my journal

This is a discussion on my journal within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Now i am only making 35 dollars, after being up 220 dollars on this trade....

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:05pm   #1531
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Re: my journal

Yamato started this thread Now i am only making 35 dollars, after being up 220 dollars on this trade.
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:12pm   #1532
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Re: my journal

Yamato started this thread All right, Chief... you're our last chance. What do you say? Just raise your hand up. That's all we need from you today, Chief. Just raise your hand up one time. Show her that you can do it. Show her that you can still do it.
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:20pm   #1533
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
I got disciplined, and now I'm tired of documenting all my trades live

Yamato started this thread Ok, guys, no matter what happens, I've realized that this is going to be my last documented trade live because

1) I've learned to be disciplined - and if I haven't, I'll come back to trade live
2) It's hampering my progress to trade live and having to document every single step and thought in front of everyone.

It's not because I want to hide anything: if it were this, I would say so without any shame that I want to keep my good system to myself.

Maybe I'll start posting my trades live again. If I'll need to, I will.

For now I think that I won't, so this will be my last trade (if everything goes as I think it will, and I have learned to be disciplined) thoroughly documented on the journal.

I will answer questions if anyone has any on how my progress is going with this system or other things.

After this, I'll post the usual picture, and all the rules of my system and so on. Just for the sake of doing things properly.

Mostly, I am tired of having to take pictures and having to post all the rules and evolution of a trade.

The purpose was not to hold a course, but rather to attend my own discipline course. I think I graduated. If I'll realize that I am in trouble and start gambling again, I will start stuff, on an hourly basis as i've been doing so far.

What's the worst that could happen tomorrow is that I will - on my own and without telling anyone - reinstate early exits, and move on from there.

Yes, there's a risk that my self-discipline will decrease simply for the fact of not having to justify anything to anyone, something I've been doing so far because I can't lie, so if I write here, I write it all.

But I am tired of taking pictures, and I think that today I missed that early exit merely because I wanted to show everyone I was so good and disciplined and following all my rules: but I feel like an idiot now, as my day might end with a +0, instead of +500.

I thank everyone for following and for encouraging my discipline, and I will answer questions about the system and about how I'm doing with it, in the future, and on whatever rules I've changed.

And if it'll be so good that I don't want to share all of it, I'll specify it, and won't feel ashamed for wanting to hide my system, because I think it's reasonable. But right I've been showing everything. And in the future you can count on me on not hiding rules and tricks without clearly stating it.

Last edited by Yamato; Dec 15, 2009 at 5:33pm.
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:31pm   #1534
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Re: my journal

Yamato started this thread I think it's happening. Profit has been back at 200 a few minutes ago. I think my takeprofit will be triggered, eventually. For today I am totally tired, as I said, also from documenting the whole thing. I will stop trading for the day after this.

And if I'll gamble again, I'll be sure to come here and write it down, to shame myself in public. Of course I'll still be as talkative as usual as far the rest. Only I won't talk as much as the pro-trend live trades, because I am tired of all this work I am doing for each trade. The purpose was to get disciplined. I think I've achieved. I am sorry if I'm letting any of the readers down, but I will answer any of their questions right here on the journal or, if they prefer, in private. I feel gratitude for all the readers for the encouragement and even for just reading and caring.
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:40pm   #1535
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Probably the last fully documented trade

Yamato started this thread So, as I said, sorry guys, but I realized that I got tired of typing all this stuff, and taking all these pictures. I will do it right, but I will end it here.

I mean: the purpose as I've always said was to make money with discretionary trading - through discipline and through a good method (I was lacking both until now) - and now that I see I'm making money by having learned discipline and having developed a good method, I don't see why I should keep on writing all this stuff.

What I will do however is tell you one more time about the method. And I am not even sure that it will work in the future, but unless I come here to tell you I've relapsed into compulsive gambling, it will mean that I'm still following this method.

I will not come to show off every time I win and stay away when I lose: I will either document both wins and losses, or I won't talk about neither. Just like I've done until here.

Oh, and if I do reinstate the "early exit" rule, I'll make sure to come and tell you. But, since today it worked without it (quite an irrational reason, I know), I won't put the "early exit" back.

LAST FULLY DOCUMENTED TRADE AND SUMMARY OF SYSTEM
So here's my last fully documented trade and, later, the state of the system right now.

snap1.jpg

PRO-TREND DISCRETIONARY SYSTEM

HOTKEYS
"B" for "buy 1 at market" with 20 ticks bracket order
"S" for "sell 1 at market" with 20 ticks bracket order
----------------------
CHARTS
SET UP THESE CHARTS ON IB'S TWS:
15 MINUTES OF ES, CL, GBP, ZN "line" mode
2 DAYS OF EUR.USD@IDEALPRO 15-minutes CANDLES WITH PIVOTS
4 HOURS OF EUR.USD@IDEALPRO 1-MINUTE CANDLES WITH 15-periods and 210-periods moving averages
----------------------
RULES
ENTRIES must be made if:
1) time is 15.00 to 20.00 CET
2) your entry and your take profit are > 10 ticks away from any pivot lines
3) you're checking "correlated" chart for exact timing of entry
4) the 225-period ma is in favor by > 10 ticks
5) the 15-period ma gets crossed by price (in favor) after being on the other side >= 4 minutes
EXITS
Bracket order of 20 ticks.
----------------------
TRADES:
Here's my trades as of today and the time (CET) they took place:
20091130 17.20sh to 17.30sh: takeprofit
20091130 21.50sh to 01.00sh: takeprofit
20091201 17.50sh to 18.50sh: early exit +1
20091202 18.40sh to 00.15sh: stoploss
20091203 08.10sh to 08.30sh: takeprofit
20091204 10.40sh to 13.00sh: early exit -5
20091207 16.10sh to 16.30sh: takeprofit
20091208 17.30sh to 19.00sh: takeprofit
20091209 18.40sh to 19.00sh: takeprofit
20091210 19.00sh to 20.20sh: stoploss
20091215 17.20sh to 17.30sh: takeprofit: BEST TRADE EVER (SHORTEST ONE: exactly 10 minutes)
20091215 17.40sh to 18.30sh: takeprofit
----------------------
BRACKET ORDER:
Pictures of my weapon and some shots I made.
Some shots I missed.


-----------------------

Remember: if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

MY COMPULSIVE GAMBLING CURED THANKS TO THIS JOURNAL AND ITS READERS
I think I owe a lot to this forum and to these journals and to these readers so I wouldn't mind giving some help, especially because by explaining things I clarify them in my mind.

I knew I had almost gotten it all together. The ingredients for the profitability recipe were almost all there, after 12 years of trading.

This journal and the readers gave me that extra ingredient that was missing: having discipline but first of all having a method. Because, as I said, if you don't have a method you believe in, it doesn't even make sense to follow its rules. So first you have to believe in a method because backtests say it works and forward tests say that it works. That's more or less it. If I'll have problems with compulsive gambling again, I'll definitely come here and start writing about it again.

I am not leaving the journal or the forum. But hopefully the fight against my compulsive gambling is over - not because I lost it, and because I am tired of documenting my live trades here, but because I think that, having a method I can believe in, has given me the discipline to follow it. But all this happened thanks to reasoning out loud here and with the readers. So, thanks, all. And, as I said I am not leaving. Probably, because of having cured my gambling, I will only write 20 posts per day instead of my usual 50.

Last edited by Yamato; Dec 15, 2009 at 5:57pm.
Yamato is offline  
Thanks! The following members like this post: Taishara
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:59pm   #1536
Joined Apr 2008
Re: my journal

Hey Travis,

Hope you're doing ok. Found this interesting video today, thought I'd share it. http://donmillerjournal.blogspot.com...-outliers.html

Cheers

W
__________________
The truly heroic traders are not the ones that take outsized bets with their capital, but ones that assiduously remove risk from the process and live to trade and win day after day after day.
wprins is offline  
Thanks! The following members like this post: Yamato
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:59pm   #1537
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Re: my journal

Yamato started this thread Balance is back above 6k. Finally. And ZN system today is actually making money. Quite good.

Funny how I can be happy with 6k now when I was unhappy with 10k a month ago. That's because I'm like a patient recovering from an illness. Yes, I am weaker, but I defeated my illness (I think and I hope, but I can't be positive of course).
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:00pm   #1538
Joined Apr 2008
Re: Probably the last fully documented trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I think I owe a lot to this forum and to these journals and to these readers so I wouldn't mind giving some help, especially because by explaining things I clarify them in my mind.
This mirrors my experience also, and is why teaching is sometimes beneficial both for teacher and student, as paradoxical as that sounds. Anyway, well done.
__________________
The truly heroic traders are not the ones that take outsized bets with their capital, but ones that assiduously remove risk from the process and live to trade and win day after day after day.
wprins is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:01pm   #1539
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Re: my journal

Yamato started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprins View Post
Hey Travis,

Hope you're doing ok. Found this interesting video today, thought I'd share it. http://donmillerjournal.blogspot.com...-outliers.html

Cheers

W
Thanks, I will read it and comment on it after my bath.
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:08pm   #1540
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Re: Probably the last fully documented trade

Yamato started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprins View Post
This mirrors my experience also, and is why teaching is sometimes beneficial both for teacher and student, as paradoxical as that sounds. Anyway, well done.
Thanks. You see, I've reached healing and at the same time fatigue, almost simultaneously. All of a sudden, half way through my 12th trade, I realized "holy cow how tired I am" and "why am I doing this?". But maybe I realized the fatigue because i realized i had reached the objective. Just like you stay outside all day long and don't feel like peeing. Then all of a sudden you get home and you feel like you can't hold it anymore. But then you say to yourself "how the hell did i manage to hold it for all these hours, without even realizing I had to pee?". And the answer is that once you're home you stop holding it, unconsciously, without even realizing that. Probably, in the same way, this stuff was tiring me, but since i had to do it, I put my mind to it, without minding how tiring it was.
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:12pm   #1541
Joined Apr 2008
Re: my journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Thanks, I will read it and comment on it after my bath.
It's maybe a bit blah-blah-ey in retrospect... but anyway.
__________________
The truly heroic traders are not the ones that take outsized bets with their capital, but ones that assiduously remove risk from the process and live to trade and win day after day after day.
wprins is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:00pm   #1542
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Bath tub intuition: 0.0100s as pivot lines beyond S2 and R2

Yamato started this thread Change to the system. Considering the fact that today it bounced on 1.4500 and that it will do it again in the future, and that this level is more important the more overbought and oversold we are and the less it's been touched today and yesterday (ideally never), I am creating this new rule:

Beyond s2 or r2 (like today) 0.0100s work exactly as pivot lines. By 0.0100s I mean 1.4500, 1.4600 and similar.

Accordingly, here's the new system:

HOTKEYS
"B" for "buy 1 at market" with 20 ticks bracket order
"S" for "sell 1 at market" with 20 ticks bracket order
----------------------
CHARTS
SET UP THESE CHARTS ON IB'S TWS:
15 MINUTES OF ES, CL, GBP, ZN "line" mode
2 DAYS OF EUR.USD@IDEALPRO 15-minutes CANDLES WITH PIVOTS
4 HOURS OF EUR.USD@IDEALPRO 1-MINUTE CANDLES WITH 15-periods and 210-periods moving averages
----------------------
RULES
ENTRIES must be made if:
1) time is 15.00 to 20.00 CET
2) your entry and your take profit are > 10 ticks away from any pivot lines or any 0.0100s levels if beyond S2 or R2
3) you're checking "correlated" chart for exact timing of entry
4) the 225-period ma is in favor by > 10 ticks
5) the 15-period ma gets crossed by price (in favor) after being on the other side >= 4 minutes
EXITS
Bracket order of 20 ticks.

Last edited by Yamato; Dec 15, 2009 at 8:09pm.
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:25pm   #1543
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Re: my journal

Yamato started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprins View Post
It's maybe a bit blah-blah-ey in retrospect... but anyway.
I've watched a part of the video and read his post, but with my short attention span, I failed him because he failed to appeal to me within the first 1 minute of attention I paid to him.

Thanks for the link, though, and please keep posting, at least for the others, who have a longer attention span. I do judge a book by its cover, or by its table of contents at the most.
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:14pm   #1544
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
More work on Market Depth

Yamato started this thread Ok, here's what I am doing on market depth.

Very simple... so to speak, because it took me years to get all this stuff together. Hey, who put this thing together? Me, that's who. Who do I trust? Me.

So, here's the code under the excel sheet:

Code:
Private Sub worksheet_calculate()
    On Error Resume Next

If Cells(26, 12) > Cells(25, 15) Then
Cells(25, 15) = Cells(26, 12)
Cells(25, 16) = Now
End If

If Cells(26, 12) < Cells(27, 15) Then
Cells(27, 15) = Cells(26, 12)
Cells(27, 16) = Now
End If
End Sub
And here's what it does:

bbbb.jpg

1) You create a simple function that subtracts, from the CUM SIZE of all ten BID levels, the CUM SIZE of all ten ASK levels.

2) You then use the macro to print on the same excel sheet the highest positive value and its time, on top (green cells). And the lowest negative value and its time, on bottom (red cells).

My hypothesis is that once I gather data for a few hours, those record values should correspond to rises for the highest positive value (a lot more bids than asks), and viceversa.

It's simple, it's not heavy on your cpu, and it verifies my hypothesis. And, most of all: I can't do any better. If it doesn't work, then I'll ditch it. I've been thinking about this for years, on and off... and didn't get it to work yet. What... I don't even remember in what bath tub session i resurrected this idea. Or if it was a shower I was taking... if I could quit my job and live by the sea, I could swim all the time and get so many more ideas. But I need someone on a kayak to follow me and take notes.

Then you go to the chart, like here:

ffff.jpg

And you check if say 12/15/2009 15:04:09 corresponds to a rise and if 12/15/2009 15:13:04 corresponds to a fall. Let's see... [...working... checking... thinking...] ... it does, but guess what: it's not what I want to know. I wanted to be warned before a rise and a fall.

So maybe futures work differently than their underlying securities. Or maybe I can figure it out and make it work. The fact is that right now, after my first try, record positive/negative differences (after one try that lasted 30 minutes) took place at the end of the risk/fall.

Need more work. I will come here as you go to "study hall", to think out loud, to work harder... working here makes me focus better, especially when I am lost.

--------------

Also refer to previous posts for other ideas relating to this. After all, I am not writing a book or a manual.


--------------

Anyway... I was checking on the market depth concept and how it resurfaced in my mind, and it didn't happen during a bath tub session, but during sleeping. One day, between saturday night and sunday morning, while sleeping I thought about it, and then I woke up and the idea was all there: I had to make sure that market depth didn't work, for the 100th time in almost 5 years:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...ml#post1004778

Last edited by Yamato; Dec 15, 2009 at 9:58pm.
Yamato is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:51pm   #1545
 
Yamato's Avatar
Joined Mar 2003
Re: my journal

Yamato started this thread I was wondering just now how I can write such clear and logical posts. The ingredients are essentially two: i type fast so I can keep up with my thoughts, and I think slow so I can keep up with my typing. I either type slow or I am good at slowing down my thinking. Maybe some more ingredients that I am missing.

Sometimes I am about to think about something and I say to myself: let's postpone this thinking until I start typing my post. Actually that's what I always do when I type a post in here. I can't do the thinking first, because the thinking has to be thought for the first time in order for it to be logical. Otherwise I will just list the conclusions that I reached on my own, skipping the train of thought that I followed to reach them.

So: I postpone my thinking until I start typing, I slow it down as much as necessary as I type, and at the same time I type fast, without looking at the keyboard.

What does interfere quite a bit with my speed and therefore with my clarity and spontaneity is my constant looking up words and verbs on the dictionary. But the fact that English is a foreign language also keeps my language uniformly simple, because I know I can't afford to use complicated terms or it would be uneven, because I'd miss the refined terms everywhere else in my writing. So I simplify everything and keep it simple even when I could know one or two words to sound more cultured.

I rarely go back and edit. Sometimes I edit 100 times my posts, but that's usually when I am replying to someone and I don't want to be too aggressive. The first post is usual "you sonofabitch" and the last version is more like "thanks for your feedback".
Yamato is offline  
Thanks! The following members like this post: Taishara
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Journal... trader_dante Trading Journals 25 Sep 19, 2010 9:43am
My little journal. HaloTrader Trading Journals 16 Jun 26, 2009 12:02am
The EA Journal! Victor90 Trading Journals 1 Oct 27, 2008 11:47pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)