Skill's weekend teaser

This is a discussion on Skill's weekend teaser within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Martinghoul May I boldly request the next one (getting bored with this one)? When will it be ...

View Poll Results: What will happen?
The plane will take off normally 25 40.32%
The plane will remain stationary 32 51.61%
The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:24pm   #301

Joined Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinghoul View Post
May I boldly request the next one (getting bored with this one)? When will it be posted?
A thread is started by Skill Leverage on T2W at midnight Feb 28th 2009.

Given the outside temperature is 12-deg-C, at standard pressure, how many posts does it take before Skill gets a massive brain aneurysm?

Secondly, calculate the distance the blood spurts from his twitching, lifeless body.
# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: GammaJammer
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:26pm   #302

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread Charts, look at the first pages of this thread; I gave perfectly nice, helpful answers. Brambles gave me a slightly prickly and provoking response, and things escalated. I'm sorry that 38 PAGES LATER I haven't been able to maintain my composure...
Skill Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:30pm   #303

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread Imagine you were sitting in a room with me, and there was a red chair in the middle of it. You say to me 'that chair is red', and I say 'no it's not, it's blue'; there's nothing you can say that will convince me that is isn't blue, yet you are forced to remain there and tell me for 10 hours that it's red... wouldn't you get annoyed? I should have left when I said I was going to but I was essentially told that would be admitting defeat, which is something I wasn't prepared to do.

I am sorry for calling you a **** though.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:33pm   #304

Joined Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill Leverage View Post
Imagine you were sitting in a room with me, and there was a red chair in the middle of it. You say to me 'that chair is red', and I say 'no it's not, it's blue'; there's nothing you can say that will convince me that is isn't blue, yet you are forced to remain there and tell me for 10 hours that it's red... wouldn't you get annoyed? I should have left when I said I was going to but I was essentially told that would be admitting defeat, which is something I wasn't prepared to do.

I am sorry for calling you a **** though.
Apology accepted.
Let's move on.
Richard

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:35pm   #305

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread At this point I am reminded of Mac in Green Wing:

'Join me again next week on 'Let's make no f***ing sense, when I will be waxing an owl'
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:37pm   #306

Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Imagine you were sitting in a room with me, and there was a red chair in the middle of it. You say to me 'that chair is red', and I say 'no it's not, it's blue'; there's nothing you can say that will convince me that is isn't blue, yet you are forced to remain there and tell me for 10 hours that it's red...
On a more hilarious note, I knew a guy who got to sixth form who didn't know the primary colours...because his parents had taught him them round the wrong way...for a laugh.

I think this is amazing, and more people should screw with their kids (bad choice of words much?!?)
Hotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: zupcon
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:38pm   #307

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread **** fully withdrawn; I fully blame my own OCD for this whole incident. I did say last week I was banned from MuscleTalk for this exact thread! Thank you all for not resorting to 'I'm coming round to your house to cave your head in', as someone did there when I tried to explain friction to him.

Yours,

Upstart

EDIT: I said to GJ that the whole point of these is to provoke thought, which I hope it has done for a lot of you. A few people have said they enjoyed these, so perhaps I will do another with the proviso that I word the question very clearly, and do not sit at the computer for 4 hours straight so that I become tetchy.

SL
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:42pm   #308
Joined Mar 2007
Quote:
**** fully withdrawn; I fully blame my own OCD for this whole incident. I did say last week I was banned from MuscleTalk for this exact thread! Thank you all for not resorting to 'I'm coming round to your house to cave your head in', as someone did there when I tried to explain friction to him.

Yours,

Upstart

EDIT: I said to GJ that the whole point of these is to provoke thought, which I hope it has done for a lot of you. A few people have said they enjoyed these, so perhaps I will do another with the proviso that I word the question very clearly, and do not sit at the computer for 4 hours straight so that I become tetchy.

SL
I'm coming round to your house to cave your head in
brutusdog is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:43pm   #309

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusdog View Post
I'm coming round to your house to cave your head in
funny, not what you said you were going round his house to do to him in chatzy
wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:46pm   #310

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread Not since I was banned GJ, I haven't had access to all the latest supplements or 'killer ab' workouts... I still buy Men's Health, but only for the pictures.
Thanks! The following members like this post: wasp
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:10pm   #311
Joined Nov 2007
Once and for all

The key to understanding this problem is that the wheels can remain stationary in their own reference frame, but be moving in a whole other reference frame.

What is also key is understanding that the rate of the rotation of the wheels does not affect their displacement in a fixed reference frame.

Unfortunatley, the language with which the problem is being answered in is not the language which can explain the answer. mathematics holds the answer, and it cannot be explained through the words with which I write to you now.

However, for those that are struggling to get to grips with it, I suggest you consider other, well known and similar problems. Like Zeno's paradox (either the Athlete and the tortoise in a race, or moving towards a wall by stepping half the distance each time).

Or, you might like to try considering the sum of Geometric series where the r < 1.0 (i.e. adding 1 to 1/2 to 1/4 to 1/8 to 1/16 and so on...) What is the maximum this series can add up to? Infinity? No, it adds up to 2.

Lastly, you can try Lorentz transformations in the beginnings of Relativity.

All these problems share parallels with this. Counter-intuitive results, and that is why some people struggle to accept them, as they are contrary to everything they have experienced in their existence. However, given the correct tools and intelligent implementation, the answer can be proven a priori. Through mathematics.
MrGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Skill Leverage
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:12pm   #312

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread My New Year's Resolution is to be more like Gecko
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:16pm   #313

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
My New Year's Resolution is to be more like Gecko
He is gay and only bathes once a week.

CLICK - My Trading Journal
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:17pm   #314

Joined Sep 2001
Quote:
My New Year's Resolution is to be more like Gecko
Right...have you seen his avatar...........still want to be more like him?

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:17pm   #315

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
He is gay and only bathes once a week.
In that case I'm already halfway there...all I have to do now is bathe more often.