Best Thread Capital Spreads

some of these matters are really just the same old commentators going on about a fantasy conspiracy that just does not exist.

a freezing chart stops you from trading over a data release (!??)

i am afraid that nothing that the big SB companies does or does not do is going to turn a losing trade into a winning one. there is some kind of wierd feeling that SB companies watch all our clients and reject winning trades.. only a seconds actual thought shows how ridiculous this statement is. From one moment to the next nobody knows where the market is going.... if we rejected a trade because a client was winning there is an equal chance that the market will continue in the clients favour making his trade an even bigger winning one as there is that the market will reverse and go against him/her.

the vast majority of trades made with Capital Spreads (and i assume our competitors) go through our systems without any input from our dealers. Truth Seeker seems to have a moniker at odds with his actual outlook. He completely ignores all evidence to the contrary and concentrates on imagined problems that just do not exist.

About three years ago, on this thread, i asked for an actual authenticated instance of Capital Spreads deliberately acting against its clients .. i have yet to see evidence of any such activity. I have to say in defence of my competitors that this appears to be the case with them as well. In reality we all provide our trading platforms and the clients are free to take on the market. Readers of this thread should take note of this.. you are not competing against Capital Spreads you are competing against 'the market' .

Today we refunded a client some £240k of profit. I had never heard of the client, she did not overtrade or attempt to scalp etc,... all she does is trade well ! ask her whether Capital Spreads is a bucket shop. In reality clients who mke losses do so because they take the wrong trading decision ... full stop.

Simon

Simon

I am working with your chart suppliers to sort out the chart freezing problem and they have said there is a problem with IE9.

When are you going to try and find out why the ticker freezes on news release, I am not saying capital spreads are doing it to stop people from trading news but what I am saying you need to realise there is a problem and find out why it is happening instead of ignoring the problem. The charts work during the news release and I can see the changing prices on the chart but the ticker can freezes and the charts still work ok.

I hope you are not saying people only come on here and moan about capital spreads because they are bad traders and lose, if it is that is disgusting.

Never had a reply from you after sending you a private message. Your dealers said something can't happen when it did happen and I do feel cheated by capital spread on that issue because my trades should of been rejected with the ticker not being the same as the actual price.

Then we had place a trade and 20 minutes later after it said it was timed out to appear.
No apology from you for that total mess up by capital spreads, but you kept quiet on here and ignored my post about it and somebody elses post on here about it.

Simon

I am working with your chart suppliers to sort out the chart freezing problem and they have said there is a problem with IE9.

When are you going to try and find out why the ticker freezes on news release, I am not saying capital spreads are doing it to stop people from trading news but what I am saying you need to realise there is a problem and find out why it is happening instead of ignoring the problem. The charts work during the news release and I can see the changing prices on the chart but the ticker can freezes and the charts still work ok.

I hope you are not saying people only come on here and moan about capital spreads because they are bad traders and lose, if it is that is disgusting.

Never had a reply from you after sending you a private message. Your dealers said something can't happen when it did happen and I do feel cheated by capital spread on that issue because my trades should of been rejected with the ticker not being the same as the actual price.

Then we had place a trade and 20 minutes later after it said it was timed out to appear.
No apology from you for that total mess up by capital spreads, but you kept quiet on here and ignored my post about it and somebody elses post on here about it.
Fair enough, I think it would be a good thing for Simon to answer you back.

some of these matters are really just the same old commentators going on about a fantasy conspiracy that just does not exist.

a freezing chart stops you from trading over a data release (!??)

i am afraid that nothing that the big SB companies does or does not do is going to turn a losing trade into a winning one. there is some kind of wierd feeling that SB companies watch all our clients and reject winning trades.. only a seconds actual thought shows how ridiculous this statement is. From one moment to the next nobody knows where the market is going.... if we rejected a trade because a client was winning there is an equal chance that the market will continue in the clients favour making his trade an even bigger winning one as there is that the market will reverse and go against him/her.

the vast majority of trades made with Capital Spreads (and i assume our competitors) go through our systems without any input from our dealers. Truth Seeker seems to have a moniker at odds with his actual outlook. He completely ignores all evidence to the contrary and concentrates on imagined problems that just do not exist.

About three years ago, on this thread, i asked for an actual authenticated instance of Capital Spreads deliberately acting against its clients .. i have yet to see evidence of any such activity. I have to say in defence of my competitors that this appears to be the case with them as well. In reality we all provide our trading platforms and the clients are free to take on the market. Readers of this thread should take note of this.. you are not competing against Capital Spreads you are competing against 'the market' .

Today we refunded a client some £240k of profit. I had never heard of the client, she did not overtrade or attempt to scalp etc,... all she does is trade well ! ask her whether Capital Spreads is a bucket shop. In reality clients who mke losses do so because they take the wrong trading decision ... full stop.

Simon
Yes, probably a swing trader, I wish I was one.:)

Overall there is just too much moaning about how the SB behave. Instead they should be looking at trading disciplines like Risk & Money Management. Sure there are things to improve, and it will come, competition and MiFID II will take care of that, no doubt about it. Simon, when will you stop using "scalping" as a bad word in the business?:)

What they call scalping is indeed for most people who try it a dirty word as it causes the vast majority of newcomers who try it blow up. As Simon says, 'From one moment to the next nobody knows where the market is going....'. If the SB firms themselves don't know where the market is going on a timeframe of seconds to a few minutes, what chance do the majority of lone beginners have?

Most (though not all) SB customers would also lose with real futures,infact they would probably lose more because the minimums are often far graeter.

Most (though not all) SB customers would also lose with real futures,infact they would probably lose more because the minimums are often far graeter.
Absolutely so, if you can't get it right trading SB, you will be burned trading the futures as well. Trading is not easy, and if one grasp that part, and start looking to improve ones trading disciplines and strategy, you are on the right track.

pot shot

as you are well aware our chart provider has contacted you directly to try to ascertain your problem (one which, in truth, is not happening to the vast majority of our other clients) which i think evidences our attempts to help out.

As it happens i did respond on the open thread about your claim that something had happened... which we believe cannot. I think that one of the other commentators replied as well saying that they had actually filmed the trade ticket and discovered that the trade ticket price changed faster than their eye sight could take in. I am really sorry but the simple fact is that on the platform the price in the ticket window must match the trade request price. If it is different the trade will be rejected (this is actually one of the simpler bits of coding as it is effectively the same as an excel 'if' command).

As you say you were answered by someone else i am at a loss to know why you think that i should also comment.

The downtime of a couple of weeks ago (lasting 22mins) was the first major incident for Capital Spreads this year (you might remember the LSE was down for an entire day earlier this summer!). And clients were responded to at the time. As it happens i was not around that day.. ce la vie... if you lost out then our customer services team would (and always do) have listened (very sympathetically) to your problem. In reality loss of service impacts CS far more than our clients as we a)lose biz and b) have to compensate

Concerning client losses .. i am really sorry BUT.. my previous comment stands. Clients are not trading against Capital Spreads they are trading against the market. Capital Spreads quotes a fixed spread against all of its non equity markets, we cannot 'create' a price that does not exist. We quote tight spreads, low margin requirements and low financing costs all of which will aid the trader. If you beat the market then all well and good ... if you do not then please do not blame Capital Spreads

Simon

Last edited:
pot shot

as you are well aware our chart provider has contacted you directly to try to ascertain your problem (one which, in truth, is not happening to the vast majority of our other clients) which i think evidences our attempts to help out.

As it happens i did respond on the open thread about your claim that something had happened... which we believe cannot. I think that one of the other commentators replied as well saying that they had actually filmed the trade ticket and discovered that the trade ticket price changed faster than their eye sight could take in. I am really sorry but the simple fact is that on the platform the price in the ticket window must match the trade request price. If it is different the trade will be rejected (this is actually one of the simpler bits of coding as it is effectively the same as an excel 'if' command).

As you say you were answered by someone else i am at a loss to know why you think that i should also comment. I have never said capital spreads are betting against me.

Simon

Forget it, I am wasting my time with you. You and your traders know everything what happens and your code is perfect. I have never said capital spreads are betting against me.

pot shot

As you say you were answered by someone else i am at a loss to know why you think that i should also comment. I have never said capital spreads are betting against me.

Simon

Forget it, I am wasting my time with you. You and your traders know everything what happens and your code is perfect. I have never said capital spreads are betting against me.
I did record many trades. It showed in every single case that the price I got in the ticket windows was exact the price I clicked on. I also thought it was the other way around, but had to give in after seeing the evidence up front. CS have excellent execution, no doubt about it, but during important figures, who knows what happens.

GLE101
we have to be frank, over important figures a market maker platform (with fixed spreads) has its limitations

for those of you who actually use real FX platforms you will be aware that the spreads widen out to ridiculous numbers just before and just after a data release. (and when i say 'ridiculous' i really mean it!) liquidity providers on the FX markets see no reason to give algos a 'free lunch' in wild periods. And these are on platforms that just quote a very limited number of markets

spread betting and cfd platforms generally fix the spreads over these periods (i.e Capital Spreads remains at 1 pip on the euro/usd at all times)

every platform has its limitations.. it is up to the clients to decide whether accepting greater trade scrutiny for a tiny period of time over major data releases is too high a price to pay for tight prices, low margins, fund security etc etc at all other times.

pot shot

i really am sorry you feel i am ignoring your query (i assure you i did not). it is just that we cannot see how the particular problem you seem to have had (which would be mentioned hundreds of times on these threads if it was endemic) happened.

simon

Last edited:
GLE101
we have to be frank, over important figures a market maker platform (with fixed spreads) has its limitations

for those of you who actually use real FX platforms you will be aware that the spreads widen out to ridiculous numbers just before and just after a data release. (and when i say 'ridiculous' i really mean it!) liquidity providers on the FX markets see no reason to give algos a 'free lunch' in wild periods. And these are on platforms that just quote a very limited number of markets

spread betting and cfd platforms generally fix the spreads over these periods (i.e Capital Spreads remains at 1 pip on the euro/usd at all times)

every platform has its limitations.. it is up to the clients to decide whether accepting greater trade scrutiny for a tiny period of time over major data releases is too high a price to pay for tight prices, low margins, fund security etc etc at all other times.

pot shot

i really am sorry you feel i am ignoring your query (i assure you i did not). it is just that we cannot see how the particular problem you seem to have had (which would be mentioned hundreds of times on these threads if it was endemic) happened.

simon
Yes I agree, news time is not the best time to trade. At least one should wait for retracement. As you said, fixed spread has its limitation, and would traders prefer that you close the platform entirely for a couple of minutes prior to figures, I don't think so. One simply can not have it all.

I have to agree with potshot as the system was very slow yesterday and sometimes ticket wasn't updating in line with the graph.
Also, my friend had a problem closing a gold position when the markets were pretty quiet.

I think CS platform is much less unstable after the release of the new charting package... Sorry Simon but it seems it has too many bugs.

Simon

The post above shows what said is true, the prices not updating with the chart and you can't believe how annoying it is when saw what happened and CS keeps on saying it can't happen. I had it the other day, tickers froze but the chart moved and after about 30 seconds the tickers came back to life and the price I pressed wasn't the price I got.

I would not say it had happened if it had not. There are many things I like about the platform, its fast execution and I have never had slippage and apart from the freezing tickers, the trade what was meant to of been timed and the freezing charts what has been cured using firefox i have no other problem with CS.

When I trade I press the button and if I lose its my fault and I don't blame the sb company unless there was something with the platform.

Simon

The post above shows what said is true, the prices not updating with the chart and you can't believe how annoying it is when saw what happened and CS keeps on saying it can't happen. I had it the other day, tickers froze but the chart moved and after about 30 seconds the tickers came back to life and the price I pressed wasn't the price I got.

I would not say it had happened if it had not. There are many things I like about the platform, its fast execution and I have never had slippage and apart from the freezing tickers, the trade what was meant to of been timed and the freezing charts what has been cured using firefox i have no other problem with CS.

When I trade I press the button and if I lose its my fault and I don't blame the sb company unless there was something with the platform.
Could be something related to the chart. I don't know, I never use SB chart in my trading.

not sure

at very fast periods (for a few seconds over a data release) the front end trading platform may experience latency (while the chart does not) which means that the price ticket ticker may be different. But you will not be able to trade on the incorrect trade ticket price (the system willjust reject it).. this happened to two of our major competitors over a vast period of time during the recent turbulence in August as price changes over whelmed their engines.

Most price engines will happily deal with 5 to 10k price changes a second which, when you quote 3000 markets, means each market changing 3 times a second. But during the chaos in August we were seeing (especially when the US opens at 14.30) over 20k price changes a second

this type of loading happens very infrequntly but our systems are generally capable of dealing with even this nowadays.

i also have to say that in recent times my internet connectivity is not what it was (not sure if others are finding this) with my connection literally dropping out for periods of time. not when i am looking at any particular web page.

simon

not sure

at very fast periods (for a few seconds over a data release) the front end trading platform may experience latency (while the chart does not) which means that the price ticket ticker may be different. But you will not be able to trade on the incorrect trade ticket price (the system willjust reject it).. this happened to two of our major competitors over a vast period of time during the recent turbulence in August as price changes over whelmed their engines.

Most price engines will happily deal with 5 to 10k price changes a second which, when you quote 3000 markets, means each market changing 3 times a second. But during the chaos in August we were seeing (especially when the US opens at 14.30) over 20k price changes a second

this type of loading happens very infrequntly but our systems are generally capable of dealing with even this nowadays.

My internet goes but if it goes its gone, no running slow. I have virgin broadband.

i also have to say that in recent times my internet connectivity is not what it was (not sure if others are finding this) with my connection literally dropping out for periods of time. not when i am looking at any particular web page.

simon

Simon

I can assure you I pressed 16 but got 13 and after I clicked 16 it didn't move for over a minute, no trade appeared on my screen until very last second where it showed me getting stopped out and the ticker stayed at 16. What I am not happy about if my ticker was showing the wrong price I couldn't make a proper judgement on price where to enter and I wouldn't of entered at 13, it maybe only 3 pips. It seems like the other day where the trade appeared on my screen until after 20 minutes, but this time it was around 30 seconds which meant I couldn't of closed it quickly if I went into profit what it did if I was placed at 13 and I clicked 16.

I know what I saw and now when the ticker freezes I won't take a trade becuase I do not know what price CS will say I went in at, it won't be the ticker prices.

Simon how can your system say a trade is timed out but the trade is placed, surely it shouldn't be able to do that even if you had technical problems, the code wouldn't of allowed it. It is possible you system had clitch for a very short time when I placed my trade and allowed it allowed the trade to go on at a different price than the ticker showed. Surely if it can say a trade is timed out when it is not then it could allow a trade to go on at a different price to the ticker.

I had a similar trade happen - I clicked to buy (with a stop and limit) but the system timed out. No trade appeared in my order window and the system was behaving strangely. About 20 minutes later, I received notification that my stop order had been triggered, losing me 50 points. I logged out and back in, the orders appeared in my list, but the timings were amiss - the initial order had gone through, but the stop and limit orders had only been entered after the 20 minutes - at this time the ticker was significantly (50 points) below my stop (at 12 if I recall correctly) and so it executed immediately.

1. I had no idea I was in the trade due to the timeout and lack of visibility in the platform.
2. Capital spreads reversed it when I called them.

What i know i see from people on these boards complaining and from looking into the possibility of opening an account and then rejecting the idea because it is clear the handicap is way too large to overcome the benefits. therefore, my view is not from ignorance, but research. there are 100's of things in life we know to be dumb ideas - we dont need experience to see they are dumb ideas.

I'm clearly preaching to those who are emotionally committed to spread betting rather than taking an objective view. not one person has come up with one advantage of spread betting over proper, dma access. all you have done is attack someone who thinks that spread betting is the biggest scam going.
Judging by this and no. of posts it is quite clear you need to do some serious research. The SB industry is growing and traders like me with 15 years of trading experience is not easily fooled.