Capital Spreads: Outright Thieves

is that 200 per point? If so it would make sense to go direct? or size down? are you on dealer? i'm on dealer for £1 a pt on the german bonds and they move 40pts a day.

volatility is a function of liquidity.

In these markets on my system the stops on the gold rolling would be about 30-40pts on the 1 min when they used to be about 10pts. If the stops are less than 30-40 [more on higher time frames] its easy to see why someone would be stopped out. So on gold rolling at £200 a pt [if that is what it is] with say a 40 pt stop is an £8000 risk which would need margin of £800,000? amazing.

yes ig have bigger spikes than cs. or let us say it is more sensitive to price. cs prices have often kept me in trades and not stopped me out when technically they could have. but then i do small trades. if its over £10 a pt they do say they will want to know what the person is doing.

In that size, no, I don't think it would make sense to go direct.

The margin would be astronomical, whereas we would only require £20,000 (which could even be covered by a credit limit or reduced by stops)

Not sure what you mean by your last line. We often give clients the benefit of not stopping them out, regardless of the size.

Ian

I can tell you that Capital Spreads has NEVER, not once "given me the benefit of not stopping me out". They are avaricious in their movement of their price to HIT stops. They can't get away with moving gold, say, $1.00 to hit you. But if the real price gets within 30 cents or so, YOU ARE GONE, as you can be 100% certain that a quick tail will appear on Capital Spread's chart, the absolute top (or bottom, in the case of a sell stop) will be at your stop price.

I believe in statistics...I live by them. The number of times that my stop was executed at the EXACT top or bottom of a Capital Spread bar, in comparison to the total number of trades, is off the charts statistically. The odds are in the millions to one against it happening by random chance.

I trade c. £200 per point, which is roughly equal to 40 contracts long (or fewer, now that the £ is down). This is hardly huge size, but CS will grab stops much smaller than that. You can explain it away by saying it's "part of the game", but that is CR*P. Stealing client funds is NOT part of any legal game of which I am aware.

Galtone,
Forget their charts, did the market actually trade at your stop level? (with spread applied)

If not, you have every reason to be angry but it's very easy for people to complain about this without showing evidence, so i'm not going to condemn them.

Perhaps your stops are too close to S/R zones?

It's 30 lots now, but was 40 for most of the last 2 years, by most peoples standards on this site that is big size.

Ian
Spreadex

another accusation of stop hunting.

we have five deal desks taking over 40000 individual trades a day (over 8000 for each desk), 35000 clients, tens of thousands of positions and over 3000 markets. If you really think we have the time or inclination to adjust a single 'spread', to 'bias' prices or anything along these lines then I am afraid you are sadly mistaken.

Our prices are taken straight from the underlying market bid/offer quote we NEVER, EVER adjust them to affect a client by one pip. Certainly not Gold which comes straight from the Futures exchanges. To trigger a stop we would have to actually force the exchange price up (or down) to the clients stop price which would in most cases take far more than 30/40 contracts and anyway might fail which would leave us with twice the sized position going the wrong way!

Most of the time we are not even aware of stop levels or activation until after it has happened.

I am not going to claim that we do not make mistakes because we do..but we NEVER make deliberate attempts to take out a client position.

Simon

I believe what Simon says about stop hunting. I just think his outfit is an amateurish little sh!t of a bookie for a million reasons. He is such a pathetic liar, that is all.

we have five deal desks taking over 40000 individual trades a day (over 8000 for each desk), 35000 clients, tens of thousands of positions and over 3000 markets. If you really think we have the time or inclination to adjust a single 'spread', to 'bias' prices or anything along these lines then I am afraid you are sadly mistaken.

Our prices are taken straight from the underlying market bid/offer quote we NEVER, EVER adjust them to affect a client by one pip. Certainly not Gold which comes straight from the Futures exchanges. To trigger a stop we would have to actually force the exchange price up (or down) to the clients stop price which would in most cases take far more than 30/40 contracts and anyway might fail which would leave us with twice the sized position going the wrong way!

Most of the time we are not even aware of stop levels or activation until after it has happened.

I am not going to claim that we do not make mistakes because we do..but we NEVER make deliberate attempts to take out a client position.

Simon

Why on earth not then? It would be common sense to stop catch, surely!

Why on earth not then? It would be common sense to stop catch, surely!

Yeah you should have some software that shows where the majority of people's stops are placed. I think a lot of people will be placing stops in a similar place, particularly at round numbers like 100, 1000, etc. Using this software it could then be profitable to stop hunt. I agree stop hunting one person isn't worth it- but perhaps on mass it could be? If you are not already doing it perhaps you can start?! People think you are anyway so you might as well...

Relax guys and gals... they have said they do not make attempts to catch out A client position.

This is correct, since they are not interested in one position, what they are interested in is a herd
(like UKTradergirl has very wisely put) :))))

the mathematicians who say price has no memory who work at hedge funds think technical analysis [which is nothing but price memory] is little better than 'a belief in santa' and will 'play the chartists'. There are mathematical finance courses at Oxford uni called 'using Black scholes to take on the chartists'.

so there are programmes out there looking for what retail chartists will be looking at and taking them out. its just a part of markets.

Yeah you should have some software that shows where the majority of people's stops are placed. I think a lot of people will be placing stops in a similar place, particularly at round numbers like 100, 1000, etc. Using this software it could then be profitable to stop hunt. I agree stop hunting one person isn't worth it- but perhaps on mass it could be? If you are not already doing it perhaps you can start?! People think you are anyway so you might as well...

Exactly.

The other point simon leaves out... say ftse is 4400 bid 4430 offered, which would not be unusual at 7:30pm... where do capital spreads put their spread? They have a reasonable arguement to put it anywhere...

The only way in which they would be unable to move their spread to stop catch without them being able to justify it by whatever means in the real market would be if the underlying had a fixed spread - and it doesn't...

for those who haven't seen it

search ytube for Jim Cramer - Stock Market Manipulation - How he did it...

Spread betters can never be too paranoid, but CS and the rest don't need to add their own stop hunting to that which already goes on in the real market. Only filling positions when they go against clientsis a far simpler way of maximising profit.

Hahaha. This is LAUGHABLE. Would anyone expect Capital Spreads to say "Sure, we steal money from our clients by quickly moving our spread to hit their stops, which DIRECTLY benefits us".

The way to catch cheaters and thieves is using probabilities. The number of times a bar on the CS chart has quickly flicked up to EXACTLY my stop level, before immediately retreating, when my feed from other exchanges had done no such thing is amazing. They can deny stealing, but statistics prove them wrong. If you and I bet on the toss of a coin, using your coin, and you call "heads" every time, and it comes up heads 20 times on the spin, the odds are just over 2 million to one against that being an honest run of bad luck. The odds say you have a 2 headed coin and are a cheater. You can deny it and say it's just random luck, but 2 million to one shots VERY seldom happen. CS can deny stealing all they like, but the odds against what happens on their in-house spreads being "random" are about the same as you having been the unlucky loser of 20 coin tosses on the spin. The best explanation, statistically speaking, is that you are dealing with a liar and a thief.....as a matter of simple percentages.

I once put on an FX sell stop in on the Canadian Dollar at Capital Spreads very late at night . I happened to be awake and watching their chart. The stop was about 30 points below the market when I put the stop in. The market was virtually dead, with almost no activity. Almost as soon as the stop order was placed to sell at a price below the market, CS's price started inching down.

This was to initiate a short position, so I was out of the market at that moment. I put a contingent stop in at 40 points above the entry. So in order to get IN, the price would have to drop 30 points...and then once in, I would be stopped out if it rose 40 points. Guess what? After about 10 minutes the CS price reached EXACTLY my entry stop. Not even ONE tick lower. It then immediately reversed, and crept up EXACTLY 40 points, and I am not exagerating, not ONE point higher, hit my stop...then returned to EXACTLY where it had been before I put the stop in.

It was late at night and I happened to be watching, so I rang the trading desk, and a very surly Australian answered. I said I wanted to complain about a trade and before I even told him which one I was talking about he KNEW who it was and said very belligerently "These markets are very volatile". I guess late at night they don't have many people working so the guy may well have been the one who "executed" my trade. It's like throwing meat into a pool of sharks if you put stops in with Capital Spreads. They are after your money, and will cheat to get it from you.

Anyway, this is one small example. The odds of that happening randomly are tiny...at least by honest chance......but the times it's happened in gold are absurd.

I've never had these problems with City Index, for example. In fact City have even "let me off the hook" on stops a few times, when a stop was just briefly touched, by leaving me in the market after it made a comeback. This would be INCONCEIVABLE with Capital Spreads who are after your money with a vengeance.

Simon

Hahaha. This is LAUGHABLE. Would anyone expect Capital Spreads to say "Sure, we steal money from our clients by quickly moving our spread to hit their stops, which DIRECTLY benefits us".

The way to catch cheaters and thieves is using probabilities. The number of times a bar on the CS chart has quickly flicked up to EXACTLY my stop level, before immediately retreating, when my feed from other exchanges had done no such thing is amazing. They can deny stealing, but statistics prove them wrong. If you and I bet on the toss of a coin, using your coin, and you call "heads" every time, and it comes up heads 20 times on the spin, the odds are just over 2 million to one against that being an honest run of bad luck. The odds say you have a 2 headed coin and are a cheater. You can deny it and say it's just random luck, but 2 million to one shots VERY seldom happen. CS can deny stealing all they like, but the odds against what happens on their in-house spreads being "random" are about the same as you having been the unlucky loser of 20 coin tosses on the spin. The best explanation, statistically speaking, is that you are dealing with a liar and a thief.....as a matter of simple percentages.

I once put on an FX sell stop in on the Canadian Dollar at Capital Spreads very late at night . I happened to be awake and watching their chart. The stop was about 30 points below the market when I put the stop in. The market was virtually dead, with almost no activity. Almost as soon as the stop order was placed to sell at a price below the market, CS's price started inching down.

This was to initiate a short position, so I was out of the market at that moment. I put a contingent stop in at 40 points above the entry. So in order to get IN, the price would have to drop 30 points...and then once in, I would be stopped out if it rose 40 points. Guess what? After about 10 minutes the CS price reached EXACTLY my entry stop. Not even ONE tick lower. It then immediately reversed, and crept up EXACTLY 40 points, and I am not exagerating, not ONE point higher, hit my stop...then returned to EXACTLY where it had been before I put the stop in.

It was late at night and I happened to be watching, so I rang the trading desk, and a very surly Australian answered. I said I wanted to complain about a trade and before I even told him which one I was talking about he KNEW who it was and said very belligerently "These markets are very volatile". I guess late at night they don't have many people working so the guy may well have been the one who "executed" my trade. It's like throwing meat into a pool of sharks if you put stops in with Capital Spreads. They are after your money, and will cheat to get it from you.

Anyway, this is one small example. The odds of that happening randomly are tiny...at least by honest chance......but the times it's happened in gold are absurd.

I've never had these problems with City Index, for example. In fact City have even "let me off the hook" on stops a few times, when a stop was just briefly touched, by leaving me in the market after it made a comeback. This would be INCONCEIVABLE with Capital Spreads who are after your money with a vengeance.

Galtone - quite honestly I don't believe you.

Please post the details of your trade, time and levels and we will check the real markets to see if what you say is true. I have an account with CS so I can check their quotes too.