Boiler Room Scams

Further to my father in law's loss, like others the full facts were given to the FSA, City of London Police and Action Fraud. All these bodies tell you to contact your local police also which we did and they have been the only body to start any sort of investigation. However when they approached their local HQ for some advice they were told to cease the investigation as police protocol laid it down that the victim should report it to Action Fraud. Neither they , the FSA or City of London Police conduct any individual investigation, in other words there is no help. Twice I have emailed my father in law's MP for his comments......no response.
Fraudsters must be laughing all the way to the bank, even though it's likely based abroad. Currently I am trying to get one of the National Newspapers interested,at least to spread public awareness.
Bucket

Action Fraud is just a call centre, they don't investigate anything. You could try Tony Hetherington at the Daily Mail, he has run quite a few stories about boiler room scam though I doubt you have anything new to tell him.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/o...rticle_id=488253&in_page_id=19&in_author_id=5

Have you received anything in writing from the police to say they will be taking no further action? You should write to the local district commander asking for an explanation about the investigation. Its one thing to say they cant do any more because there are no leads, its another one to say they 'we dont deal with this type of thing'. This is a complex fraud no doubt but dont let them palm you off this easily.

Further to my father in law's loss, like others the full facts were given to the FSA, City of London Police and Action Fraud. All these bodies tell you to contact your local police also which we did and they have been the only body to start any sort of investigation. However when they approached their local HQ for some advice they were told to cease the investigation as police protocol laid it down that the victim should report it to Action Fraud. Neither they , the FSA or City of London Police conduct any individual investigation, in other words there is no help. Twice I have emailed my father in law's MP for his comments......no response.
Fraudsters must be laughing all the way to the bank, even though it's likely based abroad. Currently I am trying to get one of the National Newspapers interested,at least to spread public awareness.
Bucket

Bucket,

At least one of the companies your father in law 'invested' in is UK registered.
GAIACOR INTERNATIONAL PLC
ONE AMERICA SQUARE
CROSSWALL
LONDON
EC3N 2SG
Company No. 05685581

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/1f8989b4da1c157326187093b53d7f9a/compdetails

I realise this address will be a virtual office but believe me if they wanted to they could start working back from here to find out who is behind the scam. Like I said keep pushing, tell them a UK registered company is involved and ask why they are not investigating them.

just as a heads-up, I have been called by a company called New Century International.
they are pushing Heating Oil options that will "double your money" if heating oil rises by just 5-10cents by January.

They want you to send an initial $10K to "prove" to you they are legitimate.
If asked to furnish a trading record of past glories, they're a tad reluctant.
They operate out of Panama (I think).

Anyway, it was fun stringing them along, for the lulz.
Clearly, if I could double my money every 2-3 months, I wouldn't be cold-calling complete strangers.

There should be a competition as to who can string them along the longest.

Action Fraud is just a call centre, they don't investigate anything. You could try Tony Hetherington at the Daily Mail, he has run quite a few stories about boiler room scam though I doubt you have anything new to tell him.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/o...rticle_id=488253&in_page_id=19&in_author_id=5

Have you received anything in writing from the police to say they will be taking no further action? You should write to the local district commander asking for an explanation about the investigation. Its one thing to say they cant do any more because there are no leads, its another one to say they 'we dont deal with this type of thing'. This is a complex fraud no doubt but dont let them palm you off this easily.

Many thanks for the above, I may well take the action suggested both re the Daily Mail and the Police.
Bucket

One of the simplest ways to stop people getting scammed and not just from Boiler Rooms but fake banking emails, Nigerian conmen etc is to run public service adverts on the TV (and radio).

These could be cheaply produced and run several times a day. 15-20 seconds is all that's needed to get the main point across which is -

IF ANYONE CONTACTS YOU OUT OF THE BLUE VIA LETTER/EMAIL/COLD CALL WITH A BIG/EASY MONEY OFFER THEN 99% CHANCE IT'S A SCAM.

It wouldn't cost much and I reckon within a year the amount of people who get scammed would drop by at least 50% if not more.

So FSA and the Bankers Association why not stop thinking you're so important and having useless meetings all the time and instead try to do something proactive and help the man in the street............

One of the simplest ways to stop people getting scammed and not just from Boiler Rooms but fake banking emails, Nigerian conmen etc is to run public service adverts on the TV (and radio).

These could be cheaply produced and run several times a day. 15-20 seconds is all that's needed to get the main point across which is -

IF ANYONE CONTACTS YOU OUT OF THE BLUE VIA LETTER/EMAIL/COLD CALL WITH A BIG/EASY MONEY OFFER THEN 99% CHANCE IT'S A SCAM.

It wouldn't cost much and I reckon within a year the amount of people who get scammed would drop by at least 50% if not more.

So FSA and the Bankers Association why not stop thinking you're so important and having useless meetings all the time and instead try to do something proactive and help the man in the street............

I agree and its actually much cheaper than doing an investigation after the fact. The way I look at it is that it is a crime that the victim has the total power to prevent, you just dont send any money, nothing else is required of you.

Of course the criminals will adapt and change from selling shares to selling some other crap but the principle remains, cold call=scam.

Many thanks for the above, I may well take the action suggested both re the Daily Mail and the Police.
Bucket

Bucket,

I have another idea seeing as how you seem to have the energy to take some action on this matter. Have you thought that you may make a better impact by blitzing your local newspapers and radio stations? Certainly it would be good to get in the Daily Mail but I suspect that column is only read by people interested in investment.

If however you could get an article published in every newspapers in your town or city and on every consumer protection type radio show you may get the message out to a wider audience locally.

Most local papers are full of rubbish that's just there to make up the word count, lost cats, somebodies bicycle stolen etc. I have spoken to some of them in the past and they said they would run an article as long as it had local interest. Most of them let you write something and then submit it to them online.

Likewise your county's local BBC radio station may be interested.

You may well find that the story appearing in the local press has a strange effect on the police investigation as well, particularly if one were to drop the odd hint that the response to date has been slightly disappointing.

I've been saying it for years now -

It's a fact of modern life that most companies use deception and tricks to try to get hold of our cash. And when I say 'most companies' I include every company whether big or small. Take the banks as a great example - most of their personal finance products are designed to help them far more than their customers and some of them are basically outrageous like PPI insurance.

So everyone MUST LEARN NOT TO TRUST ANY COMPANY until you first research what they're selling. Do that and you'll normally avoid most if not all of the bad products and ALL OF THE SCAMS.

For example, say you are a first time buyer and want a mortgage. if you walk into Barclays/Natwest etc with this attitude 'I need a mortgage so this is the place to go' chances are you're being setup. How? Simple, they'll probably shaft you on both the fees which you won't properly understand and any insurance. The beauty of this for the banks is that you probably won't even know you're being shafted.

Sorry, but if that happens to you then you deserve it.

So what to do?

Simple, head into the same bank with this attitude 'yes, this bank sells mortgages but it's big business so there's a 98% chance they're going to try to stuff me up. So I'm going to listen politely to what they say then GO HOME AND DO MY OWN INDEPENDENT RESEARCH INTO WHAT THEY'RE ACTUALLY SELLING.

Do that proper research on the internet at the right sites (message boards are usually the best) and you'll instantly turn from a mug punter to a well informed one, one where it's going to be hard to pull a fast one on you.

Summary: Trust nobody these days until you really understand who you're dealing with, what sort of tricks they're likely to employ, and a thorough understanding of what you're buying.

Good luck and with the internet there is no excuse to be ripped off anymore whether from a legit company or a pure scam operation.......

Bucket,

I have another idea seeing as how you seem to have the energy to take some action on this matter. Have you thought that you may make a better impact by blitzing your local newspapers and radio stations? Certainly it would be good to get in the Daily Mail but I suspect that column is only read by people interested in investment.

If however you could get an article published in every newspapers in your town or city and on every consumer protection type radio show you may get the message out to a wider audience locally.

Most local papers are full of rubbish that's just there to make up the word count, lost cats, somebodies bicycle stolen etc. I have spoken to some of them in the past and they said they would run an article as long as it had local interest. Most of them let you write something and then submit it to them online.

Likewise your county's local BBC radio station may be interested.

You may well find that the story appearing in the local press has a strange effect on the police investigation as well, particularly if one were to drop the odd hint that the response to date has been slightly disappointing.

Many thanks for taking time out to submit your ideas, I am in the process of speaking with our local area paper which fortunately covers quite a wide populated area.Certainly I will bear in mind tour other points.
Bucket

Here is another scam that I recently came across:

Henderson Global Funds - They say they are from Tunbridge Wells and are actually impersonating a real company - who have a warning on their website - http://www.henderson.com/sites/henderson/securityinformation.aspx

They will probably call from a blocked number - but list thier number in corrspondance as 0203 384 6419 - they will also email from [email protected] - note that the real henderson site actually uses www.henderson.com.

I didn't get into how they exactly operate the scam as I didn't have the energy to listen to thier mindless drivel.

Just a followup on anyone who was contacted about Greencell Technologies.
The shares have risen as they were promoted to me, though the volumes are very low. This is the work of scamers. Also they were, according to Strathclyde (promoters), by law required to release within 30 days a news release on a significant deal that they had struck. Nothing reported by Greencell Technologies since I was originally contacted by Strathclyde back on Sept 26. This really is the work of scammers who are after nothing but your money. Will continue to monitor Greencell. Could lay a bet to anyone that Strathclyde is advising the stupids that they should hold for now, so that they can sell, pack their bags and leave.

Advice for all, stay away from all calls where you didn't ask for them to call you. If the deal is as good as they say, why are you being contacted, what are you to them. I didn't fall for the story.

Here is another scam that I recently came across:

Henderson Global Funds - They say they are from Tunbridge Wells and are actually impersonating a real company - who have a warning on their website - http://www.henderson.com/sites/henderson/securityinformation.aspx

They will probably call from a blocked number - but list thier number in corrspondance as 0203 384 6419 - they will also email from [email protected] - note that the real henderson site actually uses www.henderson.com.

I didn't get into how they exactly operate the scam as I didn't have the energy to listen to thier mindless drivel.

Re: Stratton Wainwright Advisory, Bio Defense

Not sure if anyone's posted, but I've found two links of interest here from the FSA in the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1309016/FSA-launches-BioDefense-shares-probe.html

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/consumerinformation/firmnews/2009/warning_mb_associates.shtml

Just in case anyone wasnt sure that this was a 100% scam...despite what "bigbrains" aka Brett Hamburger (Colombo crime family, convicted for fraud, etc) has to say about it...

http://www.legalmetric.com/cases/securities/ilnd/ilnd_197cv03061.html

Just came across this, any washing machine engineers out there that recognise any of the parts?

Actually I thought I remembered something about Fisher Capital Management, they were actually linked to Strathclyde Associates here http://twitter.com/sharescams but the original website is now down. That would make sense with them both selling GreenCell Technologies.

Cambridge and now Fisher have contacted me in the last 12 months. Same women on the phone - how could I forget her horrible accent and sickly sweet compliments ???

I'm going to Korea soon - maybe I should threaten to call in and see their set up !

Cambridge and now Fisher have contacted me in the last 12 months. Same women on the phone - how could I forget her horrible accent and sickly sweet compliments ???

I'm going to Korea soon - maybe I should threaten to call in and see their set up !

Interesting to see what excuse you get, you know they're nowhere near Korea, probably in Spain using a VOIP phone with a Korean number.

Interesting to see what excuse you get, you know they're nowhere near Korea, probably in Spain using a VOIP phone with a Korean number.

My brochure arrived earlier this afternoon. I checked on the GDAlliance tracking page :smart: - the origin of the shipment was Paranaque, Philippines.

I dont know if anyone posted this information yet but the following websites are hosted at the same IP address, Strathclyde Associates are probably the most famous, I dont know if anyone has posted anything about Shaw Capital yet.

Fishercapitalmanagement.com
Shaw-capital.com
Strathclydeassociates.net

Re: Phoenix Capital Partners

How detailed would you like? Full story would take many posts. Very briefly...
First dealt with them in 2004 following recommendation from a long time friend who invests all the time. Naively invested in the company Technology Assets (TNGA) who were running a Ukrainian Brick Mill. Sent money to K R Margetson in Canada. Was introduced to Jody Consulting who 'worked closely' with Phoenix. Was offered many other shares such as EMI, KATY, YASHENG, HUMLOG and ANGLO SWISS.
2005 -Was contacted by Cross Border Arbitrage about selling out of TNGA. Never happened.
2006 - Phoenix admited Saxena link but insisted that they had been done as much as the shareholder. Heard from TNGA CEO Jim Brown based in the Ukraine. Researched him and spoke to him (a number of times) and seemed above board. Promised that my investment would be honoured. Instructed by Jim Briown, I wrote to Candian mounted police and sent all details about the 'fraud'. No response.
2007 - Phoenix 'swap' me (for free) into PHX Holdings as long as I make a small investment in Texas Holdings (TXHG). Researched this and seemed OK. Wrong! Jim Brown again assures me that TNGA investment will be honoured.
2008 - PHX swap is not 'free'. My contact at Phoenix 'moves' to company Specialized Risk Solutions is still in the same building. Offered other investments through Phoenix associates Global Micro Cap supposedly in UK. My research draws a blank.
PHX are linked with Laipac Africa and huge amounts of data start coming though.
2009 - Promised dividends never arrive. Asked for money to help 'activate' PHX holdings - ignored. Asking becomes demanding. Ignored. Jim Brown is still going but has started building recycling plants.
2010 - Offer of $0.32 per share arrives today.
If any one is interested in the detail then let me know,

I'd very much like some more detail as I have had a very similar experience to you and am chasing Global MicroCap via Gwent Fraud people

My brochure arrived earlier this afternoon. I checked on the GDAlliance tracking page :smart: - the origin of the shipment was Paranaque, Philippines.

See, this is what's wrong with so many people caught up in boiler room scams (Andrew, I know you know they're scammers).

People will get these documents via courier and then won't think that's it strange they came from a scammers paradise.

Everyone - the clues are ALL around you that you're being setup by scammers so please use COMMON SENSE - that's all it takes :)

My number one common sense tip? USE THE INTERNET TO PROPERLY RESEARCH WHO YOU'RE ACTUALLY DEALING WITH. But then if you AUTOMATICALLY tell cold callers who call trying to sell you investments where to go then you will nip the problem in the bud.

Had some freak call me up the other day trying to sell me 'land' so I told the scamming prick where to go, he got annoyed, I laughed and then slammed the phone down. He then called back, I told him I don't deal with scammers and then he slammed the phone down :)