RIP Mechanical Trading Systems?

It's not for me to advise people what to do with their money. Maybe Howard goes on to make stellar returns for the next 3 years before doing a Niederhoffer/LTCM.

Moneymagic, didn't you say your dad is a systematic trader.. can't he explain all these things to you??

There is some kind of bias amongst traders that makes them believe trading with a larger pot and aiming for the same % return is somehow easier.

i think it would depend on your stragy and trade horizon... if you are scalping for ticks then you can influence the market to a certain extent, but eventually you exhaust the liquidy at the price you want.

So generally the more money you have means less percentage returns. look at pension funds.

i think it would depend on your stragy and trade horizon... if you are scalping for ticks then you can influence the market to a certain extent, but eventually you exhaust the liquidy at the price you want.

So generally the more money you have means less percentage returns. look at pension funds.

That some strategies do not scale well is not a surprise to most of us.

Moneymagic, didn't you say your dad is a systematic trader.. can't he explain all these things to you??

Yes he is. He will not explain this to me yet, I am not at that level yet. He has showed me how to read some charts at a basic level and has left me to gain some experience for a few months before he knows what needs fixing.

His belief is that trading is best learned by experiencing it. He says he can shorten my learning curve but does not want to deprive me of the knowing what trading is all about and the journey.

I am expecting a rough ride and to lose some money.

Yes he is. He will not explain this to me yet, I am not at that level yet. He has showed me how to read some charts at a basic level and has left me to gain some experience for a few months before he knows what needs fixing.

His belief is that trading is best learned by experiencing it. He says he can shorten my learning curve but does not want to deprive me of the knowing what trading is all about and the journey.

I am expecting a rough ride and to lose some money.

You should take his advice then. Stay off these forums, they will only pollute what your father will teach.

Be patient.

You should take his advice then. Stay off these forums, they will only pollute what your father will teach.

Be patient.

Quite the opposite. He wants me to explore all avenues and ideas until i start to develop some understanding. As he says its easier to go off the rails to explore something out of curiosity, and it is easier to really understand when you actually start looking.

I haven't started looking yet because I am not entirely sure what I should be looking for. He says i will only do that when I hit a dead end.

Quite the opposite. He wants me to explore all avenues and ideas until i start to develop some understanding. As he says its easier to go off the rails to explore something out of curiosity, and it is easier to really understand when you actually start looking.

I haven't started looking yet because I am not entirely sure what I should be looking for. He says i will only do that when I hit a dead end.

learn from his mistakes but make your own, thats what it is to be learning.

:)