Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

I have been struggling to see the W’s and M’s that Bob sees. At times they are obvious and sometimes I just don’t see them. In reviewing his week 12 trades this morning there was one Ww variant in particular I could not see. So I opened the file in a photo editor and started playing around with the paint tools. I sort of just free hand followed the price with a broad brush and viola! It popped out at me. My take away from this is that Bob’s trained minds’ eye probably sees these things as clearly as the paint brush painted this one. What do you think?

There are many ways of viewing the same thing. One interpretation of the price action you posted is the one W that you highlighted. Another way, and the way I believe Bob intends, is that there are 2. Usually the first is more outspoken and the second somewhat smaller, hence the label Ww. However, in this case the formations are of similar in size, maybe more of a ww. But whatever you call it, the important thing is to recognise what it means in terms of a possible 10 pip ride. And I agree that Bob, and any other seasoned, successful trader, has experienced so much action (looking at charts till their eyes bleed) that recognition of such patterns becomes second nature - they see what others who aren't so well trained see - and that is what we are working towards.

Took one trade today. Not very good in hindsight, but the move was strong and the tipping point held graciously (finally learned to respect the tipping point).

Attachments

• 1 Monday.png
    1 Monday.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
something that might help

look at what price is doing in relation to the previous candle, specifically on a higher time frame

since you guys are using basically a 30 second chart or less in a fast market look at a 2 minute chart or,,,,

one thing i have noticed is a lot of times you'll have movement based on time, 4am (today 8gmt) 6am, 8am etc

-bill

EDIT

bigmiketrading.com is having a seminar tomorrow at 430pm (2030gmt) on post-trade analysis and improvement - mike typically records the webinars

EDIT2

BLS, thanks for the charts

:)

Last edited:
Good morning good afternoon good evening traders attached is my first scalp of the day. My entry was at 2861 and I exited the trade at 2870. My initial stop was placed just below the candles in the first blue circle. After the first moved back above the 20 EMA I move my stop up to just under the candles and the second blue circle. I exited the trade when the price again reach the resistance area shown by the yellow box. Although it would have been nice to catch the additional eight or nine pips I always remind myself its consistent scalping that's my bread-and-butter not trying to smack it out of the ballpark. The second photo shows a whipsaw in progress and is a reminder why proper money management is so important.

WilleeMac it's just my opinion the reason why this scalping method works well is its simplicity and having a sound set of simple rules to follow.The moment you add more charts, time frames, or indicators the more the system loses its effectiveness.

Good tradeing to all, TraderAllen

eu1_zps18f99020.png

eu2_zpsce4c5ff7.png

Thanks guys for the reading recommendations. I find it a challenge to enter or hold trades when up in the pip count. hopefully the books will help.

Attachments

• 3:26.png
    3:26.png
    11 KB · Views: 176
  • 3:26b.png
    3:26b.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 170
Two trades today.

Attachments

• 2 Tuesday.png
    2 Tuesday.png
    23 KB · Views: 185
  • 3 Tuesday.png
    3 Tuesday.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 177
Had my sleeping schedule disrupted this week so I haven't had a chance to trade until today. Not much during my session. Days like these I wish I lived on the east coast so I could catch more of the European session but then I remember how much I like the weather here...

One trade today. I may have been too eager in looking for continuation in this setup.

Attachments

• Untitled picture3.png
    Untitled picture3.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Untitled picture2.png
    Untitled picture2.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Untitled picture1.png
    Untitled picture1.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 166
One trade today. It looks good to me in hindsight but at the time I was doubting myself after getting stopped out.
I had a lot of things on my mind and that made me miss a potential opportunity which does look a bit questionable to me in hindsight, see M on chart):
"Did I assess the situation incorrectly?
Did I take a bad trade? Was my trade premature?
I don't think price will break out any time soon
given what just happened. It'll probably just cluster
a bit more."

I wasn't expecting a breakout at M (see chart). I limited my thinking and that affected my ability to judge the price action. I failed to notice that a false higher high was printed (where I got stopped out on E1). I was caught by surprise when price broke out the way it did and wasn't ready to trade. I usually go through a list of trading advice before I trade that reminds me not to limit my thinking by imagining what is going to happen next and then needing to see it happen, but I didn't have time for that today before I got into E1.

Attachments

• UntitledPicture1.png
    UntitledPicture1.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 215
I think your initial trade was good ; trade management and tipping point were done right as well.

Sometimes it's hard to re-enter. I'm lucky enough to almost never "imagine" and try to "forecast" the price action. However, I'm disturbed by another "folly" which is thinking "it didn't break once, why would it break now?" but that is of course the wrong way of going about it. The proper thing to do is to re-asses all the technical signs again. We must put all "non technical" thinking aside. There is no saying when and how a setup is going to break or when a given trend will stop. One quote that comes to mind is when Bob says that trading is a lot like math: one must count all the positive clues and then all the negative clues and then see which number is bigger.

That brings a question... How should we interpret the failed break that you took? Here E1 wasn't a false break, nor a tease, in the sense that there was buildup. However, the break got shot down. In my mind that spells bullish force, and therefore a deterrent from taking another bearish trade. But I think Bob's reasoning here would go something like this: sure the break failed, however bulls weren't strong enough to drive prices back up, prices were still stuck very close to the range and there were no signs of upside pressure. Bulls merely printed a false high and prices reverted back down. I think this bearish action is enough to cancel out the fact that the previous break (E1) failed, which was a strong bullish sign when taken up on its own. When comparing it to the subsequent price action, this bullish sign lost it's importance. Also, candles printed another nice buildup just before the actual break (M).

Writing this post actually gave me an "aha!" moment. In the past when seeing a break fail I was very unsure about how to interpret it (is a break in the same direction still valid?). Now I think I know. Any opinions are welcome on this.

I'm not sure if a problem pattern has resurfaced or not. What's happened before is that I get a feeling of "missing out" when I see big moves and skipped setups work out but I made efforts to stop that pattern from happening. I saw three possible setups work out today but I didn't feel like I was "missing out" at the time. But then when I take a look at the trades I took today and I just wonder if I took those trades because I "missed out" earlier and traded into visible chart resistance or took entries that were more aggressive than I usually would take.

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Untitled picture1.png
    Untitled picture1.png
    31 KB · Views: 178
I'm not sure if a problem pattern has resurfaced or not. What's happened before is that I get a feeling of "missing out" when I see big moves and skipped setups work out but I made efforts to stop that pattern from happening. I saw three possible setups work out today but I didn't feel like I was "missing out" at the time. But then when I take a look at the trades I took today and I just wonder if I took those trades because I "missed out" earlier and traded into visible chart resistance or took entries that were more aggressive than I usually would take.

Hi BLS,
I felt equally frustrated. I made a few pips on the earlier move down, but the massive bull caught me by surprise. When I saw what appeared to be a final flag, I was getting ready for topping and a possible correction to the downside (bad bias?). I caught myself constantly flipping to the 5 min chart where I more clearly noticed a big wedge formation (you can also see it on the 70 tick) that then broke out to the upside with incredible strength.

Attachments

• April4_13.jpg
    April4_13.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 198
Hi BLS,
I felt equally frustrated. I made a few pips on the earlier move down, but the massive bull caught me by surprise. When I saw what appeared to be a final flag, I was getting ready for topping and a possible correction to the downside (bad bias?). I caught myself constantly flipping to the 5 min chart where I more clearly noticed a big wedge formation (you can also see it on the 70 tick) that then broke out to the upside with incredible strength.

BLS/ReinLudwig,

I have just worked through and excellent DVD workshop from Mark Douglas (of Trading in the Zone/Disciplined Trader fame). It is called "How to Think Like a Professional Trader", and complements the material in his books. I consider it one of the best educational investments I have made. Just reading your messages made me think it may help, as I was in a similar space a while back.

Best regards, Jeremy

BLS/ReinLudwig,

I have just worked through and excellent DVD workshop from Mark Douglas (of Trading in the Zone/Disciplined Trader fame). It is called "How to Think Like a Professional Trader", and complements the material in his books. I consider it one of the best educational investments I have made. Just reading your messages made me think it may help, as I was in a similar space a while back.

Best regards, Jeremy

Appreciate the pointer, Jeremy! I will take a look! Best, rein

After a couple of month I re-start trading with Volman PA and I'll be happy to share with u some chart hoping I'll learn something about this method that I don't understand at all. I have some difficulties when I must decide to filter a trade or take it, that is when the pattern isn't a textbook one and the overall picture don't show a clear range market or trend.

Cheers, Iacopo

Last edited:
BLS/ReinLudwig,

Best regards, Jeremy

I've tried to read through Trading in the Zone but I found it hard to get through the verbose language (he really needed an editor). I'll give it another try. Thanks

I have some difficulties when I must decide to filter a trade or take it, that is when the pattern isn't a textbook one and the overall picture don't show a clear range market or trend.
It's probably best to just skip it then if you feel you can't get a good read on the current price action. Do take note of what you think seems likely based on your current analysis and put it on your charts to review later. Just remember that whatever price does is just information. If one of the possible trades that you marked on your chart happens to work out try not to feel like you missed out. Similarly if a possible trade failed try not to feel "smart" for skipping it. Review your notes later after your session and try to evaluate those possible trades with only the bars prior to the break visible on your chart.

Feeling better today. I was watching price rather patiently when I noticed that it pulled back ~50% from the earlier bull move after the NFP release. There was lengthy clash when it finally looked like the bulls had the upper hand. That trade was ~2 pip short of target but I wasn't bothered by that at all since I felt I did the right thing in taking this trade unlike yesterday where I just wasn't sure. The setup was favorably located with good build up, and had a good tipping point.

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 209
  • UntitledPicture2.png
    UntitledPicture2.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 201
Feeling better today. I was watching price rather patiently when I noticed that it pulled back ~50% from the earlier bull move after the NFP release. There was lengthy clash when it finally looked like the bulls had the upper hand. That trade was ~2 pip short of target but I wasn't bothered by that at all since I felt I did the right thing in taking this trade unlike yesterday where I just wasn't sure. The setup was favorably located with good build up, and had a good tipping point.[/QUOTE]

Nice move!

I stayed on the sideline during the explosive phase. I did, however, spot an ARB earlier in the morning (~2:30EST). Admittedly the signal line looked ugly, but I sensed pressure build-up and an unobstructed path to my 10p profit target. And after a retest of the signal line it did succeed.

Attachments

• EURUSDApr05(1)_13.jpg
    EURUSDApr05(1)_13.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 285