my journal

This is a discussion on my journal within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; My dad's about to come back home, and I am about to start talking to him, in the living room, ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:03pm   #729

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread My dad's about to come back home, and I am about to start talking to him, in the living room, and I will then start scratching my head. When I am with him, I always get frustrated and people tell me I look uncomfortable.

Work was great today though. I got a lot done, and my boss said "thanks" repeatedly. I love the way this guy says thanks to me. It's rare for bosses to do that. I feel appreciated. I should have left at 3.30 PM but I left at 5.00.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:21am   #730

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread I am about to go to work. I am drying off in my robe.

I've realized last night that to go from 10k to 20k it's taking me months, whereas I know that it would have taken me much less to go from 40k to 80k. This is because I can't trade all the systems that I have. I mean I could trade them all, but with a dangerous drawdown, because I could go down 5k and then be screwed for good. Whereas if I trade them all with 40k, I could go down to 35k, and not be screwed at all.

I could try my luck and use more systems, but I did before with the CL and I regretted it (it made 2000 and then lost 3000). As I said, a few posts ago, things are getting better even if my capital stays still, because my forward-testing data increases. It's best that if I ask for a loan, I first have an impeccable money management and knowledge of my drawdown for all systems.

Also, I am curious to find out tonight if last week's drawdown was just temporary and this week will be positive as usual. I've been getting about one red week every two months so far. With that kind of equity line, I could even take a loan. It'd be my third loan in a year. Each time I take it out, triple my money, pay the loan back, and then lose most of my money again, so I end up getting another loan. I have to be careful because I could also not be as performing next time and get the loan and lose most of the money. And then I'd be unable to trade for years to come.

Last edited by travis; Nov 20, 2009 at 8:28am.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:20am   #731

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread ...CONTINUING ON DRAWDOWN AND CAPITAL
Back at work. The package is now in Milan, continuing its trip. I should get it today. I'll tell you if that battery I bought for one third what it costs here actually works.

Regarding drawdown and capital. Yeah, it really seems like I am stuck at 10k forever. But it is not just a problem of my discretionary trading, because actually overall it didn't make me lose anything for over a month now. The money doesn't grow because systems are not making it grow. And that happens because ALL of them combined do make a lot of money, but if I only use the safest ones and the ones I can afford in terms of drawdown and max loss, then I may not be selecting the most profitable ones, and ultimately my capital is just not growing. Besides, selecting the ones that have worked so far and excluding those that have not worked may very well be a bad idea, because then those that have worked may stop working and those that haven't worked may start working. I should use them all together just like my forward testing does. And its equity line is increasing whereas mine isn't. I've implemented even a rule that doesn't allow systems to trade unless they've made a lot of money. I thought that all these rules would maximize my profit and limit my drawdown, but it's not happening. I have been stuck at 10k for months. To the point where I'm very tempted to do one of my discretionary stints on the CL and make 3000 dollars in one trade, which usually ends up with -3000 dollars on one trade.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:54pm   #732

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread FedEx rules ! ! ! A package from New York to Rome on the next day

Now, if we set the awesome, efficient, and interactive, "Shipment Travel History" to Athens time (GMT + 2), we can clearly see that my package with the battery is getting to me in less than 2 days from when... "Shipment information sent to FedEx". FedEx rules. What a great thing progress is... and what's even more amazing is that it's costing just as much as it's costing me to get a package sent to me from Milan via TNT and it's taking the same exact time. So from now on I will regard sellers in New York in the same way I regard sellers in Milan.

snap.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_W._Smith

Now, buying a battery in New York, for one third the price I'd pay it in Europe, is very much like finding out who the best broker is (just like I did recently) and opening an account with them. It's very related to trading. And this part of optimizing things suits me quite well. For some reason I am not as good at optimizing my discretionary trading.

Last edited by travis; Nov 20, 2009 at 3:05pm.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:06pm   #733

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread Ok, got home, found the battery, paid 30 euros of customs taxes: 45 dollars. Still extremely convenient: with shipping costs of 30 dollars, it totals 75 dollars - funny because the battery itself only cost me only 90 dollars. I hooked it to my laptop and now it's charging. If it'll work properly, it'll be the best online deal I ever made. Paid a total of 165 dollars, instead of over 300, had I bought it anywhere in Europe.

Last edited by travis; Nov 20, 2009 at 5:17pm.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:33pm   #734

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread Ok, this is it! The battery officially works perfectly and it says I have 12 hours to go. Not bad. For just 165 dollars now I can sit on my couch and watch tv for as long as I want. And the power outages can last as long as they want to last.

I have to say a nice word about this store again, for not ripping me off and giving me an awesome deal I never would have bought my battery without you guys. Thank you thank you thank you.

http://www.getpartsonline.com/
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:36pm   #735

Joined Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Ok, this is it! The battery officially works perfectly and it says I have 12 hours to go. Not bad. For just 165 dollars now I can sit on my couch and watch tv for as long as I want. And the power outages can last as long as they want to last.

I have to say a nice word about this store again, for not ripping me off and giving me an awesome deal I never would have bought my battery without you guys. Thank you thank you thank you.

http://www.getpartsonline.com/
Why don't you buy the batteries and sell them on ebay for profit ?

GET YOUR TOWELS READY, ITS ABOUT TO GO DOWN.
Closed Thread