Capital Spreads: Outright Thieves

galtone

I can assure you that I am not some hysterical newbie mad at Capital Spreads after losing a few quid. I have traded futures, options and CFDs for decades. I opened a spreadbetting account last year as a means of hedging US Dollar exposure whilst staying long gold.

I have noticed time after time after time, that Capital Spreads simply STEAL client's money by artificially moving their prices to catch stops. This is not my imagination, I am watching live feeds from REAL exchanges, honest exchanges, e.g. Comex, at the same time I am watching Capital Spreads prices.

On numerous occasions I have watched the price at CS move quickly to EXACTLY the point required to catch my stop, when the real market made no such move. One of their so-called "traders" even gloated to me about this one night when I rang to complain.

I can tell you that ANY of the spread betting firms would be a better bet than dealing with the thieves at Capital Spreads. If anyone doubts the veracity of this post I can show you a LONG list of trades at CS in which the price moved EXACTLY to kill my stop, when NO OTHER price in the world moved at that time.

There is one conclusion and ONLY one conclusion: Capital Spreads are a bunch of crooks.

It is a amusing to see the low and high ticking that goes on capital spreads, but it's worth it for the fun you can have complaining about them!

What sort of size were you trading. If it was significant then I could believe you.

If it was less than £50 per tick then I think it's more likely paranoia.

What sort of size were you trading. If it was significant then I could believe you.

He's right, they do it at each high or low in a way that the real markets don't.

I trade c. £200 per 1/10th of a dollar (i.e., one tick) in the gold market. Whether you "believe" me or not is irrelevant. If you wish to trade with CS, you WILL be robbed. I have accounts at almost all the SB firms, some are good, some not so good.

Capital Spreads are the worst by a mile. Stealing client funds is about as bad as it gets.

Im sure they do steal like that.Which ones dont and are you a profitable trader and ahead with CS. why dont you trade direct access.Even then Ive seen market makers move the market quickly just to nick a few measly stops

Lol I high and low tick in real markets all the time, I've no complaint about that, but at least that's a real trade. What capital spreads is doing is very different and imo disgraceful.

I have accounts with CS and IG and in my opinion IG are far worse at stop hunting than CS ever are. Very often their spikes will be a good 5-10 pips further than CS.

It's a simple problem to solve - I guess you are putting your stops at predictable resistance levels, markets do a very good job at hunting out stop losses by themselves - SBs just go that little bit further. You just have to allow a little more room, if SBs start stop hunting at ridiculous levels it just opens them up to arbitrage losses.

Whether you think that it's robbing the client is your opinion, personally I think it's just part of the game that you need to be aware of. It's their market you are trading on.

I can assure you that I am not some hysterical newbie mad at Capital Spreads after losing a few quid. I have traded futures, options and CFDs for decades. I opened a spreadbetting account last year as a means of hedging US Dollar exposure whilst staying long gold.

I have noticed time after time after time, that Capital Spreads simply STEAL client's money by artificially moving their prices to catch stops. This is not my imagination, I am watching live feeds from REAL exchanges, honest exchanges, e.g. Comex, at the same time I am watching Capital Spreads prices.

On numerous occasions I have watched the price at CS move quickly to EXACTLY the point required to catch my stop, when the real market made no such move. One of their so-called "traders" even gloated to me about this one night when I rang to complain.

I can tell you that ANY of the spread betting firms would be a better bet than dealing with the thieves at Capital Spreads. If anyone doubts the veracity of this post I can show you a LONG list of trades at CS in which the price moved EXACTLY to kill my stop, when NO OTHER price in the world moved at that time.

There is one conclusion and ONLY one conclusion: Capital Spreads are a bunch of crooks.
Once again I sense frustration from a trader that has not been successful lately. 'Thieves' and 'crooks' are very strong words to describe a company with whom one has been trading for quite a while. I also use live feeds and I must honestly say that CS do not in my point of view deliberately hunt stops. They might do some other things, but stops hunting is something I have not detected after years of trading with them. Maybe I have missed something, but if it is so obvious that they are at fault, why did you continue to trade with them after you first noticed so many discrepancies?

I have serious doubts concerning capital spreads. On several accasions I've been locked in a position
then temporily closed appears on the platform. Then you have to phone them up which takes about five minutes for them to close.A complete trend reversal which ends up as a losing trade.

I have serious doubts concerning capital spreads. On several accasions I've been locked in a position
then temporily closed appears on the platform. Then you have to phone them up which takes about five minutes for them to close.A complete trend reversal which ends up as a losing trade.
This is part of the game. If something really goes wrong and you are not able to close the position you have to have another SB alternative on alert stand by, so you can hedge the position immediately.

Those stop hunting in real markets have to ****ing trade 1 lot at a high or low. They have to make a real trade. By doing so they are providing liquidity. This kind of stop hunting is an honourable profession.

Capital spreads don't have to do that. They just have to adjust their price. And what the OP and myself have noticed is that a new high or low tends to mysteriously have the spread adjusted to it for a time period that it is impossible to open a new position on; but enough to be stopped out.

That is ****ing suspicious!

Last edited:
Rather than moaning, simply post a screenshot here of prices you have been stopped out at and I will compare the price at the time to that of CQG which comes direct from the relevant exchange.

If they have spiked more than 5 ticks from the correct price then we can shame them publicly...if not....it's just another post I'm afraid...

mate-stop hunting in the futures is not providing liquidity-especially in illiquid markets. eg. red dec swiss. :)

bet you hi/lo tick it tho ;-)

and what about a swiss bank hedging? they might.,

Galtone,

Do you have an account with Spreadex?

If you seriously are trading £200 per tenth of a dollar, i'd be very interested to hear from you and would ensure you are looked after.

Ian