Automatic Pattern Search

This is a discussion on Automatic Pattern Search within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; I'm looking for a used copy of APS latest version. Please send pm, do not send email. Jim...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:07pm   #21
Joined Sep 2006
I'm looking for a used copy of APS latest version. Please send pm, do not send email. Jim
dmilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:01pm   #22
Joined Jun 2006
Hello dmilong. I'm using aps for about two months. I think you will have a hard time getting a used copy. It's bettter to order it through the company Tradingpatterns.com. If you need any hints on how to use the program let me know and I will try to find some time for you. APS is an excellent piece of software, it is very different from mainstream trading software but user friendly and it does what it is supposed to do.

John
John Devine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:24am   #23
Joined Sep 2006
Hello John and thank you for you offer. I purchased APS and i wonder if you can help me to develop for me a few support functions in excel or some other prog-lang to handle open positions on a consulting basis of course. The program is really cool and something really different as you said. I e-mailed you a week ago but no reply, maybe you are using some spamarrest service. Looking forward to your reply. Jim
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:06pm   #24

Joined Oct 2006
Has anyone done any forward tests of the patterns generated by APS? I installed the demo version and it appears user-friendly and easy to use. I think there is a way to forward test the patterns in the demo version - the code is not necessary.

If this really works it's the way to go. Ron
ronblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:48am   #25
Joined Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronblack
Has anyone done any forward tests of the patterns generated by APS?
I'm a new user and I'm working on this issue right now. I have two copies of the softwarte, one to get patterns and the other to forward test them (tradingpatterns.com will give you two passwords for running APS on two different machines if you ask for it).

Initial results for S&P 500 futures tell me that a good number of patterns pass the forward test. About 30% of the patterns I have tested up to now fail the test and half of these turn unprofitable out-of-sample.

Conclusion: the more patterns that show up in a scan the higher the probability of the signal hitting its preset target.

Next, I plan to forward test delay patterns.It's amazing what this program can do. Jim
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:51pm   #26

Joined Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmilong
Conclusion: the more patterns that show up in a scan the higher the probability of the signal hitting its preset target.
This reminds me of something like the Bayes rule in statistics. There is some true into that unless the market suddenly reverses due to some non-technical condition or other development. But overall, this is a sound mathematical approach worth looking into.

Good idea dmilong

Ron
ronblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:26am   #27
Joined Sep 2006
I think so Ron. I'm working on an algorithm that calculates the probability of a winner at any given time based on the frequency and number of generated patterns by APS. It isn't the Holy Grail but I'm sure it'll get close enough.

Jim
Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:13pm   #28

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamy
Hi,

check out www.tradingbasis.com

They offer much more tools. The website looks better. i have not tested the APS tools but i have purchased the tradingbasis tools and i am happy so far :-)

Jamy

Are you still happy with tradingbasis ? Please could you say why you think it is so good.
Thx
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:48pm   #29

Joined Mar 2004
An interesting snippet from last night's radio4 was that Man the biggest hedge fund in the world worth £50 billion, has been using a computerised black box system to make their trades since the 1980s. It displaced their commodity traders.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:28am   #30
Joined Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494
An interesting snippet from last night's radio4 was that Man the biggest hedge fund in the world worth £50 billion, has been using a computerised black box system to make their trades since the 1980s. It displaced their commodity traders.
Probably it's something as simple as a 3-MA cross. All that counts is discipline. In the long term a disciplined trader with a mediocre system will do better than a compulsive trader with a superb system.

Jim