Automatic Pattern Search

Interesting paper. I hope he posts the full version...Does anyone have any idea about which programs he is talking about?

One of them is MetaStock, I've got a copy and it does have those flaws.
Most MS users have learnt to work round them by not using the "Enhanced System Tester" as it is called (I dread to think what it was before it was "enhanced"!) and use instead the "Explorer" (the scanner) with indicators.
Two programmers have done excellent work on this subject: Jose Silva and Roy Larsen.
The other system is probably TradeStation, which was the one used by M.Harris in his first two books, and which language is much more powerful than MetaStock's.

Eduardo.:)

One of them is MetaStock, I've got a copy and it does have those flaws.
Most MS users have learnt to work round them by not using the "Enhanced System Tester" as it is called (I dread to think what it was before it was "enhanced"!) and use instead the "Explorer" (the scanner) with indicators.
Two programmers have done excellent work on this subject: Jose Silva and Roy Larsen.
The other system is probably TradeStation, which was the one used by M.Harris in his first two books, and which language is much more powerful than MetaStock's.

I'm not too familiar with Metasstock. I think the Explorer is for checking for positions, not for back-testing, isn't this right? It seems M. Harris is talking about a different issue in his paper. For example, someone back-tests a system and gets good results where in reality those results are not so great because of some trivial errors. Do I get this right?

I'm not too familiar with Metasstock. I think the Explorer is for checking for positions, not for back-testing, isn't this right? It seems M. Harris is talking about a different issue in his paper. For example, someone back-tests a system and gets good results where in reality those results are not so great because of some trivial errors. Do I get this right?

M.Harris uses MetaStock system tester, which is where the problem lies; it just happens that MS users got to find a way round the problem by using indicators and the Explorer, which is MS scanning facility - you write a formula for a strategy, eg., close>10Periods Moving Average, then scan a selected universe of stock/indices/commodities/etc..., and the scan will give you a list of those which happen to have such condition; the closest APS got is the pattern scan engine.
Roy Larsen writes a newsletter about MS strategies and how to deal with such short comings; but M.Harris is right, trading software out there have a lot of hidden defects which are not disclosed and can make a trader lose money.
He covered some of this subject in his books, which is the reason why he offers a backtesting facility with APS.

i,m looking for charts with excessive volume on the day (ft250) which is usually found at tops/bottoms,i need a free charting package with volume and a scroller. tia.

Has anyone tried the p-indicator function of the APS software? It sounds like a new and interesting idea.

Has anyone tried the p-indicator function of the APS software? It sounds like a new and interesting idea.

I tried the demo of v8 when it was announced. The p-Indicator looks like a nice idea but they cancelled this feature for upgrades and now I see that the company website is not even available. Anyone knows what is going on?

Can anybody advise whether the APS version 8 demo is a full version or does it have restricted functions with it being a demo.

Also is it significantly better than the earlier versions?

Can anybody advise whether the APS version 8 demo is a full version or does it have restricted functions with it being a demo.

If I recall correctly the demo does not allow looking at the code of the patterns. A couple more functions are not enabled but I don't recall which ones. Better to contact the company and ask them.

Yes, v8.0 is significantly different from previous versions and not compatible with them. It runs on Windows 7 with no problems so far.

Code:

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/Support/demohelp/demohelp.html

"The demo is fully functional except for complete code generation and system tracking. The demo may be used for the purpose of understanding the functionality of the software, like for instance the process of discovering price patterns and building trading systems. There is a time limit on the number of executions (about 20 depending on use and the demo cannot run more than 24 hours straight). We strongly recommend using the demo to become familiar with the program before ordering a license. "

Thanks for the info ronblack & intradaybill, much appreciated.

I'll try and spend some time on the demo before (if that's ok) pose some more questions.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info ronblack & intradaybill, much appreciated.

I'll try and spend some time on the demo before (if that's ok) pose some more questions.

Thanks again.

Did you try the demo? What do you think about the indicator?

Does anyone have any experience with the pIndicator? Any good?

I am looking at NInjaTrader at the moment. It looks like it is much more easier to develop strategies in this program. It is also easier to use the data from NInja with APS. I was told next upgrade will be able to read the NInja export format directly and no conversions will be required.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at NInjaTrader at the moment. It looks like it is much more easier to develop strategies in this program. It is also easier to use the data from NInja with APS. I was told next upgrade will be able to read the NInja export format directly and no conversions will be required.

It does read the daily data format directly with the current version 8.0. I tried it and it worked but I found NT a bit complicated to use for me. They have the details on the website:

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/Support/ninja/ninja.html

Online Forex Broker - Interbank FX
Interbank FX provides award winning Forex software with free Forex trading tools.
also as a free auto pattern search. good luck

I am looking to buy some intraday data for forex and emini.

There is a list on the tradingpatterns site of the options of which one is qcollector which collects free data from internet eg yahoo, msn. Has anybody tried this (I would have thought using msn and yahoo data would not be accurate).

I was first considering disktrading99 data and pittrading.

May I ask the more experienced aps users here which source of data they use.

Many thanks

Last edited:
I am looking to buy some intraday data for forex and emini.

There is a list on the tradingpatterns site of the options of which one is qcollector which collects free data from internet eg yahoo, msn. Has anybody tried this (I would have thought using msn and yahoo data would not be accurate).

I was first considering disktrading99 data and pittrading.

May I ask the more experienced aps users here which source of data they use.

Many thanks

Hi.

List of vendors with search criteria:

http://technical.traders.com/Products/catsearch.asp?cat=60

Futures

http://www.tickdata.com/

I have not used this one:

http://www.kibot.com/buy.aspx

Do you use APS to trade?

Hey guys, are you still around? I made a deal with tradingpatterns.com to upgrade to v8.0 with the p-indicator. Anyone using it? After reading about it I am 99% convinced it is the most advanced TA indicator. I would not expect anything less from Michael Harris.

Hi Bill

Thanks for the links.

I've followed this thread with great interest and have got Michael Harris's 3 books, nearly finished his third.

I have bought the version 8 a few weeks ago and have bought data from disktrading.is99.com. I think I need some time to experiment how to make its full use.

I understand that I need to develop an intraday system to use it to its full potential, however as a start I did a pattern search on EOD spy with a range of t/s eg 77,75,55,53,33 etc I ended up with over 500 patterns. I chose EOD to experiment with because of the extra time it takes with intraday searches.

I am now trying to grasp the ANDing idea - I suppose that will come with experimenting.

Thanks for all your and other peoples contributions on this forum, it really helps.

Last edited: