Skill's weekend teaser

This is a discussion on Skill's weekend teaser within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Just Pull The Trigger! I mean The Plane takes off normally... An aircraft only cares about air speed, not ground ...

View Poll Results: What will happen?
The plane will take off normally 25 40.32%
The plane will remain stationary 32 51.61%
The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:12pm   #71

Joined Jan 2006
Just Pull The Trigger!

I mean

The Plane takes off normally...

An aircraft only cares about air speed, not ground speed.

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Skill Leverage
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:13pm   #72

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread The question is worded pretty much straight out of a book. People like Bramble fail to realise that this isn't something I've just cooked up, it's been postulated the world over; as I mentioned some of the top minds in the world have proved this conclusion, and there's a bleeding video of it happening on YouTube (although video evidence isn't enough for him apparently).
Skill Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:14pm   #73
Joined Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBramble View Post

However, on your conveyor, the plane has (by your definition) NO FORWARD MOTION. It therefore has insufficient airflow to generate the necessary lift.
When the plane starts its engines, it moves the plane forward through the air. The speed of the plane relative to the conveyor belt is irrelevant, it is the speed of the plane with respect to the air that, through the wings, generates lift.
MrGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Skill Leverage
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:14pm   #74

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
Just Pull The Trigger!

I mean

The Plane takes off normally...

An aircraft only cares about air speed, not ground speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGecko View Post
When the plane starts its engines, it moves the plane forward through the air. The speed of the plane relative to the conveyor belt is irrelevant, it is the speed of the plane with respect to the air that, through the wings, generates lift.
Yay, I might not get banned after all! Bloody Muscletalkers, couldn't get a single one of them to understand
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:17pm   #75

Joined Nov 2008
Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick but, in order for a plane (or any aerofoil for that matter) to fly, air must flow across the aerofoil - in this the case the wings of the plane. This airflow hits the leading edge of the wing and is divided into faster air, which runs over the top of the wing and slower (more turbulent) air, which runs under the wing. The difference in speed between these 2 airflows is what creates lift and, in turn, this lift allows the plane to fly. If I have understood the question correctly, the conveyor belt is being used to reproduce forward motion which equates to airflow passing over the wings, which equals lift. The simplest example of this can be found by flying a kite. On a low wind day when there is insufficient wind to produce enough lift one would run into the wind to create enough wind (apparent wind) to generate lift to enable the kite to fly.
Hope I'm somewhere near where you're coming from Skill??
Beachtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:18pm   #76
Joined Jul 2003
Quote:
When the plane starts its engines, it moves the plane forward through the air.
But Skill tells us the plane isn't moving forward as the exactly matching (but opposite) movement of the conveyor effectively cancels out any forward movement of the plane.

Quote:
The speed of the plane relative to the conveyor belt is irrelevant, it is the speed of the plane with respect to the air that, through the wings, generates lift.
The speed of the plane relative to the coveyor is irrelevant, yes. And yes it is relevant with respect to air speed. But if the plane isn't moving through the air...there is no airspeed.
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:19pm   #77

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread I said THE WHEELS exactly match the speed of the belt. Not the plane. That's what you don't understand.