Automatic Pattern Search

This is a discussion on Automatic Pattern Search within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Traders' June issue has a review of APS Automatic Pattern Search: www.traders-mag.com Alexander...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 18, 2005, 6:07pm   #11

Joined Mar 2005
Traders' June issue has a review of APS Automatic Pattern Search:

www.traders-mag.com

Alexander
Old May 19, 2005, 6:54am   #12
Joined Apr 2005
Review Of APS

Hi Alexander, tks for informing me abt the review of APS in the mag. Do u have a working APS or know whoever have it, which I can swap. I can send u my list of trading materials that I had acquired over the years. Tks.

Regards.
Dan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:03am   #13

Joined Mar 2005
>Do u have a working APS or know whoever have it, which I can swap...

Yes, try: www.tradingpatterns.com

Alexander
Old May 19, 2005, 1:56pm   #14
Joined Apr 2005
How long have u been using APS? I doubt its ability in generate profit in LONG TERM mainly because it uses a fixed price target which in many cases equal or less than the stoploss. Through the patterns generate a positive expectancy, its too low (Usually around 0.5) to provide stability in generating profit in long run. Any slipage or unexpected gap can wipe out the all the past many minor profit. Lastly it goes against the old classic "let profit run & cut losses".
Old May 19, 2005, 4:38pm   #15

Joined Mar 2005
If you think so, why do you keep on sending messages asking for some kind of [illegal] swap? APS lets you select you target/stop, profitability and consecutive losers. I use a target 3 timesas much as the stop and I still find pattern with a profit factor of 2 to 3 based on Wealth-Lab back-tests. I think you fail to realize this relationship holds:

Profit factor = (average win/average loss) x (win frequency/loss frequency)

So if I have 9 out of 10 trades losing 5 points each and I make 70 points when I win, profit factor = 1.555.

If I have 2 out of 10 trades losing 40 points and I make only 20 points when I win, profit factor = 2.0

Are you missing something Dan?

Alexander
Old May 20, 2005, 9:13am   #16
Joined Apr 2005
Yes I had calculated the profit factor as well. Most of them have 1.5 & above which seems petty good. Since I had not trade these patterns, I seek to argue from a therotical point of view & of course I welcome trader who had use APS for a long time, stay profitable & justifiable that the realtime trades experience do matches or deviate slightly from the historical APS testing.

Another point is you mentioned abt using 2 or 3 times the target profit. In your case, would it affect the pecentage winner & consective loser since the pattern statistics are form base of a fixed stop & profit target?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:36am   #17

4 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Wink Re: Automatic Pattern Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolway
I'm wondering if anybody has come across this site, and what peoples opinions are?

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/Software/APS/aps.htm

Hi,

check out www.tradingbasis.com

They offer much more tools. The website looks better. i have not tested the APS tools but i have purchased the tradingbasis tools and i am happy so far :-)

Jamy
Jamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:17pm   #18

Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamy
Hi,

check out www.tradingbasis.com

They offer much more tools. The website looks better. i have not tested the APS tools but i have purchased the tradingbasis tools and i am happy so far :-)

Jamy
Always beware of programs that offer detection of prepackaged signals. I have purchased APS and it does remarkable things for its price. Automatic code generation for wealth-lab included in APS changed my trading life for ever. I agree their website does not look fancy, but APS is as fancy as a program can get these days.

Check out the automatic code generation:

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/Softw...ep5/step5.html

Alexander
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:47am   #19
Joined Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander
There is an interesting article posted in that site:

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/About.../article1.html

Alexander
here's the best pattern software i have seen:

combining quant, FA and TA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

combining the three methods makes some sense, but what does this effectively in an affordable package? i have found www.yourika.com tymora trader to be excellent in this regard. tell me what you think !

surfer
marketsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:02pm   #20

1 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by equtrader
Alexander, I have been using APS since it first came out in 2002. It is a great program. There is a new version just out and I plan to get the upgrade this weekend. The new version generates code for Metastock, Tradestation, Wealth-Lab and TeleChart. Cool stuff. Go to the website (www.tradingpatterns.com) and download the new demo version. If you have any questions about the program the support is excellent but I could also give you some good hints, just send me a private message. - Joe
Joe please call 713-201-7520 or e.mail back about APS would consider some consultation fee for basic explanation on usage or email direct ecorral@texasds.com thanks
larroc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote