Automatic Pattern Search

This is a discussion on Automatic Pattern Search within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by trader3cnd Anyone with a used copy of APS for sale please email or send PM. Martin I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:28am   #106
Joined Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader3cnd View Post
Anyone with a used copy of APS for sale please email or send PM.

Martin
I was also looking for a used (legal) copy of this program but then someone told me in a forum that buyers of used software risk losing everything because malicious sellers can hide a backdoor in the code and steal all your trading and bank codes.

It's pretty scary isn't it?

Bill
intradaybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:27am   #107

1 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
APS Sale--Expires Monday, April 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by intradaybill View Post
I was also looking for a used (legal) copy of this program but then someone told me in a forum that buyers of used software risk losing everything because malicious sellers can hide a backdoor in the code and steal all your trading and bank codes.

Bill
APS Automatic Pattern Search - License puchase
byzantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:18am   #108

Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by intradaybill View Post

Bill
It's pretty scare these days even with legal software. Look for instance at adobe, java and flash. They are loading a bunch of tasks slowing down the computer, keep constantly checking for updates, etc.

IMO, the best solution is to have a PC only for trading without any personal files and data in it and to change passwords quite often.

Alex
Old May 15, 2008, 8:49pm   #109
Joined Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by byzantium View Post
After doing some market research it appears APS is one of two or maybe three white box pattern discovery programs.

I guess the special offer web page is no longer there but I have decided to buy this software.

Any suggestions about proper use/application of results will be appreciated.

I plan to use it for US stock and FX short term position pattern trading.

Bill
Old May 16, 2008, 1:36am   #110

Joined Dec 2004
Hello All,

With APS my understanding is that the software finds "new" patterns based on ones risk/reward parameters, etc. However, if I understand the software correctly, this can only be achieved on one secuity at a time. Consequently, I'd be interested in knowing how reliable a new pattern is when traded over a PORTFOLIO of stocks?

All comments welcome,

Chorlton

Return of Capital should always be more important than Return on Capital
Chorlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 5:44pm   #111

Joined Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
Hello All,

With APS my understanding is that the software finds "new" patterns based on ones risk/reward parameters, etc. However, if I understand the software correctly, this can only be achieved on one secuity at a time. Consequently, I'd be interested in knowing how reliable a new pattern is when traded over a PORTFOLIO of stocks?

All comments welcome,

Chorlton
Hello Chorlton,

APS patterns are security specific. You can find patterns for a portfolio of securities using a single workspace but you are correct, each pattern in the results is always associated with a specific security.

This is something I thought about since I got APS almost two years ago. There is an answer: find patterns in a security and then backtest on a portfolio. Select only those securities that work with the specific pattern and form a new portfolio. And so on...

I mean there is no justification as to why a pattern should be profitable across the board. Remember that investors often sell one security to buy another or do sector rotation type of strategies. Also pair trading involves long/short position in similar securities.

I think APS has a lot of power and if used smartly the results can be excellent.

Ron
ronblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: intradaybill
Old May 20, 2008, 3:44pm   #112
Joined Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronblack View Post
Hello Chorlton,

APS patterns are security specific. You can find patterns for a portfolio of securities using a single workspace but you are correct, each pattern in the results is always associated with a specific security.

This is something I thought about since I got APS almost two years ago. There is an answer: find patterns in a security and then backtest on a portfolio. Select only those securities that work with the specific pattern and form a new portfolio. And so on...

I mean there is no justification as to why a pattern should be profitable across the board. Remember that investors often sell one security to buy another or do sector rotation type of strategies. Also pair trading involves long/short position in similar securities.

I think APS has a lot of power and if used smartly the results can be excellent.

Ron
Ron, your strategy is smart. It makes sense too!

Bill