Skill's weekend teaser

This is a discussion on Skill's weekend teaser within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Lightning McQueen ok, so how does a seaplane take off without it's driving wheels, does it have ...

View Poll Results: What will happen?
The plane will take off normally 25 40.32%
The plane will remain stationary 32 51.61%
The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:46pm   #145

Joined Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueen View Post
ok, so how does a seaplane take off without it's driving wheels, does it have little paddles driven by the engines or something??
pmsl this is definitely gonna send skill over the edge maybe Bramble can answer ?? Could be here til fx markets open ............
Claudia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:47pm   #146
Joined Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGecko View Post
What is it about this that you don't understand?
I don't understand how I can ask (multiple times) if my reasoning that the relative ground speed is 0 mph can go so magnificently unanswered.

If my rationale is wrong in that department then my reasoning which follows from that on airspeed also potentially falters and I'll be prepared, subject to a sensible refutation of that rationale, to review my thinking.
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:47pm   #147

Joined Apr 2007
For the disbeliever(s):

If it was somehow possible to make the wheels spin backwards while the plane was flying, would it fall out of the sky?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:47pm   #148

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueen View Post
ok, so how does a seaplane take off without it's driving wheels, does it have little paddles driven by the engines or something??
Dolphins.

CLICK - My Trading Journal
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: MrGecko , zupcon
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:49pm   #149

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread Small brakes would not stop it from taking off. Dirty great big ones, ones like you described, would. But that is a completely different kettle of fish! A conveyor belt moving opposite to motion is not a 'brake' of any kind, because it does not impart direct force on the plane, it's frictional force is translated into rotational movement of the plane's wheels, ABOUT THEIR AXES - NET MOTION DUE TO THIS IN EITHER DIRECTION ZERO!!!!!

YOu cannot understand this, because you lack the brainpower. end of story.

You nailed the lid on your own coffin in that post above, I owned you, and now you want to talk about brakes, which is like saying 'ooh but what if the engines on the plane were busted, HA then it couldn't take off could it?'

Idiot.
Skill Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:49pm   #150

Joined Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBramble View Post
I don't understand how I can ask (multiple times) if my reasoning that the relative ground speed is 0 mph can go so magnificently unanswered.

If my rationale is wrong in that department then my reasoning which follows from that on airspeed also potentially falters and I'll be prepared, subject to a sensible refutation of that rationale, to review my thinking.
The point is that if the wheels can spin freely while the relative ground speed is 0, they can also spin freely (though slightly faster) while the plane is moving relative to ground.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:49pm   #151
Joined Apr 2008
Airplane on a Treadmill Definitive Analysis

fo sho
KillPhil08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:50pm   #152

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBramble View Post

And we have answered (multiple times) and it's not going into your thick ruddy head:

GROUNDSPEED DOES NOT MAKE A PLANE FLY.
Skill Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote