Skill's weekend teaser

This is a discussion on Skill's weekend teaser within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; if the conveyor has a speed of 180mph, and the engines are off, the planes speed is...wait for it... zero. ...

View Poll Results: What will happen?
The plane will take off normally 25 40.32%
The plane will remain stationary 32 51.61%
The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:24pm   #81

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread if the conveyor has a speed of 180mph, and the engines are off, the planes speed is...wait for it... zero.

if the plane's engines are on, its speed is exactly the same as it would be on tarmac.

Look Bramble, I've said it twice already; a plane's wheels are merely there to stop the paint being scratched when it takes off. Stop focussing on the wheels, and what speed they match, it's irrelevant!
Skill Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:25pm   #82

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia123 View Post
Don't ya wish you never started this thread and gone to pub instead. Very funny to read though - thanks. I too dumb to work it out so I leave you guys to argue!!
I was starting to, but I think I'm almost there with him... definitely the last of the weekend teasers though!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:29pm   #83
Joined Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBramble View Post
But Skill tells us the plane isn't moving forward as the exactly matching (but opposite) movement of the conveyor effectively cancels out any forward movement of the plane.
The conveyor belt cancels out any of the thrust forward the plane generates through the turning the wheels and the friction between the surfaces - none. The thrust forward is generated by the engines pulling the plane through the air; each kN of thrust will pull the plane one "air unit" in displacement forward, and the plane will accelerate forward until there are enough "air units" going over the wings to generate the lift necessary to take off.
MrGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:34pm   #84

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread Exactimondo. The plane is not generating any forward motion through the wheels, or anything connected to the ground; therefore, under frictionless conditions, the conveyor belt cannot affect its forward motion in any way.

Incidentally in reality the friction forces are negligible; the plane must overcome these before it can begin forward motion, but this is the same on tarmac. Since the belt is stationary when the plane is stationary, the plane will take off exactly as it would from the ground.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:36pm   #85
Joined Nov 2007
An interesting spin-off from the result is that you'd need a conveyor belt the same length (i.e. roller to roller) as a runway to get it to work. Right?
MrGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:38pm   #86

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread Yes, exactly! Well, not the length of a runway, but the length of the runway that's required for a plane to take off; I'm pretty sure the guys at Heathrow leave some slack either side just in case.
Thanks! The following members like this post: MrGecko
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:39pm   #87
Joined Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill Leverage View Post
if the conveyor has a speed of 180mph, and the engines are off, the planes speed is...wait for it... zero.

if the plane's engines are on, its speed is exactly the same as it would be on tarmac.

Look Bramble, I've said it twice already; a plane's wheels are merely there to stop the paint being scratched when it takes off. Stop focussing on the wheels, and what speed they match, it's irrelevant!
Answer the questions as posed and you might find a glimmer of realisation.

If the conveyor is moving backwards (relative to direction plane is facing) at 180mph and that exactly equals the speed of the wheels on the plane, the plane has a realtive groundspeed (relative to ground under conveyor) of 0mph and an airspeed of 0mph.

If you were standing to the side of that conveyor in line with the plane - it would not be moving relative to your position. By your logic, that shouldn't matter and you'd both take off together I presume?
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:39pm   #88

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread Haha sorry G-man, I knew exactly what you meant