Best Thread CMC Markets owner answers your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW, what a lovely surprise to wake up to this morning!!!!

You will corner the market at this rate!!

Cheers Peter!!

Has EUR/CHF had a shave too - would certainly look a lot better for having one...!

hi 4x4
I presume you are not serious. our minimum spread is 2 and the under line market is around 3.5 to 4. please leave us something so we can eat.

:)
pc
Has EUR/CHF had a shave too - would certainly look a lot better for having one...!

hi 4x4
I presume you are not serious. our minimum spread is 2 and the under line market is around 3.5 to 4. please leave us something so we can eat.

:)
pc

LOL, you poor thing - I know times are hard and I'm sure you're close to starving but I've seen it widen to at least 12 - when you know who kept it at 4!

Perhaps I'll have to start watching GBP/JPY instead, at least your spread is very competitive on that market.

Nice , it is very clear where we are headed = zero spreads , matter of time only :) , i don't see why not , if most traders lose anyway marketmakers should make money even with zero spreads doesn't make a difference for them ...

Hi 4x4

yes down to 0.7 pip spreads now so we have to watch the pennies. ha ha.

I just checked our web site.
Eur/Chf minimum spread is 2.00
for period 28/8 to 02/09 our daily typical spread was 4.078
so not quite sure where you get the 12 pips from.
I will get the boys to look at it.

tks pc

LOL, you poor thing - I know times are hard and I'm sure you're close to starving but I've seen it widen to at least 12 - when you know who kept it at 4!

Perhaps I'll have to start watching GBP/JPY instead, at least your spread is very competitive on that market.

Hi tar,
I do not agree. I think that it is important your spread bet provider offers spreads in their prices as that way all prices are based on the markets. If you trade and it is against their position then they can make their spread by covering the deal. If you take spreads out of the quotation then the spread bet providers spreads will always be based on their positions which ultimately might not suit a lot of people especially if the herd is following the markets.

Not saying spreads will not go lower but nothing wrong in being competitive.
hope you are enjoying your one pip spreads with your current provider. if you have money to throw away good luck.

cheers pc

Nice , it is very clear where we are headed = zero spreads , matter of time only :) , i don't see why not , if most traders lose anyway marketmakers should make money even with zero spreads doesn't make a difference for them ...

Hi tar,
I do not agree. I think that it is important your spread bet provider offers spreads in their prices as that way all prices are based on the markets. If you trade and it is against their position then they can make their spread by covering the deal. If you take spreads out of the quotation then the spread bet providers spreads will always be based on their positions which ultimately might not suit a lot of people especially if the herd is following the markets.

Not saying spreads will not go lower but nothing wrong in being competitive.
hope you are enjoying your one pip spreads with your current provider. if you have money to throw away good luck.

cheers pc

Hey

We the traders who will gain from this competition :D , SB providers dont cover every trade ( unless they are STP or something like that ) and most of the time dont cover at all , you hedge your overall risk in certain market/markets if it reached a certain threshold so really it doesnt make a difference for you , believe me spreads are going much lower and zero spreads is not out of the equation or lets say near zero something like 0.1 points why not if most traders will lose anyway , its matter of time mark my words :)

hi tar,
thank you for your appraisal. Not quite sure why it applies to you because you like trading on one pip spreads. seems you have money to burn

good luck with your trading

pc

Hey

We the traders who will gain from this competition :D , SB providers dont cover every trade ( unless they are STP or something like that ) and most of the time dont cover at all , you hedge your overall risk in certain market/markets if it reached a certain threshold so really it doesnt make a difference for you , believe me spreads are going much lower and zero spreads is not out of the equation or lets say near zero something like 0.1 points why not if most traders will lose anyway , its matter of time mark my words :)

hi tar,
thank you for your appraisal. Not quite sure why it applies to you because you like trading on one pip spreads. seems you have money to burn

good luck with your trading

pc

No i want zero spreads with instant execution and no requotes :cheesy:

if most traders lose anyway marketmakers should make money even with zero spreads doesn't make a difference really ...

As a group, they lose predominantly because of the spread, and thats a very important point, without the cost of spreads, most wouldnt lose at the rate that they do, they'd just hover around breakeven. The bookies edge is extremely significant.

It just seams like common sense to me that if spreads reduce then there has to be some alternative mechanism to compensate the bookie, and thats generally going to result in even more manipulation and shinnanagins. I suppose you could argue that as the bookie is able to juice their clients through alternative revenue generating activties, e.g charging for deposits and withdrawals, various administrative costs, interest payments, charging for guarenteed stops, or god forbid even offering training, etc then I suppose that there is a commercial argument that you can retain or improve profits by taking a smaller slice of a larger pie, and that offering lower spreads leads to a larger customer base.

However there has to be an optimum point at which the reduction in the bookies edge by lowering spreads any futher offsets the additional profits from increased turnover. Whilst it doesnt really matter to the average punter having a dabble, it surely has to result in problems for traders once this point is reached.

As the average punter is oblivious to the detrimental effects of spread it probably makes more sense to keep spreads high, and offer sign up bonus's, or a free smart phone or ipad or other inducement (the punter gives the bookie real cash, which they exchange for 2X virtual cash, which the punter then goes on to lose twice as quickly as they previously would have !)

hi the hare,

Many thanks for your posting. You raise a very good point that the wider the spread the harder it is for clients to make money. Where I think you have missed a fundamental point is efficiency savings.
CMC Markets have invested a lot of money in our pricing and execution infrastructure.
We do not need dealers to quote prices, execution trades and to a certain extent manage risk. the whole risk management is a lot easier and at some stage in the future it will be fully automated. There are clear efficiencies here and we have achieved massive savings through our investment in technology. There is still some room to go and I suppose that will result in lower spreads to clients but we can do this because
we can, through technology efficiency.

Where we have done well is that we have invested heavily in technology and it is up to the competition to catch up. You have seen a similar effect in banking whereby we can now deal electronically with our banks to hedge our clients trades. It is all done electronically and banks have really driven down their spreads so why not the spread bet industry.

I think there are good times ahead for clients.

cheers pc

As a group, they lose predominantly because of the spread, and thats a very important point, without the cost of spreads, most wouldnt lose at the rate that they do, they'd just hover around breakeven. The bookies edge is extremely significant.

It just seams like common sense to me that if spreads reduce then there has to be some alternative mechanism to compensate the bookie, and thats generally going to result in even more manipulation and shinnanagins. I suppose you could argue that as the bookie is able to juice their clients through alternative revenue generating activties, e.g charging for deposits and withdrawals, various administrative costs, interest payments, charging for guarenteed stops, or god forbid even offering training, etc then I suppose that there is a commercial argument that you can retain or improve profits by taking a smaller slice of a larger pie, and that offering lower spreads leads to a larger customer base.

However there has to be an optimum point at which the reduction in the bookies edge by lowering spreads any futher offsets the additional profits from increased turnover. Whilst it doesnt really matter to the average punter having a dabble, it surely has to result in problems for traders once this point is reached.

As the average punter is oblivious to the detrimental effects of spread it probably makes more sense to keep spreads high, and offer sign up bonus's (the punter gives the bookie real cash, which they exchange for 2X virtual cash, which the punter then goes on to lose twice as quickly as they previously would have !)

Hi PC,

Do you ever foresee a time when CMC's platform efficiency would allow you to offer free guaranteed stops - this would really get everyone's juices flowing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.