Best Thread Capital Spreads

I'm clearly preaching to those who are emotionally committed to spread betting rather than taking an objective view. not one person has come up with one advantage of spread betting over proper, dma access.

How about:

Lower stake (= contract size)
Lower margin
Guaranteed stops
No tax on profit
Smaller spreads (in some cases) and no commission
Ease of opening account
Dealing with company that will at least try to offer customer service and isn't on the other side of the world, with your funds

What i know i see from people on these boards complaining and from looking into the possibility of opening an account and then rejecting the idea because it is clear the handicap is way too large to overcome the benefits. therefore, my view is not from ignorance, but research. there are 100's of things in life we know to be dumb ideas - we dont need experience to see they are dumb ideas.

I'm clearly preaching to those who are emotionally committed to spread betting rather than taking an objective view. not one person has come up with one advantage of spread betting over proper, dma access. all you have done is attack someone who thinks that spread betting is the biggest scam going.

How does this tie up with your comments elsewhere?

"Default Re: Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4
Good things on them.

1. FSA regulated
2. If you're from the UK, tax free spread betting is very nice to have
3. The minimum stake of 10p/pip is significantly smaller than other spread bet brokers
4. The MetaTrader 4 platform is popular with beginners, and allows automated trading

And where is the research to show that trading in jurisdictions without SB is easier and more profitable because of the absence of the naughty SB companies?

SB gets a bad name because any amateur can afford to try it and people think it's easy. The fact that most people lose money at SB doesn't mean it's impossible to win and it doesn't mean it's a crooked game.

Try it out and learn.

And where is the research to show that trading in jurisdictions without SB is easier and more profitable because of the absence of the naughty SB companies?

SB gets a bad name because any amateur can afford to try it and people think it's easy. The fact that most people lose money at SB doesn't mean it's impossible to win and it doesn't mean it's a crooked game.

Try it out and learn.
Yes I agree, you can say the same thing about trading DMA, not any easier. I would say as a newbie you probably will get hammered trading DMA.

How about:

Lower margin
Guaranteed stops
No tax on profit
Ease of opening account
Dealing with company that will at least try to offer customer service and isn't on the other side of the world, with your funds

Agreed.

How about:

Lower margin
Guaranteed stops
No tax on profit
Ease of opening account

Yes well said Ross.

Can I just say I don't like the new charts- well aware of sensatus and the facilities they offer, the alerts, backtesting etc, and I don't like the charts- they are clunky, don't have a very wide range of indicators, are slow to set up, and generally not very nice to use, what with the interface being counter-intuitive and all.

The old charts were fast to set up and simple to use.

I also don't like the way one cannot set stops anymore before you open a trade. How is this better?

Sorry to whine- I like CS generally!

Can I just say I don't like the new charts- well aware of sensatus and the facilities they offer, the alerts, backtesting etc, and I don't like the charts- they are clunky, don't have a very wide range of indicators, are slow to set up, and generally not very nice to use, what with the interface being counter-intuitive and all.

The old charts were fast to set up and simple to use.

I also don't like the way one cannot set stops anymore before you open a trade. How is this better?

Sorry to whine- I like CS generally!
I find it much better as it is now, to set the stop loss in points in the order ticket is less risky, compared to manually fill in the figures for the stop loss, much more room for error.

I was trading with Capital spreads. I closed my account.
Platform is very slow in execution. Brokers delay this execution. Actually they trade for herself on clients cost.
As my account fell bellow beginning balance 1400$, the execution became very fast. I needed two days to recover and my account grew 1700$ above my beginning balance.
I concluded that my account was set to demo. There was day and night broker John.
As they noticed that my account grew so far, I was set again to execution with brokers. My good broker John died.(There were brokers Danielle, Fanfan,George...)
I asked, what happened, they told that I WAS SET TO THEIR SYSTEM TRADING AUTOMATICALLY. But this was actually demo(dummy trades).

This is my experience.

hogfish

if you click on the order icon (within the trade ticket) it will open the ticket up to the original size that you had before. So you can prefill the order levels as before.

The reasons the we moved the prefill order bits into a 'request' function are
a) if you are filling out prefixed stop levels etc before trading then presumably you are not looking for the minimum number of clicks to trade (as some of our clients want),
b) with stop / limit / guaranteed stops orders now in the ticket and trailing stops about to be added as well the 'simple' trade tickets are just getting too big and
c) in any case we wanted clients to be able to see more open tickets on screen at one time before they drop off the bottom

concerning the charts ... this is a difficult one ... the functionality is actually better than before (more updates etc) and there are also more indicators than with the old charts. I understand that with more data to upload it takes a couple of seconds longer to open but they are far more robust than the old charts (they do not stop after a period of time etc). And using the mountain view scroll at the bottom i find much more user friendly than the old 'expand' 'contract' buttons on the old charts.

simon

zupnik

if my dealers say you are on auto execute then you are .. period

if you are getting dealer names this means you are trading over data releases as all trading is put to dealer accept for about 30 seconds over major data announcements. When you compound this with trading out of croatia then there may be some small latency but your normal trading execution should be almost instantaneous.

I was testing our platform using our mobile app in China a week or so ago and the deal confirms were coming through in less than a second in most cases.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Just a minor issue with the app.

I put in my stop and limit at 30 points each and then I buy or sell.
Once the order has been actioned the stop and limits have moved a little, the furthest has been nearly 2 points.

i.e. stop is now 31 and limit is 29 or stop is 29.8 and limit is 30.2

I have to go in and amend the order after I have placed it, a slight annoyance but not the end of the world.

Just wondering if you knew anything about it?

Oh, and this has only started in the last few weeks

thanks

rugby

thank you for pointing this out (we were not aware of this issue) i will imediately find out what is happening as this is obviously should not happen.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Just a minor issue with the app.

I put in my stop and limit at 30 points each and then I buy or sell.
Once the order has been actioned the stop and limits have moved a little, the furthest has been nearly 2 points.

i.e. stop is now 31 and limit is 29 or stop is 29.8 and limit is 30.2

I have to go in and amend the order after I have placed it, a slight annoyance but not the end of the world.

Just wondering if you knew anything about it?

Oh, and this has only started in the last few weeks

thanks

Sounds similar to what happens with the WS platform, when the price has moved after you set the attached order distance.

zupnik

if my dealers say you are on auto execute then you are .. period

if you are getting dealer names this means you are trading over data releases as all trading is put to dealer accept for about 30 seconds over major data announcements. When you compound this with trading out of croatia then there may be some small latency but your normal trading execution should be almost instantaneous.

I was testing our platform using our mobile app in China a week or so ago and the deal confirms were coming through in less than a second in most cases.

Simon
Yes very clear information on what is happening during news releases. If all clients is put on dealer referral during important figures I see nothing wrong in this. Fixed spread makes it real hard for the SB during news releases, e.g. real market spread on EUR/USD very wide, but CS only 1 point spread, how does that work out?

GLE

it works out by playing the averages ! Over wild releases CS wins sometimes and loses on others. I am not sure how the other SB companies look at major economic releases but to be honest they are a real pain. Frequently you get a two or three second spike in one direction followed by just as fast shift in the other! No major biz has taken plce in the 'real' market (it has just been whipped about by small liquidity or maybe one algo system deciding on one direction whilst another goes in the other).

Invariably they cause problems with clients who complain that Capital Spreads has spiked the market (?!) just enough to take out their £5 a point stop! No matter how hard you explain people never seem to understand how much volume you would have to put through to move the market just a pip or two (tens of millions of dollars worth of trade size).

Simon

Simon

The chart and ticker price were 3 pips different on eur/usd and I thought I would place a trade to see if it would refuse the trade, it didn't and gave me the chart price so something is wrong somewhere and to me it shows your system does put through trades at a different price than what the ticker is showing. Guess what simon it was not over any data release, not even close to any news release. I see the chart and ticker price everyday showing different prices.

CS need to sort out chart and ticker price to be same at all times, its not fair on CS clients if there are persistant problems what are not investigated and sorted out.

GLE

it works out by playing the averages ! Over wild releases CS wins sometimes and loses on others. I am not sure how the other SB companies look at major economic releases but to be honest they are a real pain. Frequently you get a two or three second spike in one direction followed by just as fast shift in the other! No major biz has taken plce in the 'real' market (it has just been whipped about by small liquidity or maybe one algo system deciding on one direction whilst another goes in the other).

Invariably they cause problems with clients who complain that Capital Spreads has spiked the market (?!) just enough to take out their £5 a point stop! No matter how hard you explain people never seem to understand how much volume you would have to put through to move the market just a pip or two (tens of millions of dollars worth of trade size).

Simon

Simon I know somebody who is a retail client with a broker and on a GBP/YEN trade his stop was hit on your prices but not in the real world market, what is the reason for that. He often says to me he will not use a SB company because they can spike the prices by a few pips compared to the real world market.

Has anybody compared non SB charts with SB charts to if the there is a price difference on highs and lows where you can easily see the difference, or any difference on peaks and bottoms.

Simon

A small problem I had the other day the tickers kept on changing my stake back to £1 a pip the stake after 10 to 15 minutes normally stays the same all day.

Simon I know somebody who is a retail client with a broker and on a GBP/YEN trade his stop was hit on your prices but not in the real world market, what is the reason for that. He often says to me he will not use a SB company because they can spike the prices by a few pips compared to the real world market.

Has anybody compared non SB charts with SB charts to if the there is a price difference on highs and lows where you can easily see the difference, or any difference on peaks and bottoms.

forexpros/futurespros provide a free live charting package i think for comparison.