Ban the Burqa

How delightful would it have been (for the whole country) if one stand up person like Mr Prescott stepped up to that hoodie and gave him a slap and if he demonstrated a left or a right hook to shut em up

The guy hit by Prescott was not wearing a hood and wasn't a hoodie by any measure. Hoodies would not have dared to put themselves at the level of risk that this guy did. He also got the better of Prescott and held him down over a wall before being wrestled off by Labour activists and the police. That said it was the most entertaining part of that whole election campaign.

Paul

We are OK as long as you keep your bloody football teams away from us!

http://www.news.com.au/world/fan-ri...pions-league-win/story-e6frfkyi-1225717427486

Atilla, Italy, this is where you want to go? :LOL:

I do like football but not fanatical about it. Hopefully far from any football stadium I'd hope.

We've recently moved to Worthing - down Brighton way - but despite there being a better atmosphere and better pace of life its not ideal. The sea has contributed to our life style but still not an ideal resting place. The Mrs is the driving force here as Italian was her subject at university where we met. She spent a year in Venice as well as having done au pair type work when younger.

I simply love Italian design/style/cars/food/architecture/history etc etc... I guess you recognise the link between Atilla, Venice and history. How very strange - life pans out.

We are looking at the possibility whilst kids are still young. We've had holidays around - Venice, Verona and Lake Garda a few times and love the place. I think either way it would be an adventure and give the children some language skills and widen their horizons.

Re: Locations that's the hard part and so far I have my eyes around the skirts of Milan being the financial centre of Italy. I think I would struggle the most probably but shouldn't think I'd have much trouble with the language sooner or later would learn.

It is in the early stages but a very serious consideration. Especially when we get rid of the London property in a couple of years time probably near the olympics (or Worthing) depending on how life develops. I like the idea of having homes in both places. There are also flights to Milan from the City Airport so that would be convenient.

We'll see how events unfold...

Typical picture taken in Milan

264804-ambrose-ackroyd-albums-ambrose-ackroyd-s-pictures-picture1642-typical-milan.jpg

Enjoy Atilla

Can you possibly take some people from here with you when you go? Like LostPigeonPoo and one or two others I might suggest?

I would not advise you to move for the reasons you state. You'll find just the same people there as well

(y)

dd

[edit] I've just realised, I should have posted this on Lost pigeon coo's thread. If you look carefully I think you might see him somewhere in the back ground.

Last edited:
(y)

dd

[edit] I've just realised, I should have posted this on Lost pigeon coo's thread. If you look carefully I think you might see him somewhere in the back ground.

Poor Oz, but it's their fault. They should be rounded up and deported.

(y)

dd

Yes true - the grass is always greener on the other side - so they say...

As per accidents - it is amazing with all our health and safety this stuff happens. As usual people have no common sense.

In my time when we did PE and played football jewelry was not allowed. These days they all wear necklaces - ear rings and all sorts of other crap to beautify them selves. I don't know any more... :rolleyes:

Just asking for trouble with those accidents but still all very sad. :cry:

Westerners associate the covered face with threatening figures:

bank robbers, muggers, the hangman/executioner, the grim reaper, nights in armour (and the modern day equivalent of the SAS soldier dressed all in black), rioters, samurai, ninja, the masked highwayman, burglars, Darth Vader, the scalpel wieding surgeon, the hoodie and yes the rag head terrorist.

These are all examples of images that stimulate fear in our minds.

In Western culture people who cover their face are perceived as having something to hide, are a threat and mean harm.

Therefore the Burqa/niqab will always provoke fear on Western streets and it is fear that determines our reaction to them.

As a result of this cultural incompatibility it is generally considered rude and offensive in Western society to hide ones face in public.

Unfortunately there is no law against being rude to people and the previous link to the Lebanese Hoons vid is a good example of this.

Although I personally am offended by the veil I accept it and try to draw something positive from it.

I have always felt that the best people to teach us manners are those that lack them and there is much to be learned from these silly Muslim women in these ridiculous outfits.

In short, those that choose to hide their faces from society deserve to be ignored, and that is how they should be treated.

Atilla! How come you're not getting all excited about this computer virus thingy that's affected all these Iranian nuclear technicians?

I thought that as an IT chap and trade2win's resident conspiracy theorist expert you would have jumped straight on this one?

I'm almost disappointed in you.

dd

Atilla! How come you're not getting all excited about this computer virus thingy that's affected all these Iranian nuclear technicians?

I thought that as an IT chap and trade2win's resident conspiracy theorist expert you would have jumped straight on this one?

I'm almost disappointed in you.

dd

It's old news. I hope you realise that news was out several weeks ago. Moreover, not sure about the validity of it or implementation. What is to stop the virus being used against our infrastructure?

This piece of news is the same as the duff / defective components that were supposedly sold to the Iranians in the building of their reactors.

As mentioned before disinformation is more of a headache in intelligence than real piece of information. Requires colloboration from more than one source before it can be acknowledged as beind valid. You know all this already don't you? Iranians are now scratching their heads spending time effort and money verifying and double-checking all kinds of code and hardware. Do they ignore the news or treat is seriously. Do they trust the Russians or do they think they are in cahoots with the US? Who knows?

However, if their nuclear reactor does go tits up the neighbouring countries including Russia have to think consequences of fall out. That includes Iraq & Afghanistan. It is a **** world. I don't know and I don't care to be honest. Sorry to dissapoint you. I'm becoming a budhist in my old age...

As Murphy say what ever happens will happen at the worst possible time, when you are least prepared such that the consequences will cause the most damage.

What will be - will be! When the time comes just grin and bear it as if you are having the best constipated crap of your life in to a bucket out on the side of a mountain in Nepal with the temperature at -10C... :cheesy:

Westerners associate the covered face with threatening figures:

bank robbers, muggers, the hangman/executioner, the grim reaper, nights in armour (and the modern day equivalent of the SAS soldier dressed all in black), rioters, samurai, ninja, the masked highwayman, burglars, Darth Vader, the scalpel wieding surgeon, the hoodie and yes the rag head terrorist.

These are all examples of images that stimulate fear in our minds.

In Western culture people who cover their face are perceived as having something to hide, are a threat and mean harm.

Therefore the Burqa/niqab will always provoke fear on Western streets and it is fear that determines our reaction to them.

As a result of this cultural incompatibility it is generally considered rude and offensive in Western society to hide ones face in public.

Unfortunately there is no law against being rude to people and the previous link to the Lebanese Hoons vid is a good example of this.

Although I personally am offended by the veil I accept it and try to draw something positive from it.

I have always felt that the best people to teach us manners are those that lack them and there is much to be learned from these silly Muslim women in these ridiculous outfits.

In short, those that choose to hide their faces from society deserve to be ignored, and that is how they should be treated.

dd

As for the burqa - you are wrong. It has no place in Islam. It is a veil of vanity. It is not about modesty. The people who wear it are stuck up **** heads who think they know Islam and they are good little muslims. In fact they think they are better than others that is where they are wrong. They lecture and talk at you whilst jabbing their fingers in your face. Stupid arrogant idiots... It is not about the essence of faith and devotion but about the practice and appearances for show.

Bit like poor mans Dallas. Stupid and daft as it sounds that is the crux of it. Don't give them the benefit of the doubt imho.

I was talking to an Afghan lady once and she almost took my head off literally becoming aggressive because I spoke against it. The strange thing is she didn't wear anything like it - wore trousers and skirts but defended it as if her honour depended on it. Confused cow. She was a nice lady - modern, well spoken and modestly dressed. Good at her job and very articulate. What is the outcome of all this??? It was purely cultural. She said she wears it when she goes to Afghanistan. Because it was associated with Afghanistan she was for some profound obscure confused reason defending it. Such is life. When in Rome do as the Romans dooo...

You see I'm not a very nice person and probably equally opinionated in my old age even more so as I become (dare I say) wiser.

Most muslims do not believe or follow this extreme practice of Islam as it bears no resemblance or relevance to their faith. Let's hope it stays that way.

I quite like Indonesians and Malaysians actually. They are simply as they are. No pretensions and vanity like the people from ME. Just my opinion...

As for the burqa - you are wrong. It has no place in Islam.

Wow! You actually got something right! Next thing the blind will see and the lame will walk.

Seriously, this is a good point. The various forms of "modest" dress are cultural, not religious. It seems that these codes of dress are spreading with the growing influence of more extreme strains of Islam.

As for the burqa - you are wrong. It has no place in Islam.

I never said it did?

I don't care if Muslims want to wear silly clothes or shave their willies or store food in their beards or self flagellate or any other silly custom. That's their own stupid fault.

It is a veil of vanity. It is not about modesty. The people who wear it are stuck up **** heads who think they know Islam and they are good little muslims. In fact they think they are better than others that is where they are wrong. They lecture and talk at you whilst jabbing their fingers in your face. Stupid arrogant idiots... It is not about the essence of faith and devotion but about the practice and appearances for show.

Yup, sounds about right to me.

You see I'm not a very nice person and probably equally opinionated in my old age even more so as I become (dare I say) wiser.

:rolleyes:

I quite like Indonesians and Malaysians actually. They are simply as they are. No pretensions and vanity like the people from ME. Just my opinion...

You might spot some parallels here?.......Our World - Clash of Faiths

[There appears to be some kind of bug in the first 4 mins of the vid so you'll need to fast forward past it]

dd

I never said it did?

Yep quite right I'm sorry for mis-quoting you.

I don't care if Muslims want to wear silly clothes or shave their willies or store food in their beards or self flagellate or any other silly custom. That's their own stupid fault.

Yup, sounds about right to me.

:rolleyes:

You might spot some parallels here?.......Our World - Clash of Faiths

[There appears to be some kind of bug in the first 4 mins of the vid so you'll need to fast forward past it]

dd

I do remember seeing something along these lines but I also think some people were trying to create a Christian uprising and I think the violance went two ways.

I like the fact that a person can wear a burqa in this country. I like the fact that our Police can arrest a person suspected of committing an offence and take steps to ascertain their identity: this would include the removal of a burqa. I like the fact that our Police can't detain a person who is not suspected of an offence.

These things make me feel safer in the UK.

I would feel safer yet if some of my countrymen would emigrate.