Currency Trading (Nov 13th > Nov 17th)

Where will GBPUSD close at end of week?

• Higher:150 or more pips higher than last Fridays close

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Same: Less than 150 pips from last Fridays close.

• Lower: 150 pips or more lower than last Fridays close.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Not bovvered - I go where the waves send me

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Most of my trades last 30 minutes or less (scalp)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Most of my trades last 2 hours or less (session open related)

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Most of my trades last 8 hours or less (intra-session)

• Most of my trades last 24 hours or less ( daily pattern)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Most of my trades last more than one day (swing)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Coincidentally I was thinking about the Christmas period last night (trading, not festivities, bah humbug!). I've had a look at the graphs of last year and there certainly were some good ranges. Volume will be a bit thin but that just tends to mean that you get faster moves, it shouldn't effect the breakout strategies.

Last edited:
Baruch said:
rav700,

Are you still trading with Tom and Felix?

I was with them for quite a bit of time to be precise 2 months......Learnt what I had to learn....Got burnt where I had to get burnt and gave up trading the news for major reports still do minor reports though and enjoy it as well.......

Another trader that I know still trades with him ........he is doing alright out of it

rav700 said:
I was with them for quite a bit of time to be precise 2 months......Learnt what I had to learn....Got burnt where I had to get burnt and gave up trading the news for major reports still do minor reports though and enjoy it as well.......

Another trader that I know still trades with him ........he is doing alright out of it

Why not trade the major news? I suppose they make the biggest moves?

PS. Did you get in before the spikes, when trading with Tom and Felix?

Offshore Trader said:
Coincidentally I was thinking about the Christmas period last night (trading, not festivities, bah humbug!). I've had a look at the graphs of last year and there certainly were some good ranges. Volume will be a bit thin but that just tends to mean that you get faster moves, it shouldn't effect the breakout strategies.

Would this be any help to you offshore trader....

Attachments

• zGBP.gif
    zGBP.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 207
rav700 said:
Would this be any help to you offshore trader....

Thanks. After working out what it meant, it makes me think that it is worth trading all the way through. I think that equity markets which rely on volume are quiet whereas currencies can still see plenty of movement.

ChowClown said:
Lots of setups out there, when you look for 'em. Is 'Grail' within your weaponry? :)
Hi chow... sorry for the delay to answer, I haven´t been trading too much this week, lots of distractions going on for me.

I do use the 20 ema in all my timeframes, but don´t trade that "grail setup" as my core thing... it never looked that consistent to me.

Baruch said:
Why not trade the major news? I suppose they make the biggest moves?

PS. Did you get in before the spikes, when trading with Tom and Felix?

I could hit 7 out of 10 Trades but the problems I had been facing were the spreads were killing me on major news... and all I can say is that with tom it is all down to timing and somehow he times it right.......

Baruch I would like to know a bit more about the way you trade big ben...it seems to be a bit different then my method......Are you trading it consistently ..Thanks in advance Rav

Last edited:
ChowClown said:
...my entries for today haven't been filled yet. Buy 8878, sell 8825.

Good luck.

Hi chow clown well it was an alright day for me yesterday had one loss when I was short @ 53 and that put me straight into a negative mood....but then I went long and cut for a loss of about 5 pips.....and it went over 40 pips .......stupidity is a requirement for me....but later went short again at 07 so all in all a very average day of trading for me........

How is going for you today.???? :D

I am looking for a slow leakage to 8800 and then a shoot back straight up to the 8850 region and to stay there for the rest of the trading day......

rav700 said:
I could hit 7 out of 10 Trades but the problems I had been facing were the spreads were killing me on major news... and all I can say is that with tom it is all down to timing and somehow times it right.......

Baruch I would like to know a bit more about the way you trade big ben...it seems to be a bit different then my method......Are you trading it consistently ..Thanks in advance Rav

Yes, the brokers are not making it easy to trade the news, but we can use forex futures. But it must be very nice to get in before the spikes.

I am trading Big Ben in my own and very simple way: I just trade the first BO after London opens. I trade it every morning, and I take every signal. Today and yesterday the Big Ben signals was not good, but I got out at b/e because I move my stop to b/e very quickly.

City Bound said:
It's the 50% retrace of 11th Oct -> 11th Nov. So it's decision time for cable.

I so want to go short............................but...I will wait for a confirmation signal......All Timeframes showing upwards for me currently...... :rolleyes:

rav700 said:
I so want to go short............................but...I will wait for a confirmation signal......All Timeframes showing upwards for me currently...... :rolleyes:

Same, I'm going to wait for it to break before going short. Not sure what price will be the signal that it won't break though.

rav700 said:

Hi Rav,

well, i see a possible descending triangle, but I wouldnt put my money on it. honestly dont know if this should break today and instead form another pattern (stay as a range) monday morning.

jacinto

edit: if it is a triangle, it is due to break in the next hours. doubt it will.

rav700 said:
Hi chow clown well it was an alright day for me yesterday had one loss when I was short @ 53 and that put me straight into a negative mood....but then I went long and cut for a loss of about 5 pips.....and it went over 40 pips .......stupidity is a requirement for me....but later went short again at 07 so all in all a very average day of trading for me........

How is going for you today.???? :D

I am looking for a slow leakage to 8800 and then a shoot back straight up to the 8850 region and to stay there for the rest of the trading day......
Hi Rav, a losing day for me yesterday, but i'm not downhearted! (much). Gradually knocking off the edges of the trading emotions perhaps. Today, well nothing on cable so far, beginning to flirt a bit with DOW/FTSE and Vedanta! (had an EOD sell signal on VED 13th Nov).

13:30 cable - we might see a reasonable break of this morning's pattern for a while, and some continuation would be really handy to end the week on!

rav700 said:

How do you trade Big Ben?

JER08 said:
Hi Chow, thought you were long?
Hi JER, am now on the news. :rolleyes: (in with one broker atm)....expecting a full risk loss on this trade now....but if DOW can follow FTSE's lead, might be happy days...keep brain in neutral and just trade the plan.

Last edited:
JER08 said:
I've gone long cable 8875 early on.

Oanda printed 74 at 10:15, my order was at 78.

Good luck with this one, hoping to see it blast through 8900, doubt it somehow though....