** OFF AND GO FIND SOME FOR YOURSELF RATHER THAN TRYING TO **** ON MINE.

IM DONE ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

BYE BYE

:clap: I'm different, I can’t base what I'm gonna be off a what everybody isn’t :clap:
Jay-Z ("So Ambitious", BluePrint3)

I don't get it, if you wanted to talk money management why didnt you just ask a few questions. You cant really expect people to warm to you if you make a thread about talking money management and then waste a load of paper just justifying your existence, pride comes before a fall and all that.

If he starts with $10,000 and makes 50% a month he will have $155 million in 2 years. Anybody that thinks that will happen is a fool.

Blah blah blah

You will have no-one believing you because all the results are trades posted at the END of the day. Anyone can get a 100% win rate doing that.:LOL:

Post your trades and underpinning strategy BEFORE each trade and we can all check your real results.

IF YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THEN YOU ARE NOT A REAL TRADER.

I hope I didn't p*ss him off by asking for some reality-based trading :eek:
He was such a nice boy.

I never said anything about having a system....AND I NEVER SAID IT COULDNT FAIL

I JUST SAID I KNOW WHAT MY PARAMETERS AND IM COMFORTABLE WITH THEM

YOU IDIOTS DONT HAVE A CLUE.......YOU THINK IM CRAZY FOR AMBITION...**** OFF AND GO FIND SOME FOR YOURSELF RATHER THAN TRYING TO **** ON MINE.

IM DONE ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

BYE BYE

:clap: I'm different, I can’t base what I'm gonna be off a what everybody isn’t :clap:
Jay-Z ("So Ambitious", BluePrint3)

You can thank me all later.....

I won't argue with you there.

I never said anything about having a system....

I have recently got my DT strategy effective enough to quit my job and trade for a living. I use a formula of Moving Averages, Chart Patterns, Breakouts, Swings, and Trends.

Sounds like a system to me.

AND I NEVER SAID IT COULDNT FAIL

I often have 15 straight losers and it doesn’t bother me one bit. The losing streak I listed above is very rare and i have a lot less outright losers, however i have accounted for worst case scenario.