Cable opinions...

No harm in pyramiding usually if you think you can get a good price...I often close down losing trades before their stop incrementally too, if I think the premise for the original trade is weaker (but not disqualified!). Main rule though, NEVER add to a losing position...

I don't recommend scaling out of a position as it moves in your favour, this is the quickest way to minimise your profits, although I accept it is tempting. Logically, if you scale out when the position moves in your favour, wouldn't it make sense to scale out as it moves AGAINST you as well? But I don't know a single person who does this.

Scaling out of positions is a popular strategy used by retail and pro traders alike. One pro that I know, structures his trades in triples. For example, he might buy 30 contracts/lots and set certain targets. As the first target is reached, he will dispose of 10 lots, when target 2 is reached, he will dispose of another 10 lots. He let's the remaining lots run as far as he can.

This is not a strategy I employ as I prefer to trail my stop but, I agree with his basic philosophy. In fact, I have his words written on a Post-it, stuck to on my PC. His magic words? "It's a trading crime to allow a winning trade to turn into a loser". Scaling out is a pro's way of locking in profits and controlling risk management.

It's about finding the right system for you. I agree with not allowing a winner to become a loser; statistically it might not make much of a difference, but psychologically it can be damaging, and that needs to be avoided.

Here's an example (I've rounded the numbers slightly).. I was short EUR/USD with stop of 50 pips and t/p of 150 pips. The low in spot was 145 pips below where I got in, and it has now rallied 80 pips off the low. I've moved my trailing stop to +50 pips (this will probably get triggered soon).

I'm guaranteed a 50 pip profit here, but it's annoying that I came within 5 pips of making 150. But the move happened during the evening when I was out and I don't want to have to check the market all the time. So, sh*t happens. There have been other occasions when I've gotten lucky, this isn't one of them.

Someone scaling out would probably have sold one unit at +50, another unit at +100 and probably trail stopped the final unit at +100, which on this occasion would certainly have been the better approach.

meanreversion

With regard to your idea to trading stops using volatility.

GBPUSD 30 day vol is ~ 14%
square root of 256 bus days = 16

14 / 16 = 0.875. I I take the close of GBPUSD (I see 1.5999), I place my stop 0.875% above 1.5999. Stop at 1.6139?

Interesting. I use ATR which incorporates volatility along these lines. I don't think I'd place a stop as far away as that.. I prefer to trade off 4hr charts which keeps P/L volatility down.

DAVie all these calculation mean squat; place a stop order where your idea of where the pair was going is wrong thats it.Infact the GBP/USD tonight went from 1.60 to 1.625 no amount of calculation can predict what a pair can do.

Im long on GBP/USD since 1.604

I agree, once the original premise for the trade is discounted then you are just punting...Only thing that helped me today as I tried to fade it!

Cable bouncing of ma50 and ma100 (16180) on the hourly, a break of that could be significant...

What happens next!?

Attachments

• cable10.jpg
    cable10.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 204