" Be a Professional Trader " - trading Turtorial Session by Anton Kreil

free 2 hour seminar? when and how? can't hurt if I'm doing nothing better (which I should be lol!). Best case I learn something, worst case I get some Teh Realz Werld Lulz to post about...

Where is the ad that says free? Was he not the guy who was charging £299 for a LUNCH with a seminar thrown in?

Where is the ad that says free? Was he not the guy who was charging £299 for a LUNCH with a seminar thrown in?

there are various seminars, I went to a 2hour seminar on thursday 13th october at kings college london, it was free , there were about 70 people in the lecture room. He shows you mathematically that day trading using a spread bet account is a very tough way to make money. He explains how professional hedge fund traders trade the markets, If you want to learn how to trade like a professional hedge fund trader then you can do the 9am to 5pm all day course which he charges for, I am not sure the exact sum but its less than £500 (depending on the exact course you take)

I used to know a guy that ran a fund and he told me he used to work with Anton. He told me about him before the TV show even came on air that he was a very successful man, worth millions and retired aged 28 out in Brazil. He was a trader (so not some guy in M&A or something that made a fortune and decided "thats close enough to trading I can flog that horse"). So as for his CV he is a very successful guy and checks out.

But to be honest, I dont think you can learn how to trade in a 2 day seminar. You'll probably fast track what you can learn in 3-4 months reading/simulated trading. So if you are a newbie, that has no issue with spending a few hundred quid learning the basics im sure it will be beneficial.

But if you are expecting the holy grail of trading that will teach you how to make millions you are bound to be disappointed.

As for "why would he do it if he is successful". A couple of hundred grand for a seminar leveraging a bit of TV exposure is not chump change by any means no matter how much you are worth

I went to one of Anton's seminars whilst at uni last year in Manchester and felt I gained a really valuable insight into the art of trading.

It's a full-on crash course for two days learning everything from the top down, with the chance to join his institute, which gives you daily updates on global market movements, at the end. You'll also get a reference and a nice little addition to your CV.

Those who would consider themselves experts may be frustrated at first, since it starts off fairly elementary, but you'll gain a lot from being able to ask the guy questions on practically anything finance related.

His approach to trading is particularly interesting. He hedges almost any trade to factor out external influences, whilst using leading indicators such as US building permits or UMCSENT to decide how to load these positions in line with his macro-view. At the time, all 3 indicators being used suggested Q4 2011 or Q1 2012 recession, which certainly seems to be unfolding.

Trading is all about information. The chance to gain perspective from someone so experienced is an opportunity you shouldn't turn down!

I went to one of Anton's seminars whilst at uni last year in Manchester and felt I gained a really valuable insight into the art of trading.

It's a full-on crash course for two days learning everything from the top down, with the chance to join his institute, which gives you daily updates on global market movements, at the end. You'll also get a reference and a nice little addition to your CV.

Those who would consider themselves experts may be frustrated at first, since it starts off fairly elementary, but you'll gain a lot from being able to ask the guy questions on practically anything finance related.

His approach to trading is particularly interesting. He hedges almost any trade to factor out external influences, whilst using leading indicators such as US building permits or UMCSENT to decide how to load these positions in line with his macro-view. At the time, all 3 indicators being used suggested Q4 2011 or Q1 2012 recession, which certainly seems to be unfolding.

Trading is all about information. The chance to gain perspective from someone so experienced is an opportunity you shouldn't turn down!

OK You have sold the concept on me, now lets get Anton to sell me the course. Where do I get the free seminar details so I can see for myself.
:smart::smart::smart::smart::smart::smart:

:LOL:

I went to one of his seminars at a discount (99). He didn't teach anything particularly special, but it was presented really well.
Certainly if you are a retail equities trader of any kind you'll absolutely need to know everything thats taught in that seminar at some point or another - the cost of it was less than a stopped out trade so imho, it was worth it.
It mostly teaches the basics in terms of long/short equity trading, and focuses on long term fundamentals

I sometimes go to his trader meetings (i hide out in the background) where they do market summary/research and give trade ideas

Overall my impression of him is that he is an incredibly sharp guy. The whole institute thing is probably because hes retired, and wants something to do. Obviously, my view is slightly biased since i've met him personally a few times
His background is definitely legit though, hes made his millions trading some absolutely ridiculous sizes in banks, and hes definitely an incredibly strong equities trader (he mostly does long/short strategies)

His approach to trading is particularly interesting. He hedges almost any trade to factor out external influences

Too funny.

So he basically hedges his downside risk, and therefore can only profit. So heads he breaks even and tails he wins!

Talk about a perpetual money making machine :cheesy:

What he means is that he runs long/short equities positions to hedge out market risk

Great idea in practice but happens if his shorts go higher and his longs go lower. It happens all the time............

Then you lose money?

Pretty sure not every trade works out, theres a stoploss for every pair

Afaik his portfolio is net neutral right now

Yes you do lose money, but long/short equities is no hedge, it's a trading position on the spread differential between the two.

lets take a sector say retail, he may find a strong stock like TSCO and against that find a weak stock like SBRY, he would go long TSCO and short SBRY. So he has one risk left that is that SBRY might outperform TSCO over a 3 month period, highly unlikely

I don't see what all the fuss is about really, its just fundamental portfolio theory put in practise

That is all he is teaching, which is something that every retail investor should know, and something that a lot of retail investors DONT know

as the turtles showed you can give 10 people the exact same strat and some will make it and some won't which means it ain't about the strat.

lets take a sector say retail, he may find a strong stock like TSCO and against that find a weak stock like SBRY, he would go long TSCO and short SBRY. So he has one risk left that is that SBRY might outperform TSCO over a 3 month period, highly unlikely

Why?

What's to stop TSCO from topping out and SBRY from rallying sharply on better outlook? I'm sure right now there are plenty of traders with both sides of the trade on, some long TSCO against SBRY others short TSCO.

Long/short trading often seems at first glance to be a nirvana - take market direction risk out of the equation. Sure, you can do that to a certain degree, but all you've swapped is direction risk for spread direction risk and that can be just as lethal.

Chart 2 related stocks against each other, then chart an index. See how price on both charts can move up, down and sideways? Therefore both are as hard to trade and as hard to generate profits as each other otherwise everyone would be running 'easier' and more profitable long/short portfolios and cleaning up.

There is probably an edge though with a long/short portfolio in a big down market, ie it should lose less and can even gain. But with investing/trading there's normally a flip side and in this case a long/short portfolio will normally underperform the overall market in a strong up move.

Just trying to put the other side of the argument out there.

Why?

What's to stop TSCO from topping out and SBRY from rallying sharply on better outlook? I'm sure right now there are plenty of traders with both sides of the trade on, some long TSCO against SBRY others short TSCO.

Long/short trading often seems at first glance to be a nirvana - take market direction risk out of the equation. Sure, you can do that to a certain degree, but all you've swapped is direction risk for spread direction risk and that can be just as lethal.

Chart 2 related stocks against each other, then chart an index. See how price on both charts can move up, down and sideways? Therefore both are as hard to trade and as hard to generate profits as each other otherwise everyone would be running 'easier' and more profitable long/short portfolios and cleaning up.

There is probably an edge though with a long/short portfolio in a big down market, ie it should lose less and can even gain. But with investing/trading there's normally a flip side and in this case a long/short portfolio will normally underperform the overall market in a strong up move.

Just trying to put the other side of the argument out there.

I am just saying what he advises doing, TSCO/SBRY is just an example.

What is the performance data like for Hedge funds, do they out perform passive index trackers?

Last edited:
A professional trader making money from selling seminars!

The horror!

I've been to Anton's seminars and they're actually very good.

He teaches you how the prop traders at banks and hedge funds actually trade to make money. He also covers risk management and beta hedging.

I've been to a few different seminars and this is definitely not one of those "buy when this line crosses this line" type of snake oil programs!

I have traded for 4 years on and off, with mixed success.

The knowledge I got from the seminars has helped me to approach the markets in a totally different way and it was pretty invaluable.

Anyway, you pay your money, you take your choice.

The trading institute that he runs holds a free fortnightly "trader meeting", which is filmed and then published on the website, totally free to watch and gives a lot of good trade ideas.

Oh and someone asked about performance data - traders through the Institute this year have as a group, outperformed the Credit Suisse Hedge Fund index.

Like I say, you pay your money, you take your choice.