Performance Level Of An Exceptional Trader

This is a discussion on Performance Level Of An Exceptional Trader within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Doomberg Ok i think this will make an interesting topic as views will vary quite a bit.... ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:54pm   #65
Joined Apr 2010
Re: Performance Level Of An Exceptional Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomberg View Post
Ok i think this will make an interesting topic as views will vary quite a bit.... The question i'd like to ask you all is this:

In your opinion what performance percentage level would a trader have to achieve each month to be called an exceptional trader?

Would it be a minimum of 5%? 10%? 20%? 50%+?... What do you think would be the benchmark pcm % to be classed as 'exceptional'

First ov all, wot type ov trader are u on abowt? The nonce in an office wiv a degree, wrapped up in very expensif cotton wool. Or, the spread betting freak gambler!!?
kimo'sabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:13pm   #66

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread Well they vary so why don't you describe what you think is an exceptional trader

And what you would expect their performance levels to be
Doomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:42pm   #67

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread In the OP it said, over a month what would you say is exceptional... eg a %
Old Jul 10, 2011, 1:09am   #68
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
Far more satisfying to take less pips for more wonga a lesson that's taken me a couple of extra years to discover
The very method to my madness.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:38am   #69

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypete2 View Post
The very method to my madness.

Peter
Pete, do you mind if i ask what % a 10 point win would account for in normal circumstances?

So say if you gained 10 points would it be 0.25% or 1% etc... thanks
Old Jul 10, 2011, 1:32pm   #70
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Pete, do you mind if i ask what % a 10 point win would account for in normal circumstances?

So say if you gained 10 points would it be 0.25% or 1% etc... thanks
Points or pips don't mean anything by themselves. It depends on how much per point or pip you are trading.

Peter
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:48pm   #71

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypete2 View Post
Points or pips don't mean anything by themselves. It depends on how much per point or pip you are trading.

Peter
Yes i understand this Pete, but i presume you trade the same size with each trade?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 5:15pm   #72
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Yes i understand this Pete, but i presume you trade the same size with each trade?
Generally, yes. I trade a regular position and if the market is unusually volatile then I use a 1/2 position to limit risk a little.

In answer to your question, a regular position with a 10 pip win would be about .8% of acct.
From a risk standpoint, 10 losses in a row at an average loss of 10 pips each would represent about 8%.

For the record I don't compound anything. I remove profits every so often. What good is it to make money if you don't use it!

Peter
Thanks! The following members like this post: Doomberg